Any Bids for Upgrade been accepted?

RBrowny

First time MSC cruises, and we're patiently waiting for a response regarding a potential upgrade on the MSC World Europa.

Have any of you had upgrades, and if so, how were you notified? We travel in 20 days, so would love to find out more information - then I can get even more excited.

Fingers crossed we get the upgrade.

13 hours ago, RBrowny said:

First time MSC cruises, and we're patiently waiting for a response regarding a potential upgrade on the MSC World Europa.

Have any of you had upgrades, and if so, how were you notified? We travel in 20 days, so would love to find out more information - then I can get even more excited.

Fingers crossed we get the upgrade.

If you travel in 20 days you should be notified soon. I'd say a week at most, but with all things MSC, YMMV 🙂

We were only notified by email 3 days prior to the cruise, they billed the credit card immediately. Ours was not a cheap upgrade because the cruise was almost entirely booked. It was pretty close to the price for YC if we had booked it to begin with.

We never got the correct updated paperwork despite calling about it when we saw our "upgraded" paperwork still had us in our original room. We were told it would be handled at the port when we checked in. It wasn't. They knew nothing about it in the port, at customer service on the ship, or in the Yacht club on shore and on the ship. We were given our original room on board and literally treated like we were scammers when we tried to get it corrected, accused of making fake receipts and emails when we showed them the email confirmation and copy of the credit card transaction. It appears that this happened to several other people on our cruise (those who would have been upgraded into the couple YC suites still available and the chain of upgrades that leads to), and that it had been happening for several months prior to our cruise based on what staff told us (and seeing a couple older posts here), yet nothing had been implemented to try to address this on-going issue.

We finally did get moved to Yacht club halfway through the cruise after corporate took days to confirm the upgrade. The Yacht Club director stated that getting an upgrade confirmation after boarding had never happened before, despite several others previously being in a similar situation. Eventually MSC did give us a pro-rated refund for the time we were not allowed our upgrade, but that took more than a couple weeks after we got back home. Hopefully they've finally corrected this issue since they've had about 6 more months now. But I would be very hesitant to ever bid on an upgrade again.

Not trying to complain, we ended up happy with the resolution in the end. MSC eventually made it right. Just be aware that they have a history of significant issues with their upgrade process, at least for the Caribbean cruises leaving from the US.

• Like 2

A third party operator does the bidding process for the, and Royal Caribbean, it is not reported to MSC quickly. It usually take 3-4 days.... 

As far as notification we found out 2 days before our cruise-others up tot weeks for the notification... MSC won't know until they are notified-so calling is of no use....

Guest Cable3232

Isn't the first rule of MSC cruising -  Don't make changes after final payment unless you like a hard life?

Edited by Cable3232

@jame_g - wow , what a nightmare for you. Not quite as high an upgrade , my friend bid from inside to balcony , she got the acceptance e.mail and money taken out of her account but she had the same thing happen though it was never resolved onboard . The hours she spent before the cruise chasing up new paperwork for a new cabin number and then onboard the ship, she never did get what her acceptance e.mail promised.  Felt so sorry for her and she was travelling with a first time cruiser too .

This was for a cruise booked through the UK and sailing from the UK so doesn't just happen in the US. 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 5:13 PM, jame_g said:

We were only notified by email 3 days prior to the cruise........

I've cut your full quote for brevity, but your experience is an absolute disgrace and you should have been compensated on top of the pro-rata refund at the very least.

• Like 2

Same position as you RBrowny.

Didnt want to put drinks package bids in, incase our YC Upgrade offer was accepted (booking manually shows over 15+ rooms still available) .

Im now concerned its running too close to sailing date (Sunday) and that they will not be notified in good time upgrade was accepted and have the same horror issues that others have had.

Tempted to remove the offers.

12 minutes ago, ExeCuteUK said:

Same position as you RBrowny.

Didnt want to put drinks package bids in, incase our YC Upgrade offer was accepted (booking manually shows over 15+ rooms still available) .

Im now concerned its running too close to sailing date (Sunday) and that they will not be notified in good time upgrade was accepted and have the same horror issues that others have had.

Tempted to remove the offers.

It seems a difficult one, our bid is pretty good for an infinite ocean view room, so I'm just hoping. I don't know how the process works for this, but you'd expect it to be quite simple - it doesn't seem that way. 

I think they can notify you three days before, any less and it won't matter as you'll know you won't have the upgrade.

Just now, RBrowny said:

It seems a difficult one, our bid is pretty good for an infinite ocean view room, so I'm just hoping. I don't know how the process works for this, but you'd expect it to be quite simple - it doesn't seem that way. 

I think they can notify you three days before, any less and it won't matter as you'll know you won't have the upgrade.

Unfortunately I think the drinks pre paid options for us close 3 days prior also 🙂

And then the worry if your offer will get sent through in good time to MSC before you sail.

had an upgrade bit accepted today (24 days out from sailing) - initial new booking confirmation showed the cabin change but not the experience.

Sent a quick email explaining and new booking confirmation issued within an hour showing the cabin change and experience added under the extras panel (you know where they show the gratuities, obc and drinks etc).

Also logged into MSC for me app and it is showing cabin and experience as it now should be since the upgrade. 

1 hour ago, SirJackDaniels said:

had an upgrade bit accepted today (24 days out from sailing) - initial new booking confirmation showed the cabin change but not the experience.

Sent a quick email explaining and new booking confirmation issued within an hour showing the cabin change and experience added under the extras panel (you know where they show the gratuities, obc and drinks etc).

Also logged into MSC for me app and it is showing cabin and experience as it now should be since the upgrade. 

Nice one!

I had the below email from msc regarding upgrading to YC so I'm a little confused.

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email. 

In regards to the upgrade , If you do get upgraded to Yacht club cabins it will only be an upgrade of the room and not the full experience. Therefore a drink package will not be included. 

If any further assistance is required please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Kind regards 

Pamela Dudzinska

Contact Centre Agent

MSC Cruises Ltd

31 minutes ago, ExeCuteUK said:

Nice one!

I had the below email from msc regarding upgrading to YC so I'm a little confused.

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email. 

In regards to the upgrade , If you do get upgraded to Yacht club cabins it will only be an upgrade of the room and not the full experience. Therefore a drink package will not be included. 

If any further assistance is required please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Kind regards 

Pamela Dudzinska

Contact Centre Agent

MSC Cruises Ltd

Might be worth pointing Pamela to the acutal upgrade bid t&c's, specifically points 17 & 21.

MSC Cruises | Terms and Conditions (plusgrade.com)

17. The Upgrade does not include any additional promotions. Guests whose upgrade bid is accepted will receive the experience level included with their original reservation. The exceptions will be in the case of a Winning Bid in “Aurea” or “Yacht Club” Experience. In these cases, the Guests will also be guaranteed all the benefits relative to the new experience. (I added the bold myself).

21. If the Guest wins an Upgrade to an "Aurea" or "Yacht Club" experience cabin, the original booked experience "Bella" or "Fantastica" will be changed with the new experience "Aurea" or "Yacht Club". The new experience will guarantee to Guests all the benefits related to the "Aurea" or "Yacht Club" experience.

Good luck ExeCute 😉

Edited by SirJackDaniels
update

20 minutes ago, SirJackDaniels said:

Might be worth pointing Pamela to the acutal upgrade bid t&c's, specifically points 17 & 21.

MSC Cruises | Terms and Conditions (plusgrade.com)

17. The Upgrade does not include any additional promotions. Guests whose upgrade bid is accepted will receive the experience level included with their original reservation. The exceptions will be in the case of a Winning Bid in “Aurea” or “Yacht Club” Experience. In these cases, the Guests will also be guaranteed all the benefits relative to the new experience. (I added the bold myself).

21. If the Guest wins an Upgrade to an "Aurea" or "Yacht Club" experience cabin, the original booked experience "Bella" or "Fantastica" will be changed with the new experience "Aurea" or "Yacht Club". The new experience will guarantee to Guests all the benefits related to the "Aurea" or "Yacht Club" experience.

Good luck ExeCute 😉

Really appreciate your help.

My question to them was if I purchased a drinks package then got upgraded to yc would I get a refund. 

I don't suppose you have any educated guesses on this matter as this CS seems useless!

54 minutes ago, ExeCuteUK said:

My question to them was if I purchased a drinks package then got upgraded to yc would I get a refund. 

I don't suppose you have any educated guesses on this matter as this CS seems useless!

Unfortunately not Execute.

Point 18.......

18. All services that have been purchased and / or prepaid before the Winning Bid event for an upgrade in "Aurea" or "Yacht Club" experience will not be refunded if the same service, of the same or higher quality, is included in the new experience resulting from the Winning Bid.

3 hours ago, SirJackDaniels said:

24 days out, wow. We go in 10 days and heard nothing, our arrow was on the top end of good. I just want to plan it around the new room, but waiting and waiting - it's a pain haha

13 hours ago, RBrowny said:

24 days out, wow. We go in 10 days and heard nothing, our arrow was on the top end of good. I just want to plan it around the new room, but waiting and waiting - it's a pain haha

4 Days out, ours was on Superb for 2 months.

Ive now cancelled the offer. (Web showing 15 rooms for sale still)

1 hour ago, ExeCuteUK said:

4 Days out, ours was on Superb for 2 months.

Ive now cancelled the offer. (Web showing 15 rooms for sale still)

4 days out, and if there's nothing, we know not to expect an email?

Have you just took the offer out and keeping with your original rooms?

15 hours ago, ExeCuteUK said:

We paid for a liquor package on the Divina then bid for a YC and was accepted.  We both got a refund for the liquor package.  

3 minutes ago, riredsox said:

We paid for a liquor package on the Divina then bid for a YC and was accepted.  We both got a refund for the liquor package.  

Its sad that I have the MSC Customer support on emails saying the opposite.

They are so confusing sometimes!

Thanks

58 minutes ago, ExeCuteUK said:

Its sad that I have the MSC Customer support on emails saying the opposite.

They are so confusing sometimes!

Thanks

My regular TA won’t book MSC because of their customer service.  Keep trying!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CTRobin said:

Eleven days from sailing and I noticed the charge pending on my credit card yesterday for the upgrade but no email or change in the room is reflected on the website as of yet. 

I've just checked my banking and have nothing pending, so assuming still nothing. I think you'll get notified in the coming days - well done!