Suggestions for Pre-Cruise in Hanoi

worcestergal

Next March, we will be taking The Scenic “Highlights of Cambodia, Vietnam and Luxury Mekong” trip. Since it is such a long flight to Vietnam, we plan to arrive in Hanoi several days before the Scenic trip begins. Now I’m looking for suggestions on how to make the most of a couple of extra days in Hanoi. 

First, hotel recommendations would be great. I really don’t want to spend the over $500 per night for Scenic’s hotel there!

Second, I would appreciate suggestions for things to do or sights to see which are not included in the Scenic itinerary and would be great to introduce us to the city (and help with the expected jet lag). I did reach out to a guide from Tours by Locals, but her proposal would have us doing more travel to areas outside Hanoi and, after a 22-hour flight, that doesn’t sound like a good idea!

Thanks. 

We have booked a similar trip in February with APT and are flying in a couple of days before, just like you. We have booked the Oriental Jade hotel for the extra nights. Never been before but it gets really good reviews on Booking.com.

Back in 2018, we stayed at the Pan Pacific, Hanoi. It is not in the old quarter, but out near West Lake and Truc Bach Lake. On our arrival day we were able to walk around the smaller lake stopping for local coffee, had lunch at a local cafe (the pho they served was unique to the area). There are a couple of temples out there which you most likely won't visit on your included tour.

I have looked at your itinerary and you will most likely visit The Temple of Literature, One Pillar Pagoda and Ho Chi Mihns house and probably the "Hanoi Hilton". All are worthy of a visit.

On your free day - I would look at doing a street food tour - if that interests you or maybe a cooking class. Walking around the Old Quarter is always fun and hectic. (There are many cheap 3 star hotels in the old quarter, if you are interested). 

Not sure if of interest, but I have been to the Lacquer factory (art place) - interesting to see them doing stuff with egg shells etc - and yes it is a "shopping stop".

This is the view from the Pan Pac roof top bar.

IMG_1965.JPG

Hubby and I just spent several days in Hanoi in late December. We stayed at the lovely Sinfonia del Rey Hotel, with a view over the park. It is bookable on major hotel booking sites, but we found the best deal by booking direct and booking far in advance. For one of the nights we booked a stay with dinner included in their restaurant, and that was a wonderful experience. 

We loved Hanoi. I did a posting on cruisecritic of our trip, I'll try to find the link in case you are interested. 

Thanks so much, @vada_9 and @terry&mike!

I love the idea of a cooking class and a street food tour (kind of a theme, there, I think 🤔). 
I will also check out the Sinfonia hotel. 
@terry&mike, I followed your report on your trip while you were posting and I’ve actually gone back to reread it. It has me really looking forward to our trip!

• Like 1

I was in Hanoi in October 2017 before a cruise on the AmaDara. I stayed at the Hanoi La Siesta hotel right in the heart of the old quarter. They were very friendly. When I asked about buying a SIM card for my phone someone went and picked one up for me and charged it to my room. They greeted me by name every time I came in. 

I did lots of different things in my 3 extra days. I did a street food tour by motorbike, and another Vintage Vespa tour. I went to the Vietnamese Women’s Museum. If your tour doesn’t go, I suggest doing a water puppet show. I also have an interest in ethnology, so I arranged a visit to the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology for the day after my nighttime arrival, and found that I was too tired to appreciate it. 

Checkout Hanoikids for tours. These are conducted by students who want to improve their English, are free - you just pay their travel costs, entrance fees and we also bought them lunch and coffees. There is a similar group in Ho Chi Minh City. You can change their suggested tours to suit you. We had a wonderful day with our guides - visited the Temple of Literature, had egg coffee, visited the Ethnology museum and a very nice lunch. Walked around the streets and red bridge over lake. We stayed at the Hanoi Opera Hotel as this was the hotel for our tour. Was a good location not sure if it is in your price range but if there is a hotel nearby I would consider staying in the area. Loved Vietnam and would like to go back.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Hotel Anatole as that was the host hotel for our cruise with Emerald in February.  Close to the Old Quarter, so a great location.

We did a tour with Tours by Locals...and it was wonderful.  We did get to see the Railway market (although it is "closed" to tourists, our guide got us in there!!), had egg coffee, saw the B52 Lake,  the Hanoi Hilton, and went into Ho's Mausoleum.  That was a duplicate of part of our included tour with Emerald, but glad we went.  Our tour with Emerald was on a Monday, so we only saw the outside of the mausoleum as the mausoleum is closed to visitors on Monday. So glad we had made the trip on Saturday.  We also had lunch included - and it was amazing.  We had Bun Cha at a local restaurant (they only serve one thing - so no menus!!) and enjoyed the time sitting outside and watching everything going on.  

We got quite good at crossing the street(s) while we were there...  You just step on the curb and walk... You don't run, and you don't stop.  You just trust that the cars and motorbikes will stop or go around you.  A bit nerve wracking the first couple of times - but we felt we had mastered it by the time we left Hanoi.

Fran

• 3 months later...
On 4/16/2023 at 7:41 AM, terry&mike said:

Hubby and I just spent several days in Hanoi in late December. We stayed at the lovely Sinfonia del Rey Hotel, with a view over the park.

I would also recommend that hotel.  Beautiful Sky Bar.   

• Like 1