Excursion Listed on emailed PDF but not on MVJ

Clay Clayton

@HUNKY, who is one of our traveling companions on our upcoming Iceland and Norwegian Arctic Explorer cruise requested and received a pdf of excursions before the excursions appeared in MVJ.  Our window opens in early May and we can now see the offerings in MVJ.  But, the pdf lists two included tours in Geiranger-a panoramic and a walking one. The description of both are virtually the same. 

Only the panoramic appears in MVJ and we would really like to book the walking tour.  He has reached out to both the agent who sent the pdf and to TellUs to ask if the walking tour is no longer being offered or if it’s accidentally missing from MVJ. To date he has not gotten a response. 

Has anyone else experience a similar conflict regarding excursions and if so, how were you able to resolve?

TIA

Edited by Clay Clayton

It wouldn't necessarily explain a missing walking tour, but I experienced a similar issue on our upcoming Great Lakes Collection cruise. An excursion listed on the general Viking site in the sales area showed an excursion that did not appear in MVJ. In checking into booking on my own, I discovered why it was missing. We are in port on Tuesday and the venue is closed on Tuesday. Perhaps the walking tour included stop(s) at places that will be closed that day.

As a FYI.  We LOVED the included Panoramic Grainger.  The scenery was spectacular and the 3 photo stops were awesome.  We did it at 2:00 pm and after our own walking tour in the AM. Relaxing on a bus was welcome.

In the morning we got an early tender arriving in "town" by 9 am.  It was blissfully empty.  We followed the path/road along the water to the campground.  From there we picked up the waterfall trail which took us to the Norwegian Fjord Centre.  The waterfall trail (Fossevandring Geiranger) is a series of metal stairs and level landings right along the river and waterfalls.  There are lookouts and spectacular viewpoints.  The Fjord Centre is a quirky museum of exhibits and has a beautiful film of the area through the seasons.  Some people take the road back down but we figured why walk with cars and buses when we can take the same trail back.  The walk back down was crowded with people coming up by late morning.  Along the trail you see some turf roof homes and pretty cottages.  It's a nice local experience.  We were back in town around 12:30 so instead of returning to the ship we had lunch along the dock and explored the shops and trolls until our 2 pm included.

You can find this info on Google Maps.  It's a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal to the campground.  Turning left when you see the campers you will easily see the trail.

It is also well worth it to get up at 5 am while the ship is still sailing the fjords.  The light and quiet was magical.  Ship departs the same way but the sun was hazy by then and the EL jam packed.  I am not a morning person but this morning was well worth it.

IMG_20180702_114936499.thumb.jpg.41c93392aa4ae5f28cdf8b6635d3b246.jpgIMG_20180702_114936499.thumb.jpg.41c93392aa4ae5f28cdf8b6635d3b246.jpg

IMG_20180702_063739292.jpg

IMG_20180702_063550598.jpg

IMG_20180702_093624993.jpg

IMG_20180702_094308579_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

MVJ is the main resource for all available excursions.  Anything on the website or a PDF may or may not be included, for multiple reasons.  Sometimes your specific itinerary or dates may be a factor (traveling during a holiday in that country, for example).  I frequently check MVJ for updates.  I will say that on my most recent Viking cruise last month, we had a new excursion appear only three weeks before departure, so it is never completely clear how decisions are made.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ropomo said:

It wouldn't necessarily explain a missing walking tour, but I experienced a similar issue on our upcoming Great Lakes Collection cruise. An excursion listed on the general Viking site in the sales area showed an excursion that did not appear in MVJ. In checking into booking on my own, I discovered why it was missing. We are in port on Tuesday and the venue is closed on Tuesday. Perhaps the walking tour included stop(s) at places that will be closed that day.

21 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

All tours listed on the website are not necessarily offered on all sailings. 

There is a caveat on the website to that effect. I wanted to copy it here but I'm working on a tablet and have no idea how to do it. 

18 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

MVJ is the main resource for all available excursions.  Anything on the website or a PDF may or may not be included, for multiple reasons.  Sometimes your specific itinerary or dates may be a factor (traveling during a holiday in that country, for example).  I frequently check MVJ for updates.  I will say that on my most recent Viking cruise last month, we had a new excursion appear only three weeks before departure, so it is never completely clear how decisions are made.  

The pdf is labeled with the the name and date of our cruise so I figured it was what ends up in the booklet that we will get just before we cruise. 

FWIW, we just signed up for our excursions in July yesterday (PV), and only a couple of days before Viking added a smattering of extra excursions to each port and tweaked the language on some. 

We were fortunate to get what we wanted (Vigur Island—yay!) but we’re doing a few private tours too where we’d like experiences Viking doesn’t offer.

Will also keep checking to see if they have any last minute additions.

Our cruise is Bergen to Reykjavik July 5-19.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

FWIW, we just signed up for our excursions in July yesterday (PV), and only a couple of days before Viking added a smattering of extra excursions to each port and tweaked the language on some. 

We were fortunate to get what we wanted (Vigur Island—yay!) but we’re doing a few private tours too where we’d like experiences Viking doesn’t offer.

Will also keep checking to see if they have any last minute additions.

Our cruise is Bergen to Reykjavik July 5-19.

Did you have the option of a walking tour in Geiranger?

Congratulations on Vigur.  🤞we get it. 

On 4/19/2023 at 10:36 AM, Peregrina651 said:

All tours listed on the website are not necessarily offered on all sailings. 

There is a caveat on the website to that effect. I wanted to copy it here but I'm working on a tablet and have no idea how to do it. 

Precisely.

I booked Into the Midnight Sun excited to take tours like Churchill's War Room and it never appeared on MVJ, Viking rep told me that not all advertised tours are available on all sailings. Bummer.
(Flying early & doing it on our own)