Earbuds for excursions?

I remember reading older post here about Regent using earbuds and smartphones for excursion audio but I don't see anything about that in the cruise documents or website. Is Regent still using their App with cellphones and earbuds or have they gone back to VOX or something else?

We enjoy listening to what the best guides have to say about places we've never been, and feel their information and explanations can really enhance a tour-- but I sort of hate earbuds. Also I know I'm probably the exception, but I'm not excited about wrangling my cell phone on every excursion, especially if my outfit doesn't have pockets.

In the numerous Regent cruises we've taken since they announced the use of the app with your own phone and ear buds, NONE have used this capability.  This is perhaps the only area where Viking beats Regent hands down.  On Viking, each suite has a recharging stand that keeps the mobile devices always ready to go.  Especially when visiting museums where the guides can't raise their voices, these devices are invaluable.

• Like 2

Countess, on our Montreal to NYC cruise last May we had one tour in Quebec City where the guide tried gamely to use the app. There were a number of issues as people tried to connect. DH was excited to be able to stream the audio through his Bluetooth enabled hearing aids and was easily able to connect.  But the reality was we were a small enough group (<20 people) and the guide was one of the top five best guides we have ever had anywhere that we and the rest of the group didn’t need the audio from the app. We didn’t need the app for the remainder of our excursions on that cruise partly due to smaller groups as Navigator was not booked at 100% due to COVID at that time.

We have used earbuds successfully with Scenic on river cruises. They worked quite well and had a handy charging station in our suite as another poster described for Viking. 

• Like 1

Several guides used the system on our Splendor cruise last July. I found it very useful but also a little frustrating. Some people had trouble connecting which meant a few minutes at the beginning of each excursion of tech support. Then during the tour there would be occasional dropped connections, which could be fixed by reconnecting but was a hassle. 

I heard on this board in the following months that Regent quit using it while they work to make it more dependable or find a better option. 

I’m hard of hearing. On top of that I like to pause and look at things or finish reading a sign, so I can’t comfortably stay next to the guide. I hope Regent comes up with a good solution soon. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Countess Rosamunde said:

There is an app called RSSC Smartguide. I just downloaded it yesterday.

Where was no phone app used on the Regent tours we were on on the Splendor 12/3 -12/20/22 and the Navigator12/22- 1/5/23. There was once a app used sone places but seemed like there were problems…. Mainly guides didn’t like it or not available to them and some passengers complained. It was not used on the 2018 WC tours that we were on either.

19 hours ago, Countess Rosamunde said:

There is an app called RSSC Smartguide. I just downloaded it yesterday.

Thanks Countess. I had searched under Regent and didn’t think to try RSSC. I downloaded the app just in case but I suspect our experience will be the same as cwn’s. 

This app has been a problem since it was first released.  It worked at fairly well about 80% of the time when it was used maybe 3 years ago or so on one of my cruises.  Last year on a cruise to Alaska, the app was never used.  

The app description says Regent is committed to providing a truly "unrivaled experience."  I think they accomplished that with the app, just not in the way they intended.  If the app worked properly and it was used, it would be great for guests on tours instead of trying to crowd around a tour guide to hear a spoken voice.  

Why Regent doesn't let guests know about what is going on with something such as this app is a mystery.  The communications division needs to get its act together about its communication to guests!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Moore said:

Good morning everyone. I can confirm that the old SmartGuide app is not currently in use on any of our ships.

Thanks, Mike

Any plans to replace the system with something else?

The few times we got to use it we found it very useful, but I know a few guests had difficulty connecting and some guides refused to carry the Wi-Fi transmitter 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Thanks, Mike

Any plans to replace the system with something else?

The few times we got to use it we found it very useful, but I know a few guests had difficulty connecting and some guides refused to carry the Wi-Fi transmitter 

We're hoping to find a solution that works more efficiently for both guests and guides, but at this time nothing is imminent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

I appreciate Mike Moore stepping in to respond and clarify the issue.  

But his response raises another question:  Why is the app still available in the app store with no indication that it is no longer being used?  

It will be removed shortly.

• Like 2