Coronation celebrations

Sue-B

Just arrived back home, it made a good break to get away for a few days, however wasnt the best of experiences. We had booked early sitting for dinner and when we got on board found a card on board to say it wasnt available we would have to book each day, we didnt bother as we didnt want to queue.. The app was seldom available, same issue with internet for the majority of the cruise. The ship in areas is getting tatty particularly balconies where rust has been neglected. Food overall was not of the usual standard and there was definitely evidence of cutbacks. We have our next cruises booked on Queen Victoria and this will be our last on Queen Mary 2. 

I have to second the internet experience. We each had $80 credit towards the cost of internet, which was $90 for the entire cruise or $24 per day, basic access only. It was dire. We upgraded to the premium package for the last two days, but still struggled to get on line. If we had been paying, we would not have been happy! I also agree that the dining experience was disappointing when compared to our transatlantic last November. Poor quality cuts of meat, beef and lamb and a disorganised and slow dinner waiter, meant our food was often only lukewarm when served. For the first time ever we chose to eat in Kings Court for the last two days, where at least we could get hot food, instead of Britannia. We enjoyed the entertainment provided by The four D's and The Little Opera company, but thought the production shows had fallen victim to budget cuts. In the cabin, no shower caps ( were they previously provided?) and no writing paper, envelopes or postcards. We did however have a great cabin steward, Ting, who was very attentive. We didn’t attempt afternoon tea or the Coronation street party, as both events appeared to be a mad scramble. As someone else has suggested, 800 first time cruisers trying to experience everything made for a hectic schedule. Having said all that we did have the quickest embarkation and disembarkation ever. On board by 11.15 am and straight off to collect baggage at 8.00am. Overall not the best QM2 experience we have had, but considering the price it was fine.

I managed to get a cabin for the Coronation cruise too. It was fantastic. Very busy onboard but I did get into afternoon tea and the Coronation Street party. Well worth it. Fab experience 🙂

• Like 6

Internet definitely patchy from useless 12mbps to 150mbps if you sat near Pursers desks 

Food quality varied and often lukewarm 

However the infiltration of Anytime diners from Deck 3 Britania  being suddenly ushered down and put on any empty tables on Deck 2 at 7pm was ridiculous as were the excuses for same 

6pm with 6.15 close is what is published and they should stick to it 

Thank you all for the reports and the photographs from the last minute QM2 Coronation cruise. 

It sounds as if this was the first real stress test of Open dining with lots of new passengers choosing that option and mostly UK based passengers.

• Like 1

We were on second sitting, with a table for 6. We had a lovely window table and a great set of diners. No issues at all, with food, waiters or sommelier. All good. And never a queue to go in, even on the first night, when they opened the doors a little early.

We had a lovely cruise and enjoyed all the events that had been put on. The only downside is that my husband tested positive for covid, this morning. Likely to be from the country fair, which was very crowded and busy. Luckily, he seems ok, so far. And I am testing negative at the moment.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

We were on second sitting, with a table for 6. We had a lovely window table and a great set of diners. No issues at all, with food, waiters or sommelier. All good. And never a queue to go in, even on the first night, when they opened the doors a little early.

We had a lovely cruise and enjoyed all the events that had been put on. The only downside is that my husband tested positive for covid, this morning. Likely to be from the country fair, which was very crowded and busy. Luckily, he seems ok, so far. And I am testing negative at the moment.

Sorry to hear that.  Hope he gets through it quickly, and you don't get it.

• Like 1