QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April

avalon1025

Credit Cards are key, without them and a substantial line of credit, it is really not safe to travel.   At least you will have 30 to 60 days to pay the credit card bill.   If you bought travel insurance, it would cover an economy class ticket home plus additional for hotels and meals.   This would also not be an immediate payment.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mdavid17 said:

That only makes it more frustrating. If they're willing to help you find a way home they should be contacting their other customers and helping them as well. It's not like they don't know our nationality, or how to reach us. Reaching out to find out if they could help would have gone a long way to making this more palatable, even if it was only a token effort. It is the right thing to do.

I suspect the difference is that the customers already on board have had a a journey curtailed that was part-way through.  Others have not yet embarked so that is a different class.

Having cruised last year on long trips on QE which was all pieced together by me I  was always aware that if for some reason the ship couldn't sail/ sailed without me because we had COVID - then it was my problem to get to the next part of our trip. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Credit Cards are key, without them and a substantial line of credit, it is really not safe to travel.   At least you will have 30 to 60 days to pay the credit card bill.   If you bought travel insurance, it would cover an economy class ticket home plus additional for hotels and meals.   This would also not be an immediate payment.

We posted at the same time! 

I agree re credit cards but I  checked my travel insurance for an upcoming trip this year - it would give us about US$700 for trip interruption but wouldn't pay for alternative travel arrangements. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I guess for me, it was at first it seemed like Cunard was just not providing assistance to get people home and that the "assistance" was the 20% FCC.   But a current report is that folks are on board, Cunard is soliciting air travel requests, and presumably will be helping international folks find their way home.   Given that, I think that the 20% is okay. 

For those who didn't make it on board, it is a different story. Not everybody is being treated the same way. Many international travelers were not informed as to how Cunard would help us. If they had reached out and informed us as to how they would help, I'd be more than happy to take the FCC and assistance. That is what they should have done for all international travelers, not just those who showed up at the port. 

• Like 2

We are among those affected. Were due to sail from NY to S'Hampton next Sunday.  Thankfully we have been able to make other arrangements for sailing, but are told that we will lose the OBC and hotel charges which were complimentary when we booked almost a year ago.  It was not our choice to cancel this crossing (and not Cunards 'choice' obviously) but why should we forgo the benefits as booked? In addition were booked to return to US later in the month of May but now Cunard cannot get us to the UK meaning that the return journey cannot now be undertaken. Waiting to hear whether or not we will have to pay full price for 'cancelling' the return portion of the voyage. No answer from Cunard rep today. Anyone else in the same position?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lissie said:

I suspect the difference is that the customers already on board have had a a journey curtailed that was part-way through.  Others have not yet embarked so that is a different class.

That differentiation is hardly reasonable from any practical viewpoint, and most certainly not for elderly travelers with health and mobility issues.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, amias said:

We are among those affected. Were due to sail from NY to S'Hampton next Sunday.  Thankfully we have been able to make other arrangements for sailing, but are told that we will lose the OBC and hotel charges which were complimentary when we booked almost a year ago.  It was not our choice to cancel this crossing (and not Cunards 'choice' obviously) but why should we forgo the benefits as booked? In addition were booked to return to US later in the month of May but now Cunard cannot get us to the UK meaning that the return journey cannot now be undertaken. Waiting to hear whether or not we will have to pay full price for 'cancelling' the return portion of the voyage. No answer from Cunard rep today. Anyone else in the same position?

That really is an interesting question. I have taken the QM2 to England, vacationed and then travelled back.  If they cancelled the journey to England then the return would be moot.  For personal reasons I can not fly.  

Keep us posted as to what happens!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mdavid17 said:

That differentiation is hardly reasonable from any practical viewpoint, and most certainly not for elderly travelers with health and mobility issues.

Well it is - its specifically mentioned in my travel insurance as being different clauses.  I don't see  how the state of health of customers should change the way Cunard deals with them. Basically  Cunard only has to provide alternative transportation if you booked a package with them -and if that alternative is a flight then obviously the airline will deal with any special needs. 

From a practical point of view you need to be on your phone checking for options - the same way as you do if a flight is cancelled 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, mdavid17 said:

For those who didn't make it on board, it is a different story. Not everybody is being treated the same way. Many international travelers were not informed as to how Cunard would help us. If they had reached out and informed us as to how they would help, I'd be more than happy to take the FCC and assistance. That is what they should have done for all international travelers, not just those who showed up at the port. 

Surely you got an email?  Cunard has every one's email - and just like with airlines I keep a close eye on my email prior to departure. I don't give them my phone number if I can help it because I don't know whether I'll have a mobile connection or not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lissie said:

Surely you got an email?  Cunard has every one's email - and just like with airlines I keep a close eye on my email prior to departure. I don't give them my phone number if I can help it because I don't know whether I'll have a mobile connection or not. 

You've clearly not read my posts. Good day.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Not being able to fly is a major problem.   If you are on a voyage and have a serious health issue do you just remain in the nearest port until a ship comes by?   At least you won’t need to pay for medical insurance.

Indeed. I was hoping to use this trip as a proof-of-concept that my mother could do a cruise without my assistance (albeit something closer to home--like a St. Lawrence cruise or the Caribbean). This experience has taught me that this is not an option. 

Edited by mdavid17
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Not being able to fly is a major problem.   If you are on a voyage and have a serious health issue do you just remain in the nearest port until a ship comes by?   At least you won’t need to pay for medical insurance.

We know exactly how not being able to fly works out. In March 2020 the QM2 was stopped in Fremantle and had to debark everyone on board. Perth is  widely claimed to being the most remote city in the world and I've lived there and would agree.  

Plenty of those who "couldn't" fly turned out they could, given the option was a very uncertain month or so with no stops and no cruise ships as the ship sailed straight to the UK. 

• Like 5

I thank those of you who offered advice and sympathy. I do not post on Internet forums because I find them full of unhelpful people who like to argue for the sake of being argumentative.

I will take my leave of your community and bid you all safe and happy travels.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mdavid17 said:

I thank those of you who offered advice and sympathy. I do not post on Internet forums because I find them full of unhelpful people who like to argue for the sake of being argumentative.

I will take my leave of your community and bid you all safe and happy travels.

I think everyone who has read or heard about the issues today has sympathy for all those impacted.  Each travel case is different which is why it is almost impossible to find a solution that works for all. I would hope that if you read back through the messages you’ll recognise that all posters here have done is try to understand the issues and help or offer some sympathy.  It’s clearly been a stressful day for yourself and your mum, and I sincerely hope you are able to enjoy your onward alternative travels.  Safe journey home.

• Like 3

I am terribly sorry to read that the crossing is canceled. Not Cunard´s fault- but still I can imagine how dissapointed you all are. I was booked on both canceled voyages but had to jump ship, due to a family crisis- illness. All the best for you all.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I am terribly sorry to read that the crossing is canceled. Not Cunard´s fault- but still I can imagine how dissapointed you all are. I was booked on both canceled voyages but had to jump ship, due to a family crisis- illness. All the best for you all.

Thank you for checking in. 

• Like 2

My husband and I are seasoned travelers.  We have cruised on several cruise lines.  We are elite with Princess.  I say this to illustrate that we have been on many cruises.  I’m merely a bystander today but I am appalled with Cunard’s behavior with regard to their passengers over these cancelled cruises.  I understand clearly what they are legally required to do, but what they SHOULD have done is an entirely different story.  I feel bad for every passenger impacted by Cunard’s treatment of them.  

On every cruise we have ever sailed we have encountered people who are physically impaired for one reason or another.  Many of these people are frequent cruisers.  Inevitably the most frequent cruisers with physical limitations told us that they boarded cruises near their home (no flights), took a taxi or town car to the ship (limited ground transportation) and rarely got off the ship in port (decreasing the risk of unforeseen obstacles leading to injury).  A fair amount of these people cruised b2b or moved from one ship to another at the same port so as to experience different itineraries.  For the most savvy traveler, today would be challenging.  For the person who’s only form of travel is cruising the requirement to find a last minute flight, book an overnight stay etc. could seem insurmountable.  Cunard should assist EVERY passenger with booking flights and hotel or at least offer to do so. Not just the few who had the good fortune to be onboard before the cruise was cancelled. It would have cost Cunard relatively little to assign employees the task of contacting the passengers and helping them find alternative transportation.  Regarding who should pay for it is a different topic…I can see both sides to that question.  

Additionally to imply that an older single person using a walker or not should not cruise is incredibly insensitive.  Would I do it?  No, but I’m not going to judge someone else whose choice is different.

• Like 7

I was in Florida a few years ago and spoke to some of the Royal Caribbean employees who worked in the cruise terminal in Miami. They told me there is usually people who show up too late to board the cruise either they are stupid by being late or because the airlines messed up. In the case of them just being late Royal Caribbean instructs them to stay and try to help the people find a hotel or flights or both. Not at Royal’s expense, but just helping out for customer service. That’s something that Cunard should be doing here. I’m not saying they should be financially responsible. Stuff happens and people should have travel insurance if they feel they need to. But it just a decent thing for Cunard to do. It’s why I generally don’t like the Carnival brand in general. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

My husband and I are seasoned travelers.  We have cruised on several cruise lines.  We are elite with Princess.  I say this to illustrate that we have been on many cruises.  I’m merely a bystander today but I am appalled with Cunard’s behavior with regard to their passengers over these cancelled cruises.  I understand clearly what they are legally required to do, but what they SHOULD have done is an entirely different story.  I feel bad for every passenger impacted by Cunard’s treatment of them.  

On every cruise we have ever sailed we have encountered people who are physically impaired for one reason or another.  Many of these people are frequent cruisers.  Inevitably the most frequent cruisers with physical limitations told us that they boarded cruises near their home (no flights), took a taxi or town car to the ship (limited ground transportation) and rarely got off the ship in port (decreasing the risk of unforeseen obstacles leading to injury).  A fair amount of these people cruised b2b or moved from one ship to another at the same port so as to experience different itineraries.  For the most savvy traveler, today would be challenging.  For the person who’s only form of travel is cruising the requirement to find a last minute flight, book an overnight stay etc. could seem insurmountable.  Cunard should assist EVERY passenger with booking flights and hotel or at least offer to do so. Not just the few who had the good fortune to be onboard before the cruise was cancelled. It would have cost Cunard relatively little to assign employees the task of contacting the passengers and helping them find alternative transportation.  Regarding who should pay for it is a different topic…I can see both sides to that question.  

Additionally to imply that an older single person using a walker or not should not cruise is incredibly insensitive.  Would I do it?  No, but I’m not going to judge someone else whose choice is different.

I know this was about 27 years ago, but we were on a Holland America Panama Canal cruise. As we left Grand Cayman, our last stop, there was an explosion in the engine room. We were delayed getting into Fort Lauderdale by several hours   I realize they had a day at sea to take care of things, but they rebooked everyone’s air arrangements. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, safarigal said:

For those of us on Queen Mary 2 trying to get back to the US, we have filled out a form stating our preferences for flights home and we are waiting to hear back. Meanwhile on board it is almost surreal as nothing seems to have changed - the musicians play, the entertainment continues, so all in all we are having a good, if not uncertain time. This evening we received a typical Daily Program for tomorrow, but no mention of when our flights home will be. It's a gala night tomorrow - black and white, and the insight speakers sound great, so I hope we will still be on board. Interesting times 🙂

Interesting times indeed, thank you for the update and enjoy your time in Southampton!

• Like 3

californiagirl Whilst they are wonderful with the disabled and elderly, Cunard is not a care facility and make their limitations with regards to the disabled and potentially infirm, very plain when booking and it’s up to individuals to be aware of this

Equally, those t&cs lay down their company obligations in certain circumstances. As I have already indicated, I have total sympathy for those who have had their holiday plans thwarted but whilst Cunard appear to be adhering to their contractual obligations to those who arrived on, and have onward travel on QM2, they seem to have no obligations to those who have yet to start their travel on Cunard.

No one expects 'things' to happen but if they do, that's what decent travel insurance is for and as far as onward/rearranged travel is concerned, that is when an excellent travel agent will come into his/her own. I bang my drum re agents all the time and like insurance, it's only when unforeseen circumstances occur, you realise how vital they are, good ones at any rate.

It is more than unfortunate when uninsured losses occur and it's very easy for me to say 'suck it up' from the comfort of my sitting room but sadly, it's a hard world out there these days. 😕

Edited by Victoria2
spelling
  • Like 4

According to the latest update on The Southampton VTS website - The Queen Mary 2 will be sailing for New York on the 27th April 2023, it certainly will not make it by the 30th April as planned but I wonder if the plan is for a couple of speedy round trip TA’s to return those passengers stranded here and then bring the east bound TA’s back to get back on schedule. Of course these things can change. Hope everyone gets sorted soon. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, lissie said:

Well it is - its specifically mentioned in my travel insurance as being different clauses.  I don't see  how the state of health of customers should change the way Cunard deals with them. Basically  Cunard only has to provide alternative transportation if you booked a package with them -and if that alternative is a flight then obviously the airline will deal with any special needs. 

From a practical point of view you need to be on your phone checking for options - the same way as you do if a flight is cancelled 

Just to b clear, no phone numbers were provided by Cunard. Viking offers travelers an emergency number for day of travel emergencies. Cunatd did not and was impossible to reach.

Like another poster, we lose significant OBC $750 yhat we had for the cruise for booking on board last year. Further, our travel insurance will not cover anything since Cunatd has given us our money back. So, essentially, we’ve spent $5,000 to stay in a mediocre hotel near Heathrow, eat simple meals and fly home on Wednesday. Not exactly Princess Grill, which we were so looking forward to. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:
californiagirl Whilst they are wonderful with the disabled and elderly, Cunard is not a care facility and make their limitations with regards to the disabled and potentially infirm, very plain when booking and it’s up to individuals to be aware of this

Equally, those t&cs lay down their company obligations in certain circumstances. As I have already indicated, I have total sympathy for those who have had their holiday plans thwarted but whilst Cunard appear to be adhering to their contractual obligations to those who arrived on, and have onward travel on QM2, they seem to have no obligations to those who have yet to start their travel on Cunard.

No one expects 'things' to happen but if they do, that's what decent travel insurance is for and as far as onward/rearranged travel is concerned, that is when an excellent travel agent will come into his/her own. I bang my drum re agents all the time and like insurance, it's only when unforeseen circumstances occur, you realise how vital they are, good ones at any rate.

It is more than unfortunate when uninsured losses occur and it's very easy for me to say 'suck it up' from the comfort of my sitting room but sadly, it's a hard world out there these days. 😕

I encourage you to read your travel insurance policy carefully before getting too excited. Cunard refunded your money. I doubt any if us will see a penny. 

• Like 1