Announcement About Three Of The Cruise Directors + Crystal Brand Ambassador

Keith1010

2023-04-24_09-44-03.thumb.png.7dec8a53b4953d88a5611d5d5d8558fe.pngI know several people have been asking about the Cruise Directors. Great news Please see press release from Crystal Cruises.

MIAMI – April 24, 2023. ‘Exceptional at Sea’ includes first-class Cruise Directors, and today Crystal announced the return of shipboard leaders as the brand continues to prepare for its inaugural season under new ownership.
Cruise veterans Rick Spath will bring out Crystal Serenity when the ship returns to service on July 31, and Russ Grieve will lead the team aboard Crystal Symphony starting with its inaugural voyage on Sept. 1. Raphael Derkson will also be returning, first to serve as the start-up Musical Director for Crystal Serenity and then take over as Cruise Director following Spath.
“Serving as Cruise Director is one of the most important roles onboard, and we are so excited to have this group rejoin our team,” said Vice President of Entertainment for Crystal, Keith Cox. “They each bring their own unique style which guests have come to know and love when sailing with Crystal.”
Rick Spath has been at sea for more than 40 years and first became a Cruise Director in 1984. He has been with Crystal for 18 years. The upcoming 2024 World Cruise will be the 17th voyage he has led. While he enjoys all the various parts of the world it takes him, his favorite region is the South Pacific. Originally from New Jersey, Spath now calls Charlotte home where he spends his vacations playing golf and spending time with his wife and four children.
Russ Grieve is excited to return and lead Crystal Symphony out on her inaugural voyage. An industry veteran, Grieve served as Cruise Director on the Azamara Quest for several years before joining the Crystal family in 2018. Prior to becoming a Cruise Director, he spent several years acting and singing, including a seven-and-a-half-year stint in the Broadway musical ‘MAMMA MIA!’. A California native, he enjoys working out and spending time with friends and family when not onboard.
Raphael Derkson was raised in Montreal and took to music at an early age. He graduated from the Montreal Conservatory of Music and continued his education at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, and the Herbert Bergof Acting Studio in New York. Attracted to travel, the entertainment world aboard cruise ships was a natural fit. Derkson joined Crystal in 1999 first in the role of Musical Director and eventually taking on the role of Cruise Director.
Additionally, Crystal Brand Ambassador Fernando Barroso de Oliveira will be on board Crystal Serenity’s full World Cruise.  He will be hosting guests in some daily activities and participating in some tours and shoreside events sharing his legendary advice and expertise.
Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony are currently undergoing extensive refurbishments in Trieste, Italy. When the ships debut, enhancements will include larger, updated suites with artisanal finishes, cutting-edge onboard wellness as well as a revamped spa and gym. Guests will also find new a new pickleball court along with refreshed entertainment and events.
Planned voyages will travel throughout the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Canada and New England, Alaska, the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, the Middle East, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Book one of the exceptional new itineraries by contacting your travel advisor, visiting crystalcruises.com, or calling 1-800-446-6620.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

RUSS IS BACK??? That's WONDERFUL!!!

I was actually going to post a question to the forum, wondering if anyone had heard if he was coming back or not. This makes ALL the difference! He was CD on my last Crystal cruise in 2019, and I just adore him. He made it such a special trip, in so many ways. I'm a terrible dancer, but he had me out on the floor doing a tango that would have earned at LEAST a 4 on DWTS! 😉

I'm so happy to hear this. I hope he sticks around so I can get on a cruise with him once we move back to land next year. 

This is happy news indeed. Thanks Keith! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I am very happy that these Cruise Directors are returning.  

It speaks volumes about each of them, the new Crystal, the crew, and the guests.

Keith

Yes it does speak volumes Keith. 

8 minutes ago, seaknots said:

impossible

crystal has not sailed yet

If you are taking a quote from a press release you should attribute it to the press release rather than to me.

With that said, they are saying this is the 17 World Cruise program he has been part of and yes for old and new Crystal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear they are all returning to Crystal...I wish they would bring back my favorite pianist

in the Cove, John Mentis...I have been on many cruises and he was probable the best in the industry.

I will always remember several years ago when he was playing in the Avenue Saloon before he moved to the Cove when Debbie Reynolds was onboard.....it was around 1am in the Avenue and she and her friends were sitting listening to John when she abruptly got up and ask if he would accompany her while she sang...Well, she sang Tammy and a couple of others and was amazed he did not need any music...It was quite an evening.  Don't know if John is still playing or if he retired.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, lovet2travel said:

Anyone knows where are the rest of the former CDs? Anyone else returning?

When you say rest you mean just one as the other three were announced. It won't be too much longer till the fourth CD is announced including who that person is.

Keith

2 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

When you say rest you mean just one as the other three were announced. It won't be too much longer till the fourth CD is announced including who that person is.

Keith

Yes, Keith, Just wondering. BTW, thank you for taking time out to answer our questions and to share your wonderful experience on the ship. You live life passionately: it is palpable. Continue and enjoy!

~Jeany

2 minutes ago, lovet2travel said:

Yes, Keith, Just wondering. BTW, thank you for taking time out to answer our questions and to share your wonderful experience on the ship. You live life passionately: it is palpable. Continue and enjoy!

~Jeany

Jeany you are welcome.

On another board someone from here once mentioned that a crew member was returning to Crystal. That crew member who was supposed to get promoted on the line they were working (they would still have come to Crystal at the end of their contract) lost the promotion because the other cruise line read the board and saw the name.  This is why it's important that unless the person publicly says they are returning I am careful what to confirm or not confirm.

Best,

Keith

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Jeany you are welcome.

On another board someone from here once mentioned that a crew member was returning to Crystal. That crew member who was supposed to get promoted on the line they were working (they would still have come to Crystal at the end of their contract) lost the promotion because the other cruise line read the board and saw the name.  This is why it's important that unless the person publicly says they are returning I am careful what to confirm or not confirm.

Best,

Keith

Makes sense.