Dining attire

naras15

We are on Oceania Marina in July. What is the dress code for evenings. Most cruiselines have gotten a lot more casual than in the past. Also does anyone know about the weather in Norway in July. Warm, cool rainy- probably could be all of the above. Thank you for any info. Want to pack as light as possible.

Smart casual 

Collared shirt for men with long trousers  (not jeans usually)

Nice top & slacks /skirt or dress for ladies

Layers  for Norway

we have been June , July & Aug   a light jacket   & rain jacket would be good to have

depending on how far north you are going  usually in the 70's in summer

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/seasons-climate/

• Like 1

On the Riviera a little over a week ago I heard a rumor that any man that brought a tie on board would be hung with it. In any event never saw a tie on a guest. 
On our cruise folks were dressed as LHT28 recommends in the post above. Except in The Terrace Cafe (my favorite) where half were dressed smart casual and the other half were just "kinda nice" casual. 

I've only done one cruise with Oceania (back in 2017).  O's dress code of "country club casual" was meaningless to me as we don't have country clubs in the UK. So, I took advice from folk on a different non-travel forum that had lots of American contributors. Got such a mixed response because different clubs have different dress codes, so that didnt really help either. Ended up deciding to use the British term "smart casual" which often applies to higher end restaurants that might have a dress code here. So, that was chinos and polo shirt which was absolutely fine - that was what lots of blokes were wearing. Mrs Harters packed similar casual clothes - trousers, blouses, etc.

FWIW, that cruise in 2017 was in July and was also to Norway. Generally good weather but, of course, you're talking about Northern Europe here,  so you might need to pack a light jacket. And, of course, you may well get rain. But July should be the best we have to offer for weather.

I always bring a sports jacket. My wife always brings a sweater and/or Shaw which we wear to the Specialties. If the venue is warm, I slip it off. However, there have been numerous times I was extremely happy to have it. Sometimes the restaurants are like a meat locker and it is extremely cool/cold. My DW has left with her toes nearly blue and me glad I had on socks and regular shoes. Taking a sports jacket is very inexpensive insurance for what may be a very uncomfortable environment.

Fwiw, we dined twice in March in La Reserve on Marina. 100% of the men wore sports jackets at both dinners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

For Americans of a certain age, it's what we used to call "good school clothes."

We also used to call them "Sunday-go-to-meeting" clothes, which also included unblemished, dark-blue jeans with an ironed-in heavy crease down each leg.

I live in a country club community and country club casual certainly includes jeans (as long as they aren't ripped of very faded).  I get from posting in different cruise line forums on CC over the years that this seems to matter to some, but personally, I'm one of those people who doesn't really understand why I should give too hoots about what the guy or girl sitting three tables away is wearing .  The decor of the restaurant venue, the service and the quality of the food are what I care about.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ah, yes. Just re-read the FAQs and see that "casual jeans" are not acceptable which presumably means "non casual" ones are fine. Now, that could be an interesting debate as to what is casual.

A Michelin starred place near me is more specific with its dress code "our dress code is smart and informal. Sportswear, ripped denim or shorts are not accepted."

• Like 1

We just returned from an O cruise in French Polynesia. For men, collared shirts and pants (not jeans) in all venues except Terrace and Waves. For specialty restaurants, most men had jackets and slacks with dress shirts. I don't think I saw any ties. My DH and BIL wore jackets and slacks in specialty restaurants and dropped the jacket in the MDR. Everyone was dressed nicely in all those venues and mostly dressed well in the buffet seating.

I doubt anyone would be denied admittance at the MDR with nice dress jeans but I did not see any on our cruise. FWIW, dress shorts on men were not see in any venue. Someone asked before our cruise, so I kept my eyes open!

I am thinking dress is typically more casual on Caribbean cruises than on European itineraries. I am a 62 year old man who enjoys going to nice restaurants, and I almost never wear anything except nice jeans and a long sleeve shirt.  I never feel underdressed.  Maybe it's a generational thing.

It's funny, this is an age old discussion on all of the various CC cruise line forums.  I've always seen people who are adamant about what should (or should not) be acceptable....and then when I am actually on the cruise, it seems nearly anything goes and no one seems to care.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I always bring a sports jacket. My wife always brings a sweater and/or Shaw which we wear to the Specialties. If the venue is warm, I slip it off. However, there have been numerous times I was extremely happy to have it. Sometimes the restaurants are like a meat locker and it is extremely cool/cold. My DW has left with her toes nearly blue and me glad I had on socks and regular shoes. Taking a sports jacket is very inexpensive insurance for what may be a very uncomfortable environment.

Fwiw, we dined twice in March in La Reserve on Marina. 100% of the men wore sports jackets at both dinners.

The only times on our many many O cruises Stu took a jacket was to the Christenings and each time it

was in the 90s..so a complete waste....we always have dinner with the Captain (whoever it is and no jacket for Stu)

As for me ladies I say think Chicos and you cant go wrong..

Jancruz1

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

The only times on our many many O cruises Stu took a jacket was to the Christenings and each time it

was in the 90s..so a complete waste....we always have dinner with the Captain (whoever it is and no jacket for Stu)

As for me ladies I say think Chicos and you cant go wrong..

Jancruz1

Funny, I have never eaten in any of the dining venues that were in the 90s! 😳 I bet that was really uncomfortable. Now dining in one of the restaurants where it was outwardly cold, that’s another issue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Thanks for the La Reserve mention. We have all three experiences booked for the Riviera in July Southampton to Reykjavik. My husband was dithering on the blazer--I'll make sure he packs one now. 

• Thanks 1

Like pinotlover above, I always wear either a sport coat or sweater to dinner.  Not just to appear high-class and sophisticated (a disguise, I assure you) but because my old bones get cold quicker than some of you younger whippersnappers.  If any of you share that trait, then trust me: bring a jacket.

• Thanks 2

For me, it is kind of nice to make a bit of effort every once and awhile. I'll be wearing a smart sport jacket in the evenings on our Nov Marina transatlantic.  Lord knows the ladies in our lives put in a bit of effort for us, so I figure the least we can do is run a comb through our hair and throw on a jacket.  😊

As my dear departed father always told me, a man can be under dressed, but he can never be overdressed.  That sage advice has served me well over the years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Funny, I have never eaten in any of the dining venues that were in the 90s! 😳 I bet that was really uncomfortable. Now dining in one of the restaurants where it was outwardly cold, that’s another issue.

Stu  only wore a jacket to the Christeing which was outside in the sun where for four or five of the events it was 90 outside..for some reason I am not making myself clear today..forgive me it must be age..LOL

Vista Cristening is going to be quite formal..looking forward to seeing all of the pictures..everyone is leaving next Monday for  Rome..

When we are in Privee or La Reserve Stu usually wears a nice sweater over a collared shirt..never a jacket..but to each his own..since we moved to the beach 23 years ago I dont believe he even owns a jacket..I know he does not have a tie..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1

Major DITTO Jancruz1

Country Club Casual and not Pretentious! I am undergoing a major “Sport Coat or NO Sport Coat” packing decision as we prepare to head off to Rome in a couple of weeks for the Founder’s Cruise. We are really getting excited and feeling giddy about being able to share the cruise with FDR and others from Oceania AND OUR OCEANIA FAMILY. 
Mauibabes

On our Riviera 6/2022 Mediterranean cruise, I did pack a sport coat. I wore it to the La Reserve dinner as well as the Moet and Chandon tasting.  Also wore a couple times in the specialties as if felt appropriate. No tie. The La Reserve was almost 100% sport coats for men.

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Major DITTO Jancruz1

Country Club Casual and not Pretentious! I am undergoing a major “Sport Coat or NO Sport Coat” packing decision as we prepare to head off to Rome in a couple of weeks for the Founder’s Cruise. We are really getting excited and feeling giddy about being able to share the cruise with FDR and others from Oceania AND OUR OCEANIA FAMILY. 
Mauibabes

I know it will be a great time..I look forward to hearing all about it and Stu and I are looking forward to seeing you in June!!

Jancruz1