Booking without flight option?

In looking at itineraries on Regent, I have seen a couple that note a reduction of cost if you do not use their flights. We generally use miles. Is the savings available on all itineraries or only a select number? From experience, is it a better option to just go all in with Regent including flights? 

You can always get an air credit.  The amount is listed on the website after the Cabin cost section.  For us, we can do better on our own domestically but not Business Class.  We always deviate so domestically when adding the cost to deviate plus airline luggage fee plus air credit, I can usually get First Class for not much more (domestic flights are coach).  But Business Class has always been a better deal through Regent for us.  Again, we always deviate and pick our flights early and go a day or more ahead of the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree, I book the air on international flights at least I know the max fare I'll pay.  I start looking at flights using miles and fares 330 days out.  If I find an award or cheaper fare on a good route the air credit (factoring in deviation fees and transfers.)  I have found regent has pretty good fares especially since many are two one ways or multicity.  

Thank you. We always deviate internationally. For a multitude of reasons. And we cannot do those long flights in coach. Again, for a multitude of reasons. So on international flights, Regent does or does not charge for deviation in BC? And even with that, their fares for BC remain worth looking at? 
I used miles for an upcoming trip that I missed the 330 day window on. It was astronomical how many it took RT VCE from SFO BC. At that rate, miles will disappear faster than I planned! 

22 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. We always deviate internationally. For a multitude of reasons. And we cannot do those long flights in coach. Again, for a multitude of reasons. So on international flights, Regent does or does not charge for deviation in BC? And even with that, their fares for BC remain worth looking at? 
I used miles for an upcoming trip that I missed the 330 day window on. It was astronomical how many it took RT VCE from SFO BC. At that rate, miles will disappear faster than I planned! 

dynamic pricing is eating miles.  Regent DOES charge a deviation fee of $175 pp if you request flights or change dates.    Even with that fee I found their fares to be better so long as you get a reasonable flight plan.    

Edited by Lonedaddy

In 32 cruises with Regent I have never used Regent air; I have always taken the credit.  However, in next two years I have chosen to keep Regent air for three trips as credit nowhere close to allowing me to use miles or pay for tickets.  You need to make the decision on a trip by trip basis.

• Like 3

I have never used Regent air either.  For our upcoming trip this fall, I actually was going to do so (since I couldn't find any reasonable fare with money or miles), until everything they offered me was going to have a big surcharge .  So I am just doing it myself.

On our upcoming May cruise on Splendor, the air allowance was $2,500.  The least expensive comparable flight I could find from Washington, DC was $4,000 and now the flight that we are on is over $5K.  I think that $2,500 would just about cover Premium Economy on our flight.  We have also found that for domestic flights, we can use points and fly first class, so we do not take Regent domestic flights.

Airfares and miles to Europe this year are crazy. We had 195k booked that last year covered RT BC out of SFO. We had to cancel that trip, but we had the miles banked. I figured it might take more, but I was in no way prepared for another 235k to cover this year! We did it because we didn’t want to loose those banked. Buying many months prior ranged $10k-$12k.  If the credit is $2500 pp then the math is pretty clear if the craziness continues. 
$175 for deviation seems fair. How flexible are they in their flights and Airlines?  For instance, will they allow one stop, or are they booking you 2+ stops? If you have an account with the airline, do you accumulate miles on what they book? Do you have a voice in which airlines? 
‘thank you again all 

Edited by Vineyard View

We have received our first choice the last two times, for just the $175 deviation fee.  However, I research the available flights before submitting them to the flight department and give them several ranked choices which I know have seats available at the lowest business class rates.  That seems to work.  We had one stop flight from DC to Lisbon and now non-stop to London.  If you do your homework in advance, you should be able to get decent flights.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, annapolitan369 said:

We have received our first choice the last two times, for just the $175 deviation fee.  However, I research the available flights before submitting them to the flight department and give them several ranked choices which I know have seats available at the lowest business class rates.  That seems to work.  We had one stop flight from DC to Lisbon and now non-stop to London.  If you do your homework in advance, you should be able to get decent flights.

Perfect. I always do that research. This is great information. Thank you

8 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

You can always get an air credit.  The amount is listed on the website after the Cabin cost section.  For us, we can do better on our own domestically but not Business Class.  We always deviate so domestically when adding the cost to deviate plus airline luggage fee plus air credit, I can usually get First Class for not much more (domestic flights are coach).  But Business Class has always been a better deal through Regent for us.  Again, we always deviate and pick our flights early and go a day or more ahead of the cruise.

You don't get the the whole amount shown on the website, ( not in the UK anyway ) on our cruise next year the amount showing is £1460pp, our TA have informed us that the amount of credit actually is £600pp.

1 hour ago, seasickphil said:

You don't get the the whole amount shown on the website, ( not in the UK anyway ) on our cruise next year the amount showing is £1460pp, our TA have informed us that the amount of credit actually is £600pp.

Did you find this out prior to booking or full payment?  It would make a difference in researching in advance for us 

Yes it is pp and you get the full amount, at least in the US. Just returned from an Explorer cruise where we took the credit of $5500 pp. Booked our own bc flights for $4300 pp. 

We have used Regent air in the past as well as booking our own. We have used miles, paid cash and even a combination of cash and miles. 
If you do your research, usually it’s pretty obvious which way to go. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, annapolitan369 said:

In the US, the amount that shows on the website is the actual amount you get if you decline Regent airfare.

Not necessarily true..  You get the credit that is stated when you booked.  We have one trip wherein the credit was $2700 when we booked but later changed to $3600 whilst the total fare had also increased.  We were entitled to only $2700 if we dropped the air later.

10 hours ago, seasickphil said:

In the UK, the flight credit shown on the website can be misleading for some cruises.

For example, if your cruise begins or ends in Europe, the fares for Penthouse suites and higher include Business Class flights whereas Concierge suites and below only include for Economy flights.

The website says: "A saving of up to £xxx per person is available when arranging your own flights and transfers".

The higher level of saving will only apply to those bookings with fares that include Business Class flights i.e. PH and above.

It would be useful if Regent would clarify this for affected cruises on the UK website.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Yes it is pp and you get the full amount, at least in the US. Just returned from an Explorer cruise where we took the credit of $5500 pp. Booked our own bc flights for $4300 pp. 

We have used Regent air in the past as well as booking our own. We have used miles, paid cash and even a combination of cash and miles. 
If you do your research, usually it’s pretty obvious which way to go. 

Do you need to decide when you book, or as with other lines, you can decide afterwards but prior to final payment?  

Also, good to know that credit is based on when you book. 

Thanks again!

50 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Do you need to decide when you book, or as with other lines, you can decide afterwards but prior to final payment?  

Thanks again!

I would book the air upfront you can always have it removed if you find something better - if you add it later it might go up.  

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Thanks again!

I don’t know when the deadline is but I do know you can wait a while after booking to decide. If I’m traveling internationally for the cruise I wait at least until the deviation window opens so I can do some price checking.  

If my flights are all domestic I just take the credit up front. I haven’t actually checked but the anecdotal evidence is that it’s cheaper to book my own first class domestic flights than use Regent Air to deviate into domestic first class. 

17 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Did you find this out prior to booking or full payment?  It would make a difference in researching in advance for us 

We are on Voyager out of Rio next March, the flights are out now but Regent have not allocated them as of yet, so long before full payment is do. It's just we like to get things sorted out sooner rather than later. We are in concierge so arrive the day before but having not been to Rio before want to make sure we have time to see Christ the Redeemer etc before we board, we have previously always taken Regents flights before just for on own peace of mind.

4 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thanks again!

You can book with Regent air and later remove it. You can book without Regent air and later add it. 
Usually, business class airfare increases as you get closer to the flight (supply and demand), so if you do your own flights, booking as early as possible is the way to go. This is sometimes reflected in the Regent air credit increasing as the cruise gets closer. 

• Like 1

This is all sound advice. We always book international early. This year the prices never did go down but sure stayed in the stratosphere they were in 10-11 months out to Venice. 

My question refers to the comment about waiting until the deviation window opens. I am not sure what that is. For miles or miles plus dollars it is 330 days. It this what what you are referencing jed_bud?