San Fracisco - best way to get from cruise port to SFO or nearby airport hotel

Will be getting off the Crown Princess 10/29/23. Looking for the best way to get either to the airport or a nearby hotel. I haven't decided If I want to fly out late on the 29th for a flight back to Ohio or just spend the night and leave early morning on the 30th. I'm kind of leaning towards the morning of the 30th.

Thanks.

Uber HQ is in SF and it's quick and efficient.  I vote for flying the morning as SF fog can get you delayed to the dock.  We usually stay at the Embassy Suites south of the airport and take their shuttle to the airport.  There's also a fairly new hotel (name escapes me) that's right on the airport property with just an AirTrain ride to the gates.   

CruiserBruce and ATSEAMYLIFE, Thanks. I decided to fly out the next morning. Now I have to figure out what hotel near the airport I'll stay at. More than likely I'll take a cab once I figure out what hotel I'll be at.

On 4/30/2023 at 5:22 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

There's also a fairly new hotel (name escapes me) that's right on the airport property with just an AirTrain ride to the gates.   

It's the Grand Hyatt at SFO, not to be confused with other nearby Hyatts.  I've stayed there 3 times for early morning flights out.  It's so convenient to just go up the escalator from the lobby to get on Sky Train to your terminal.  It's not walkable to anything so if you want to be out and about, it isn't where you want to be.  Prices fluctuate greatly depending on what's going on in town.  I have paid less than $300 per night for a standard double room but the same room can go up over $600(?) when there is a convention.  

Great service from the front desk and the bar and restaurant.  I'll stay there again before an early flight out of SFO!

Transit Luxury Hotel Near San Francisco Airport | Grand Hyatt SFO

~Nancy

18 hours ago, oakridger said:

It's the Grand Hyatt at SFO, not to be confused with other nearby Hyatts.  I've stayed there 3 times for early morning flights out.  It's so convenient to just go up the escalator from the lobby to get on Sky Train to your terminal. 

~Nancy

We have used the Hyatt inside Orlando airport many times and it is also a great place if you get in late (usually the case from the west coast) or leaving early.  In November for Thanksgiving it was cheaper to stay overnight there and fly home on Monday rather than fly on Sunday.  

3 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

oakridger and ATSEAMYLIFE, Thank you.

You are welcome @nasa1974.  I lived in Berea for junior high and high school.  My next-door neighbor worked for NASA there.  Byron Batthauer was a pilot. Nice family.

~Nancy

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

You are welcome @nasa1974.  I lived in Berea for junior high and high school.  My next-door neighbor worked for NASA there.  Byron Batthauer was a pilot. Nice family.

~Nancy

My youngest daughter lives in Berea. Didn't know Byron. Might have informally met him when we had work to do at the hanger. NASA was a very interesting place to work.

Marty

• Like 1

If I was flying out the next day, I'd stay in the City and enjoy a nice meal and some walking around. I would not stay by the airport.

When I have stayed at the airport I stay at the Bay Landing Hotel or San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront usually.

I have an upcoming business meeting at the Grand Hyatt SFO and from what I've seen, I expect to be impressed.

• Like 1

Staying in the city and flying out early on a Monday might be a problem. That's why staying near the airport seems like the best option. I would like to hang around the port and explore for the day, but don't want to drag my bag around all day. Thanks for the hotel info.

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

When I have stayed at the airport I stay at the Bay Landing Hotel or San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront usually.

I have an upcoming business meeting at the Grand Hyatt SFO and from what I've seen, I expect to be impressed.

The Marriott Waterfront was my go-to hotel for the night before an early flight before the Grand Hyatt at SFO opened.  I will check its price compared to the Hyatt and if it's significantly less than I will stay there.  Nice Lobby with a fun view.  Their shuttle worked well for me in the very early am too!

~Nancy

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 8:29 PM, nasa1974 said:

Staying in the city and flying out early on a Monday might be a problem.

Why would it be a problem? Unless you are on a 6AM flight (which I wouldn't do even if I was staying in the airport) it is easy to get to the airport. To me, ending a nice vacation staying next to an airport kind of throws a wet blanket on it.

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Why would it be a problem? Unless you are on a 6AM flight (which I wouldn't do even if I was staying in the airport) it is easy to get to the airport. To me, ending a nice vacation staying next to an airport kind of throws a wet blanket on it.

I guess it's a balancing act, right?  Stay in the city and visit for the day and have someplace to keep my luggage. Then decide what would be the best time to fly out of San Francisco and get into Ohio not close to midnight. How bad can traffic be getting to the airport say between 6am to 8am? 

I booked a 7am flight that will get me home by 5pm local time. Now if I can find a secure place to store my bag for a couple of hours and wander around the port then grab a cab or Uber to the hotel that would be a nice option. Since none of the hotels around the port offer shuttle service to the airport (I'm not aware of any). I would feel more comfortable staying at a hotel near the airport that offers shuttle service then hope to get a taxi or Uber at 3:30 or 4am out of the port area.