No More Veuve, No More Grey Goose

gmbhardy

4 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

We walked by Ocean Blue on our way somewhere, asked the hostess what was available for Champagne by the Glass, she replied Pommery. We said "Veuve?". She said Pommery.

Yeah I think the only place they for sure have it right now is Le Bistro but we got lucky at Ocean Blue

They've also changed the description for the P+ now:

Premium Plus Beverage Package
Includes all beverages by the glass (top-shelf cocktails, spirits, beer, red wine, white wine and our exclusive brand of rosé Champagne), select premium bottles of rosé Champagne and wine as well as unlimited Starbucks® coffee and specialty drinks, bottled water, soda, juices and more.

Pommery is not ean NCL xclusive brand but ok :D. 
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MiniJeffrey said:

They've also changed the description for the P+ now:

Premium Plus Beverage Package
Includes all beverages by the glass (top-shelf cocktails, spirits, beer, red wine, white wine and our exclusive brand of rosé Champagne), select premium bottles of rosé Champagne and wine as well as unlimited Starbucks® coffee and specialty drinks, bottled water, soda, juices and more.

Wow. That is just awful. So they went from a name brand rose, which from what I have read, guests have not liked to a "no name" brand rose. Sounds like they don't mind being left behind. Rose champagne is not main stream. Yuck!

1 hour ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Wow. That is just awful. So they went from a name brand rose, which from what I have read, guests have not liked to a "no name" brand rose. Sounds like they don't mind being left behind. Rose champagne is not main stream. Yuck!

THAT PART

We're just off the Pearl. In Magnum's, we were served both Pommery rosé and Le Kool rosé (which is actually  a pretty pricey bottle). We enjoyed both since we went in with the expectations that only a rosé would be available. Of course, it's mind boggling that they don't offer a standard brut,  but if you go in with the proper expectations, you can still enjoy a pretty nice glass of rose.

We ate at Le Bistro twice (the food was fantastic both times). The first night we went through a bottle of Veuve during our apps and soup/salad. Then we shared a bottle of the chateau neuf du pape, as we both chose the filet rossini. The second night, we ordered a little lighter, and our wine steward kept the Veuve flowing all night. We were served by the glass, however the wine steward kept "our bottle" chilled nearby.

We also had a fantastic time at Maltings. The bartender was our favorite, and we enjoyed blind tastings of many bourbons and whiskeys. Once our bartender trusted us, he even mixed in The Macallan Quest, Terra, and Enigma.

If you can adjust expectations, and if you don't have very specific requirements, there's still a lot of value to be found, and a lot of fun to be had.

Edited by WorkingForOBC
  • Like 2

Joy 7/1 We were told at Haven bar with P+ no Veuve or Moet by the glass. Spoke with the beverage manager about a non rose  champagne on board available by the glass. Said he would look into it. At dinner at Haven restaurant first night asked the Maitre d' the same. The beverage manager showed up and said nothing was available. The next day went to Cellars Bar and "tasted" Pommery and Le Kool Rose. Not good at all to us. Couldn't get past just a sip. NCL is lowering guest experience, guest amenities while increasing Haven prices and P+ prices. Will sail again but not in Haven and not with P+. No longer a value/enjoyment for us.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Joy 7/1 We were told at Haven bar with P+ no Veuve or Moet by the glass. Spoke with the beverage manager about a non rose  champagne on board available by the glass. Said he would look into it. At dinner at Haven restaurant first night asked the Maitre d' the same. The beverage manager showed up and said nothing was available. The next day went to Cellars Bar and "tasted" Pommery and Le Kool Rose. Not good at all to us. Couldn't get past just a sip. NCL is lowering guest experience, guest amenities while increasing Haven prices and P+ prices. Will sail again but not in Haven and not with P+. No longer a value/enjoyment for us.

We enjoyed the Pommery on our May 2023 cruise. It was fine. I suppose we don't need a flashy name on the bottle to enjoy it. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, WorkingForOBC said:

We're just off the Pearl. In Magnum's, we were served both Pommery rosé and Le Kool rosé (which is actually  a pretty pricey bottle). We enjoyed both since we went in with the expectations that only a rosé would be available. Of course, it's mind boggling that they don't offer a standard brut,  but if you go in with the proper expectations, you can still enjoy a pretty nice glass of rose.

We ate at Le Bistro twice (the food was fantastic both times). The first night we went through a bottle of Veuve during our apps and soup/salad. Then we shared a bottle of the chateau neuf du pape, as we both chose the filet rossini. The second night, we ordered a little lighter, and our wine steward kept the Veuve flowing all night. We were served by the glass, however the wine steward kept "our bottle" chilled nearby.

We also had a fantastic time at Maltings. The bartender was our favorite, and we enjoyed blind tastings of many bourbons and whiskeys. Once our bartender trusted us, he even mixed in The Macallan Quest, Terra, and Enigma.

If you can adjust expectations, and if you don't have very specific requirements, there's still a lot of value to be found, and a lot of fun to be had.

So the Veuve was included then in Le Bistro? You could drink all night Veuve by the glass if you wanted with the P+?

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We enjoyed the Pommery on our May 2023 cruise. It was fine. I suppose we don't need a flashy name on the bottle to enjoy it. 

I kinda agree, Pommery Rosé has pretty good reviews. Some people will already not like it just because it's not Veuve (which to be honest is an overrated brand of champagne - it's not bad but they have big marketing making a lot of people belive it's THE champagne of champagnes. It's not.) or because it's a rosé. Being a rosé or not has nothing to do with being a champagne, it is a champagne.

Yes, I think that a standard brut should be available and not just the rosé, but some people seem to be so hypnotized by the Veuve brand that they will call anything else crap.

• Like 3

My objection is not the name. It's the fact that a brut is not offered. I could drink Moet and be perfectly happy, my objection is that the only offering is rose. This is like only offering white (or red) wine and not the other. It just makes no sense. 

• Like 7

Just returned from the Escape and we had the P+.  Veuve only available at Le Bistro, and Pommery not available anywhere.  P+ champagne is now a rose champagne called Le Kool, supposedly made by the guys from Kool and the Gang.  Can’t find much about it online, but it was not great…….

5 hours ago, Marlin girl said:

Just returned from the Escape and we had the P+.  Veuve only available at Le Bistro, and Pommery not available anywhere.  P+ champagne is now a rose champagne called Le Kool, supposedly made by the guys from Kool and the Gang.  Can’t find much about it online, but it was not great…….

WOW.  I thought you were joking about Kool and the Gang, but I just looked it up.  Celebration!!! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MiniJeffrey said:

So the Veuve was included then in Le Bistro? You could drink all night Veuve by the glass if you wanted with the P+?

When dining in Le Bistro on the Pearl, July 28 - Aug 4 2023, with the P+ package, Veuve was easily ordered, and refills were offered whenever our glass emptied. The first night we dined at Le Bistro, we started with Veuve, but chose to switch to a red to pair with the filet. The second night that we dined there, my wife and I shared the duck and the sole as our mains. We asked the wine steward for a wine rec, and he simply suggested to "keep it fancy," and said the the Veuve would be a good choice for both dishes, so he opened up a second bottle for us, and kept it flowing. With our dessert that night, we finished with a port and espresso.

I'll also agree that it's crazy a brut isn't offered in any of the bars or other restaurants. However, if you enjoy a rosé, then the Pommery or Le Kool (and the gang) are pretty decent offerings.... Or, to be honest, I've certainly been happy drinking worse. That being said, I do understand that there are people who dislike rosé, and so these are poor substitutions as the only sparkling p+ options.

Edited by WorkingForOBC

• 3 months later...

OK, not to revive an old topic...but I'm reviving an old topic. 

I saw from a recent review of the Viva that an extra dry prosecco was listed under the premium plus package by the glass - it's NCL's own '66 brand. Has anyone tried it? What other brand would you compare it to?

image.png.6165f960f28130fde6563bfca561f86a.png

3 hours ago, Melody7 said:

I saw from a recent review of the Viva that an extra dry prosecco was listed under the premium plus package by the glass - it's NCL's own '66 brand. Has anyone tried it? What other brand would you compare it to?

I’m not answering the question, but I see they still have ice wine available - beauty eh.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 4:32 PM, Melody7 said:

Just off the Getaway, and TBH, i preferred the 66 Prosecco to the Rose they offer. Several of us agreed the Rose Champagne offered on the P+ had an aftertaste. The 66 was a $2 upcharge to the regular package. 

As far as what brand it tastes like, i can't really say. Maybe Ca Furlan Prosecco? I drink that at home on occasion. I would say the 66 is on the same level (roughly 14/15$ a bottle retail).

16 hours ago, AlexandNessa said:

Just off the Getaway, and TBH, i preferred the 66 Prosecco to the Rose they offer. Several of us agreed the Rose Champagne offered on the P+ had an aftertaste. The 66 was a $2 upcharge to the regular package. 

As far as what brand it tastes like, i can't really say. Maybe Ca Furlan Prosecco? I drink that at home on occasion. I would say the 66 is on the same level (roughly 14/15$ a bottle retail).

Is the 66 better, in your opinion, than the other prosecco they offer?

On 12/5/2023 at 7:36 PM, gmbhardy said:

I’m not answering the question, but I see they still have ice wine available - beauty eh.

We were on the V!va transatlantic ( 16-27 Nov, which was several cruises BEFORE the cruise people are calling the “INAUGURAL” on Dec 2).

• They were out of several wines on the Premium and Premium+ packages, including the Inniskillin ice wine.
  • They were pouring Veuve (not the rose) in Le Bistro and Paladar, by the glass and by the bottle.

other observations:

• several wines that used to be on the Premium package were “upgraded” to be a member of the Premium+ package
  • most of the current «Premium» wines retail for well under $15US per bottle and Are not wines I’d necessarily buy. Kind of ruining the whole unlimited bevy idea for me. But paying the per glass upcharge for the Premium+ wines by the glass was cheaper than buying the whole Premium+ upgrade. (I mostly drink wine but love the martinis too)
  • they were out of other premium alcohols in addition to wines.
  • Wine staff and a bartender said they just didn’t get several items/brands on board in Europe.
  • Even European beverages are shipped to the US then sent back to Europe to provision ships. (My assumption something to do with ATF and taxes).

and a recommendation:

if you’re really into Veuve and only Veuve, and embarking from a US port, go to Costco and buy it (if they can sell alcohol). A whole bottle is close to the NCL price for a glass 😁

• Like 1

So I'm really glad to see this topic- I had no idea Norwegian had changed P+ since my last cruise (last NYE on a family cruise on Escape, where we had P+ for our adult children, all I drank was Veuve for 2 days and we code named one of the kids "Whisky".)  This year it's just myself and DH going, and I've been debating whether to get P+ or not - he only drinks Crown Royal or the occasional beer, so it wasn't cost effective unless I branched out.  Which I was willing to do, but not for a no-name rose that I might find at Costco.

I get the need to make a profit, but if NCL keeps cheapening the premium offerings, they stop being premium and become obvious.   

• Like 2

On the Getaway right now. Veuve is available at Le Bistro. Tried the Pommery Rosé and it was better than I expected, although having a bit of a sour aftertaste. 66 Prosecco was way better and we polished off an entire bottle. The Caymus Cab was excellent though a bit young. Make sure it’s decanted. It was an up charge from the P+ package. We bought a couple of bottles to take back because it’s a good entertaining wine. The Duckworth (or duck something- not sure if I’m remembering the name) Merlot was outstanding and included in P+. Port & ice wine both available in dining room, so we were very happy with that. DH was able to get Macallan Enigma on the P+, but it depended upon the bartender. The best thing about the P+ is getting Starbucks in the morning because the dining room coffee is completely undrinkable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruzinMel said:

So I'm really glad to see this topic- I had no idea Norwegian had changed P+ since my last cruise (last NYE on a family cruise on Escape, where we had P+ for our adult children, all I drank was Veuve for 2 days and we code named one of the kids "Whisky".)  This year it's just myself and DH going, and I've been debating whether to get P+ or not - he only drinks Crown Royal or the occasional beer, so it wasn't cost effective unless I branched out.  Which I was willing to do, but not for a no-name rose that I might find at Costco.

I get the need to make a profit, but if NCL keeps cheapening the premium offerings, they stop being premium and become obvious.   

Pommery is not a no name brand. It’s very nice champagne house. 

7 hours ago, dachengdao said:

Tried the Pommery Rosé and it was better than I expected, although having a bit of a sour aftertaste. 66 Prosecco was way better and we polished off an entire bottle.

+1. Exactly our experience. Many complained about the aftertaste of the Pommery and much preferred the 66 Prosecco.

• Like 1