Questions about luggage, excursions

Stitch97

Hi everyone, I'm new to cruising (this'll be my second), Alaska, and NCL. Will be on the Bliss on May 13. 

I have some questions and would like guidance:

• I paid for the NCL shuttle to take me from SEA-TAC to the port. Before I board the shuttle, do I need to pick up my check-in luggage from the baggage area, and give it to the shuttle driver? At the port, does the shuttle driver unload bags for folks to take in themselves?
  • I signed up for the free port service in which I leave my check-in luggage outside my door the night before disembarkation. Does this mean I don't see my luggage again until I get back to my home airport? 
  • I booked my trip only a few weeks ago. My first choice excursion in Sitka was not available, so I booked a 2nd choice (still happy with it, but would prefer the 1st choice). Is there a way to check if my first choice will be available in case someone cancels?

Thank you!
Edited by Stitch97

On our cruise where we were shuttled, yes, we had to pick up our luggage off the carousel and go to meet the shuttle bus.

We had to tag the luggage at the port when we got our luggage off the bus.

I think you need to have your bags to check in at the airport. They need to know if it is yours and if anyone else has had it. Security issue.

Excursions can be checked when on board.

16 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

On our cruise where we were shuttled, yes, we had to pick up our luggage off the carousel and go to meet the shuttle bus.

We had to tag the luggage at the port when we got our luggage off the bus.

I think you need to have your bags to check in at the airport. They need to know if it is yours and if anyone else has had it. Security issue.

Excursions can be checked when on board.

Thank you- this is very helpful for me to keep in mind. 

Will check the excursions the minute I get on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stitch97 said:

Hi everyone, I'm new to cruising (this'll be my second), Alaska, and NCL. Will be on the Bliss on May 13. 
Thank you!

• I signed up for the free port service in which I leave my check-in luggage outside my door the night before disembarkation. Does this mean I don't see my luggage again until I get back to my home airport? 

Baggage Valet. Yes, if you are approved, you will get your airline boarding passes and luggage tags in your room a day or two before the end of the cruise. You leave your bags outside your room on the last night and the next time you see them are at your home airport. 

• I booked my trip only a few weeks ago. My first choice excursion in Sitka was not available, so I booked a 2nd choice (still happy with it, but would prefer the 1st choice). Is there a way to check if my first choice will be available in case someone cancels?

You can request to go on a standby list. Go to the Shore Ex desk, Deck 6 mid-ship in the Atrium, and request to go on the stand-by list. Do this early on embarkation day since the line gets very loooonnnngggg later in the day. 

=====

You should immediately complete your online check-in and select your port check-in time.

You can try, today, to book your main entertainment, Jersey Boys and Six (both excellent Broadway shows). If not, as soon as you embark, head to The Social (Deck 6 Midship) and make your entertainment reservations: Jersey Boys, Six, Comedy Shows (early shows family oriented, late shows 18+). You can also book go karts, Canvas by U (painting classes), laser tag - all extra charges. 

Once you have your entertainment booked, head across the hall to Teppanyaki (Deck 6 Midship) and make/fix your dinner reservations 

Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is one of the best cruise destinations. 

Edited by BirdTravels

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

If you mean port valet, you leave your bags outside your door the last night.  Next time you see them will be at baggage claim at your final destination. A unique service provided by the port of Seattle.

That's very convenient, and a great service by SEA-TAC.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I booked my trip only a few weeks ago. My first choice excursion in Sitka was not available, so I booked a 2nd choice (still happy with it, but would prefer the 1st choice). Is there a way to check if my first choice will be available in case someone cancels?

You can request to go on a standby list. Go to the Shore Ex desk, Deck 6 mid-ship in the Atrium, and request to go on the stand-by list. Do this early on embarkation day since the line gets very loooonnnngggg later in the day. 

I wasn't aware of a standby list, so I'll definitely have to do that when I first get on board. I appreciate the details on where to go. My check-in time is 10:30 am, so maybe I have a chance on getting on the standby list for my first choice excursion and avoiding the lines. If not, I'm still happy with my 2nd choice. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

=====

You should immediately complete your online check-in and select your port check-in time.

You can try, today, to book your main entertainment, Jersey Boys and Six (both excellent Broadway shows). If not, as soon as you embark, head to The Social (Deck 6 Midship) and make your entertainment reservations: Jersey Boys, Six, Comedy Shows (early shows family oriented, late shows 18+). You can also book go karts, Canvas by U (painting classes), laser tag - all extra charges. 

Once you have your entertainment booked, head across the hall to Teppanyaki (Deck 6 Midship) and make/fix your dinner reservations 

Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is one of the best cruise destinations. 

Thank you- this has been on my bucket list for a long time! I've got Jersey Boys and Six already booked so at least I'm set. 

10 hours ago, Stitch97 said:

Getting on the list when you get on board is great but I would also check daily to see if it's become available.  It has happened for me a couple of times.  Glad you are adding an experience to your bucket list and know you will enjoy it!

12 hours ago, Stitch97 said:

Thank you- this has been on my bucket list for a long time! I've got Jersey Boys and Six already booked so at least I'm set. 

SIX is an excellent show. Show up when the theater opens (30 minutes before show time) and get a seat front and center. We recently saw it on another NCL ship,,, and the seats that we got would have cost us $300-$400 per person on Broadway. We like the Jersey Boys because it is music from our past. 

You can still sign up for Comedy shows when you embark. The last three cruises we have been on (including one 2 weeks ago), the NCL app and touch screen reservations systems at elevator lobbies did not have all of the shows loaded when we embarked and we ended up standing in line at The Social.