HAL Newbie...Gala Nights?

2ferfun

We are taking our first HAL cruise this summer (super excited)!  10 day northern Europe out of Copenhagen.  We are curious about Gala Nights?  Do people tend to dress up more on European itineraries? (we have noticed this seems to be the case on Princess). We enjoy dressing up but are happy to just go with the crowd.  Is it time to bring out the ball gown and tux or is it more like a nice blouse and a sport coat?  Advice?

The HAL web site FAQs do not indicate that formal attire is expected.

Q: Why the change from “Gala Attire” To “Dressy”?

A: To many, the term Gala was either confusing or misleading, implying a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) which has never been a requirement. We felt the term Dressy was a bit less stuffy and a bit more festive, which is what a dressy evening should be: a chance to get dressed up and enjoy the evening while still being comfortable.

Q: What about ladies’ dressy attire? 

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable. 

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men? 

A: A jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Dressy nights, though this is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie have always been allowed in fine dining restaurants, so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed? 

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Dressy nights jeans are only allowed in casual dining restaurants.

The choice is yours.  HAL passengers used to dress more formally, but nowadays there is a lot of latitude when it comes to dressing for 'Gala Nights'.   Gowns and tuxedos are not required, but a (very) few will still be worn.  We try to make an effort to 'scrub up' well, but it seems that almost anytning goes.  Either way, it has no bearing on enjoyment of our cruises.  Sir PMP is taking the Mickey.😃

Have a great cruise.

I love dressy nights on European cruises because I get to see the Scots wearing their kilts!  

My husband will just wear a dress shirt and dress pants and I will wear a dressy blouse and slacks, so we will probably be one of the "underdressed" couples, but we don't really care.  

We're going on a 10 day out of Copenhagen as well--are you on the Aug. 9th sailing?

Passengers on cruises in Europe tend to dress up more than passengers on cruises of a comparable length closer to the United States. This seems to be especially true with HAL cruises starting in Netherlands, but is also true elsewhere in Europe. 
The Europeans as a whole tend to be a bit dressier than Americans, so that is reflected on a European cruise. 

There's a wide range between a ball gown and a blouse. You can pick something in between and pretty much be 'going with the flow'. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, SueMo said:

I love dressy nights on European cruises because I get to see the Scots wearing their kilts!  

My husband will just wear a dress shirt and dress pants and I will wear a dressy blouse and slacks, so we will probably be one of the "underdressed" couples, but we don't really care.  

We're going on a 10 day out of Copenhagen as well--are you on the Aug. 9th sailing?

SueMo...we are on the July 2 cruise.  We will keep her in good shape for you!

Thanks for all the great info everyone! Sounds like it is fairly similar to Princess (which we are familiar with) so we will just go with our usual...we don't mind being a bit more dressy than others.