Quantum no longer stopping in Skagway?

58 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I'm sure it's very nice. Never been.  However on the Quantum, we already have whale watching and the Mendenhall glacier in Juneau.  Whale watching, as cool as it is, would be a repeat.  Skagway is unique for us with the White Pass Train.  That port was a "must do" when we chose this itinerary.  Hopefully we (and others on the Quantum) will be there as planned.

Understand, please don't feel the need to justify --- each person has their own likes and dislikes. 

• Like 1

This is a gut punch.  Icy Straight Point instead of Skagway.  Skagway was a “must do” for the White Pass train.  Totally bummed.  Would have chosen a different cruise, perhaps different cruise line, for Alaska had we known.  Wish we were getting Ketchikan.

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Last season, landslides in Skagway, Alaska impacted the pier where our ships dock. While repairs have been ongoing, they won't be ready for two large ships visiting simultaneously. So, to ensure we provide you with the best experience, we’ve replaced our visit with Icy Strait Point, Alaska. To help make up for this change, we’ve added an extra 2.5 hours in Sitka, so you can explore and enjoy everything this beautiful destination has to offer! We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Nevertheless, we’re excited to sail away with you! Below, please find our revised Quantum of the Seas July 10th, 2023 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

Seattle, Washington

4:00 PM

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Icy Strait Point, Alaska

12:30 PM

9:00 PM

Thu

Sitka, Alaska

7:00 AM

5:00 PM

Fri

Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier

5:00 AM

10:00 AM

Fri

Juneau, Alaska

1:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Victoria, British Columbia

10:00 PM

Mon

Seattle, Washington

Icy Strait Point is where excitement and splendor combine to give you an exhilarating experience. Take in the majesty of Alaska while enjoying some of the best fishing and whale watching in the area. If adventure is what you seek, ride the world’s largest zipline, ZipRider®. As you descend, enjoy amazing views of the forest while gaining a true appreciation of the magnificent scenery. After you’ve finished exploring, indulge your appetite and try some locally produced cuisine that is hard to find elsewhere, like reindeer chili or the Alaskan Blue Burger. Whatever you choose to do, we know you’ll have a memorable time!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

This is a gut punch.  Icy Straight Point instead of Skagway.  Skagway was a “must do” for the White Pass train.  Totally bummed.  Would have chosen a different cruise, perhaps different cruise line, for Alaska had we known.  Wish we were getting Ketchikan.

Same here. Received the same email 45 minutes ago for June 17th sailing. We specifically chose this ship/itinerary because we wanted to do the train ride through Skagway. Huge bummer.

When this type of port change has happened in the past, does RCI offer excursions for the “new” port, or are we on our own if we want to do/book anything? I’m guessing this close to sailing, many excursions are likely already full or nearly full for other ships who had already planned to be there? If RCI does offer new excursions, how soon might we expect them to be available in our cruise planner (still has all the Skagway excursions, currently)?

3 minutes ago, alaska2023 said:

I’m guessing this close to sailing, many excursions are likely already full or nearly full for other ships who had already planned to be there?

Exactly.

Yes, they do state that excursions will be made available, but I am guessing many of the good options will be sold out.

7 minutes ago, alaska2023 said:

When this type of port change has happened in the past, does RCI offer excursions for the “new” port, or are we on our own if we want to do/book anything?

They should offer excursions in the new port though it may take a while for them to load them in the planner. 

Wonder why all the changes are happening to the Quantum.  We are on the Ovation in August and haven't seen any changes.  I thought the two ships were almost the same size?  Odd.

Rant on:

Royal Caribbean set these itineraries, knowing full well that Skagway was in this situation with the landslide still impacting the pier. This is affecting tens of thousands of passengers who are already beyond final payment.  Rather than be upfront many months ago and removing Skagway from the schedules so that we could make better choices between cruise lines and ship itineraries, they baited us in knowing full well they may not repair the port in time. This feels…disingenuous. From what I am researching ISP is a significantly inferior port as a substitute to Skagway.

It would not sting so much but when you have almost $15,000 tied up into an Alaskan cruise vacation with limited ports of call, a change like this really hurts.  

Rant off.  Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Wonder why all the changes are happening to the Quantum.  We are on the Ovation in August and haven't seen any changes.  I thought the two ships were almost the same size?  Odd.

The email indicated that the port can’t handle two large ships at once at this time, so just Quantum was bumped.

4 minutes ago, fuinseog said:

The email indicated that the port can’t handle two large ships at once at this time, so just Quantum was bumped.

I don't think I can recall ever seeing two large Royal Caribbean ships (Q & O) at once in a port.  I thought maybe they were referencing one RCI and perhaps another cruise line large ship.  I will take your word for it.  Thanks.

25 minutes ago, fuinseog said:

17 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

I don't think I can recall ever seeing two large Royal Caribbean ships (Q & O) at once in a port.  I thought maybe they were referencing one RCI and perhaps another cruise line large ship.  I will take your word for it.  Thanks.

At least for our cruise these are the other ships that were supposed to be in Port at Skagway . Obviously, we got bumped by one of them.🥵

image.thumb.jpeg.395e7991b57c2220631e3c52e90eba7d.jpeg

Likely the Discovery Princess because it is the other big ship

Edited by The Fun Researcher

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Last season, landslides in Skagway, Alaska impacted the pier where our ships dock. While repairs have been ongoing, they won't be ready for two large ships visiting simultaneously. So, to ensure we provide you with the best experience, we’ve replaced our visit with Icy Strait Point, Alaska. To help make up for this change, we’ve added an extra 2.5 hours in Sitka, so you can explore and enjoy everything this beautiful destination has to offer! We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Nevertheless, we’re excited to sail away with you! Below, please find our revised Quantum of the Seas July 10th, 2023 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

Seattle, Washington

4:00 PM

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Icy Strait Point, Alaska

12:30 PM

Thu

Sitka, Alaska

Fri

Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier

5:00 AM

10:00 AM

Fri

Juneau, Alaska

1:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Victoria, British Columbia

10:00 PM

Mon

Seattle, Washington

Icy Strait Point is where excitement and splendor combine to give you an exhilarating experience. Take in the majesty of Alaska while enjoying some of the best fishing and whale watching in the area. If adventure is what you seek, ride the world’s largest zipline, ZipRider®. As you descend, enjoy amazing views of the forest while gaining a true appreciation of the magnificent scenery. After you’ve finished exploring, indulge your appetite and try some locally produced cuisine that is hard to find elsewhere, like reindeer chili or the Alaskan Blue Burger. Whatever you choose to do, we know you’ll have a memorable time!

I totally agree. I did tons of research and chose this cruise for the ports, especially Skagway because of the natural beauty and fun excursions. Icy Strait is nowhere near comparable to Skagway. It's very small with very little to do. Yes, there is whale watching and fishing, but we are already doing those things in Juneau. I would have been fine with substituting Ketchikan as it has a lot to offer. Even Haines since we could take the ferry over to Skakway and do the things we were so looking forward to. My daughter is on this cruise in September and her Skagway port was substituted with Ketchikan. I wonder why we got the short end of the stick. If we didn't already have flights/hotels booked and vacation days approved I would cancel this cruise and choose something else. 

Edited by sheryltx
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, sheryltx said:

I totally agree. I did tons of research and chose this cruise for the ports, especially Skagway because of the natural beauty and fun excursions. Icy Strait is nowhere near comparable to Skagway. It's very small with very little to do. Yes, there is whale watching and fishing, but we are already doing those things in Juneau. I would have been fine with substituting Ketchikan as it has a lot to offer. Even Haines since we could take the ferry over to Skakway and do the things we were so looking forward to. My daughter is on this cruise in September and her Skagway port was substituted with Ketchikan. I wonder why we got the short end of the stick. If we didn't already have flights/hotels booked and vacation days approved I would cancel this cruise and choose something else. 

Agree.  It really feels like Royal thought of themselves first rather than their customer in this case, especially knowing the extenuating circumstances.  It’s one thing when unexpected weather or mechanical difficulties cause unexpected port disruption, However this was known over a year ago, and they still let us book this itinerary, knowing full well that the situation was not resolved.  This is souring to say the least 

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

The announcement at the top of the thread at least partially answers this: it says the Radiance and Millenium will dock at the other pier on Mondays (the same day that Ovation is in port).  On some of those days there were only going to be 3 ships in port anyway, so Ovation will have the railroad pier to itself.  On the days when 4 ships are in port I assume the ship(s) that were going to be at the small pier where Millenium/Radiance will now dock will park in the front railroad slot, leaving plenty of room for Ovation.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Agree.  It really feels like Royal thought of themselves first rather than their customer in this case, especially knowing the extenuating circumstances.  It’s one thing when unexpected weather or mechanical difficulties cause unexpected port disruption, However this was known over a year ago, and they still let us book this itinerary, knowing full well that the situation was not resolved.  This is souring to say the least 

Yes. From what I've seen on other sites, a lot of people also chose this cruise because of the stop in Skagway. The email telling me how great ISP is just added insult to injury. Do they really believe this is an equivalent port? I called RC to voice my complaint. I was very polite as I know the poor lady answering the phone has no control over this. I just wanted to know what RC was thinking when they made this decision. She said I probably would not get a response. I realize that if this is my biggest problem then I'm doing ok. But we have been looking so forward to our Skagway excursion and this is just hard to digest right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I know there were a couple of ships that cancelled Skagway back towards the end of February, I think, from reading the Skagway thread in the Port section. We go on the 22nd, so we were thinking we were good to go. With Skagway announcing before Royal, I wonder if Royal was offered a solution that they didn't like, tendering or hot berthing, so they decided just not to go. Having not done Alaska before I'm wondering if Quantum and Ovation are really just too big to be doing Alaska?

We are on the June 12 cruise. Have been to Alaska several times and Skagway has been our favorite stop. Have done both the Jeep rental and the train, both are one of a lifetime experiences. It’s a shame that if this is going to be your only cruise trip to Alaska. you’re going to miss this stop. 

We have always taken Princess before, but wanted to try Quantum. The scenery is spectacular, so don’t let your disappointment in missing Skagway ruin your trip!

As someone has stated RCCL has known about this problem for months and continued to sell this itinerary. 😡

1 hour ago, pilot said:

We are on the June 12 cruise. Have been to Alaska several times and Skagway has been our favorite stop. Have done both the Jeep rental and the train, both are one of a lifetime experiences. It’s a shame that if this is going to be your only cruise trip to Alaska. you’re going to miss this stop. 

We have always taken Princess before, but wanted to try Quantum. The scenery is spectacular, so don’t let your disappointment in missing Skagway ruin your trip!

As someone has stated RCCL has known about this problem for months and continued to sell this itinerary. 😡

Exactly, this is a once in a lifetime trip for our group of 16.  Last year I scoured itineraries and cruise lines to insure our best cruise experience.  Skagway was critical to that decision. 

Background:  My sisters and I sent my parents on an Alaskan cruise (on Celebrity) over 20 years ago for their 35th wedding anniversary.  The two port highlights for them were the train in Skagway, and the wales in Juneau.  For our July cruise on the Quantum, our group of 16 (my parents, siblings, grandkids) were going to recreate their experience by all doing the White Pass train together.  I can't say how sad this makes me feel.  My parents are in their mid-late 70's now.  We won't be able to do this again.  So frustrated with Royal.  This is the real implications of their decisions.  I'm sure we're not alone.

The landslide is nothing new, but they decided bait us in knowing full well the circumstances.  The cruise is far less attractive with Icy Straight Point instead of Skagway.   Royal knows this.  They wanted to keep their itineraries attractive.  Fill the ship, keep the cruise fare high. 

This has obliterated our (and many others I would guess) once in a lifetime opportunity with our family in Skagway.  😢😢😢  Thanks for listening to my sob story.

I've never reached out to Royal to state my frustration, but I feel the need in this case.  Is there an email contact that will get somewhere where it actually gets read and replied to?

2 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Exactly, this is a once in a lifetime trip for our group of 16.  Last year I scoured itineraries and cruise lines to insure our best cruise experience.  Skagway was critical to that decision. 

Background:  My sisters and I sent my parents on an Alaskan cruise (on Celebrity) over 20 years ago for their 35th wedding anniversary.  The two port highlights for them were the train in Skagway, and the wales in Juneau.  For our July cruise on the Quantum, our group of 16 (my parents, siblings, grandkids) were going to recreate their experience by all doing the White Pass train together.  I can't say how sad this makes me feel.  My parents are in their mid-late 70's now.  We won't be able to do this again.  So frustrated with Royal.  This is the real implications of their decisions.  I'm sure we're not alone.

The landslide is nothing new, but they decided bait us in knowing full well the circumstances.  The cruise is far less attractive with Icy Straight Point instead of Skagway.   Royal knows this.  They wanted to keep their itineraries attractive.  Fill the ship, keep the cruise fare high. 

This has obliterated our (and many others I would guess) once in a lifetime opportunity with our family in Skagway.  😢😢😢  Thanks for listening to my sob story.

I've never reached out to Royal to state my frustration, but I feel the need in this case.  Is there an email contact that will get somewhere where it actually gets read and replied to?

the Michael Bayley email is monitored for sure, I am uncertain of the composition...

I'm sad for you that Skagway was the lynchpin on your perfect trip, but I promise you will find amazing things to do instead.  

I wouldn't say that they baited everyone, more likely they were way too hopeful for their itineraries.  The landslide happened last year, they dealt with some ships in different ways (some getting cancelled, some tendering, some using creative ways to get guests into the port) but the town had high hopes for their remedies this year.  Maybe the work hadn't progressed far enough, maybe they realized their plans wouldn't work, there is no telling exactly what it was.  I would also assume that if they went "doom and gloom" from the beginning and cancelled it altogether, other companies would have jumped on those slots and it would be very hard to get them back if the contingency plans actually seemed to work.  

It seems to me that the town did an evaluation on what can happen/different situations and shuffled around some things and Quantum lost out.  I know that my RRF berth assigned Radiance (2,000+ passengers) was switched with a Silversea (500 passengers) to the Ore dock, probably because they had more confidence in tendering in 500 people in a timely manner from RRF than 2,000.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People don’t seem to understand its happening to cruise ships on other cruise lines as well, not just royal caribbean. There was a report that discovery princess isn’t going in july. Also, none of the cruise lines have been upfront with their passengers so think again if you would have known if you were on another cruise line. Glad i’m on the brilliance sailing, i’ve been to skagway before and no need to do it again.

• Thanks 1