New to MSC, but experienced cruisers- we have questions

VernRDH

We (me 52) and DH (53) are Diamond plus on Royal. Just took our first Celebrity cruise, looking to try other cruise lines since the slog to make Pinnacle is loooooong. I understand MSC does status matching.  Do you do that after you have booked?

Also I know prices vary, but am interested in pricing on internet packages and non alcoholic drink packages, roughly.

We are looking at October 2024 to try MSC. Destinations are not primary focus, we just like to be on a ship and relaxing. Likely for a 7 night cruise.

Also, what is the private island like? I see sometimes it stays overnight there, seems interesting.

Thank you for any tips or help you can offer!

1 hour ago, VernRDH said:

We (me 52) and DH (53) are Diamond plus on Royal. Just took our first Celebrity cruise, looking to try other cruise lines since the slog to make Pinnacle is loooooong. I understand MSC does status matching.  Do you do that after you have booked?

Also I know prices vary, but am interested in pricing on internet packages and non alcoholic drink packages, roughly.

We are looking at October 2024 to try MSC. Destinations are not primary focus, we just like to be on a ship and relaxing. Likely for a 7 night cruise.

Also, what is the private island like? I see sometimes it stays overnight there, seems interesting.

You can apply for status match before booking so you can get the Voyager's Club discount on your booking. Here is the form to apply:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/status-match

I found Ocean Cay to be quite relaxing. It doesn't have the water parks, zip lines, etc., but that is the point. (Nor does it have the $$$$ costs that go with those kinds of attractions).

It has many beaches of various types, and crowd sizes. There is a large lagoon beach, as well as more secluded beaches on other sides. Yacht Club has their own dedicated beach, as one would expect.

You can be as busy or as restful as you choose.

There is a large section off to the left side (from the dock perspective) that appears to be in the planning stages still. I can't find any references to what might be planned there.

Edited by tscoffey

Thanks for the form! I will definitely get those done.

Hoping someone has some guidance on pricing for drink packages and internet.

When you do an online search you will see a “basic” price and a price that includes Easy Plus Beverages and Internet. To my knowledge they do not offer a package that combines nonalcoholic beverages and internet. For that combination your best choice would be the “basic” price l and add nonalcoholic package and internet separately.  I don’t think you can see those prices unless you have a cruise booked. I do so give me a few minutes to look it up and see what I can find. Then you could compare both ways. Make sense?

Oh yes, Ocean Cay could not be better. 

Thanks for the form! I will definitely get those done.

Hoping someone has some guidance on pricing for drink packages and internet.

Me again:

$196 per person for non alcoholic package

$72 per person for one device

So run a couple examples comparing the basic price and adding above two items after the fact AND price that includes easy plus and internet.

Have been on 10+ MSC cruises, thoroughly enjoy. 

Thank you cellfree for that info! Yes I saw the all inclusive price and then the basic price. We are in the early stages of exploring, just trying to gather information so we aren't surprised! 

I saw a few videos on YouTube about ocean cay, does remind me of Coco Cay before it got redone. Looks beautiful

thanks again!

I have a friend sailing MSC in October asking me all sorts of questions i dont have answers to —  What is the price for a can of pop and what is the price for a small bottle of water?

29 minutes ago, mosiegirl said:

I have a friend sailing MSC in October asking me all sorts of questions i dont have answers to —  What is the price for a can of pop and what is the price for a small bottle of water?

A 17 oz bottle of spring water is $3.25. A can of soda is $3.50. An 11 ounce glass of soda with ice is $3.00

On 5/1/2023 at 9:19 PM, VernRDH said:

Here is a link for the drink packages in 2023 and the drink menus for MSC.  Second link is for a great map of Ocean Cay.  Hope they help.

Ocean is an awesome island. Quiet, serene, and beautiful. We love it compared to other private islands. No big water slides or zip lines.

https://profcruise.com/msc-bar-menus-and-drink-prices-2023/

https://www.mscoceancay.com/en-us/map-of-the-island

Edited by ready2cruzagain

On 5/1/2023 at 9:19 PM, VernRDH said:

Use a travel agent!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

OP, For the love of God, do not ask him to explain his statement!

Your fellow Cruise Critic members will thank you....

Wasn't planning on it. 😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Here is a link for the drink packages in 2023 and the drink menus for MSC.  Second link is for a great map of Ocean Cay.  Hope they help.

Ocean is an awesome island. Quiet, serene, and beautiful. We love it compared to other private islands. No big water slides or zip lines.

https://profcruise.com/msc-bar-menus-and-drink-prices-2023/

https://www.mscoceancay.com/en-us/map-of-the-island

thank you for this! Definitely helps with the research. 

Yes Ocean Cay certainly looks lovely, our kind of peace and serenity!

7 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Use a travel agent!!!!!!

The reason I typically don't use travel agents is because I don't wish to torture them.  I will take the torture, as I've learned how they operate.

1. Try not to call MSC unless you really, really have to.

2. Try not to change anything with MSC.  Not even dining times, as it will often result in repricing.

3. Login periodically to make sure everything looks okay.  They've been known to do major changes, such as cancellations or cabin changes, without informing their passengers.

Don't want to scare the OP away.  Just some ground rules that may spare them from frustration.

6 minutes ago, island visitor said:

Do they offer a soda package?

Yes, they have an alcohol free package that includes soda 

Book now online your drink package at the lowest price compared to the onboard price*! Including:

• Non-alcoholic cocktails
  • Fresh fruit and protein cocktails
  • Energy drinks
  • Sodas
  • Energy drinks
  • Flavored water
  • Soda by glass and bottle
  • Wide range of hot drinks
  • Soft serve ice cream
  • Beverage gratuities included