Polo and Jeans in MDR on Gala Night?

RBrowny

Our Gala night is the night before we get off the ship, so putting everything back in our suitcase ready will be a hassle. Are you allowed in with Polo and Jeans, or not? I don't want to be "scruffy" or under dressed, and definitely not standing out or feeling awkward. Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

You could do dinner and then go change into your travel clothes, we have done this 

many times.

I was thinking this, but It means packing an extra pair of evening shoes - that's all, and pants that match it.

2 minutes ago, bruce85 said:

Not sure what boat. But I have sailed Divina, Seaside, Mergivila and worn jean and polos or shirt in MDR all the time. Never a problem

It's the World Europa, and it will be gala night. The other nights, I am not too bothered with

I wouldn't think twice....there were people in shorts and polos on Gala night on our World Europa cruise (and yes, I know shorts are technically not permitted).  Yes, also people in full evening gowns and tuxedo's.  If it doesn't bother you, MSC doesn't care.

• Like 1

We’re on the Meraviglia now and we had our gala night yesterday. I was surprised at how many people were dressed down. There were men in T-shirts and shorts and not one word was said. So I wouldn’t worry about how you’re dressed.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, Rik2084 said:

We’re on the Meraviglia now and we had our gala night yesterday. I was surprised at how many people were dressed down. There were men in T-shirts and shorts and not one word was said. So I wouldn’t worry about how you’re dressed.

Good to know. One less suitcase to pack.

As someone who often meets with top-level execs from a gamut of organizations in my work life, it's been ages since I donned a suit or even a tie. Most days, I'm in very nice denim, sharp dress oxfords, a button-up with a sports coat or blazer, and maybe a pocket square for added flair. And it's never given anyone pause or made me feel out of place. I think we can kiss the days of the obligatory suit and tie goodbye. Of course, if that's your thing, knock yourself out, but the pressure to suit up is much less stringent these days. I do, however, bust out the suit and tie for special occasions like weddings or funerals.

All of that to say, if a cruise line even thinks about requiring me to put on a suit for dinner, when I wouldn't do so for million-dollar business deals, I'd probably have some choice words for them. 😁

• Like 3

Let's see from where I see it.

In Europe MSC practices multiple porting, meaning that pretty much every port would to be a partial turnaround day, and they tend to seat people in the MDR according to the port they entered in. That said; if you're on your last night at sea, chances are your peers at MDR will also to be. Needless to say that all your section will be on last night cruise mood. Consequently comfortable cloths will be no problem.

According to the descriptions plainly available on CC I believe that formal nights in the med are far more followed than on the UK or US sailings, but that won't affect directly you.

Have a nice day!...