Live solo report from the 22 day European Splendor and Voyage of the Midnight Sun on N. Statendam

I made it home safe and sound. After my sprint to the airport I had a smooth flight. Check in at the Amsterdam airport was fast and efficient. I got in the wrong passport line but it ended up taking no longer than the correct one. The lounge for United was closed so I used the time to walk around and spend some extra euros I had. I was a bit shocked when we took a bus to the airplane and had to climb stairs into the plane. I did ask for assistance with my carry on bag  as my hand is not the best and I needed the other one for holding on to the rail.  Customs in DC was incredibly fast with my global entry. I timed myself and it took 33 minutes from departing the plane until I was in the Polaris lounge. Re entry into the real world has been tough. I was up early yesterday, unpacked and laundry done by 9 AM and have been dragging ever since. It was a great trip and one I can see myself doing again in the future. Safe travels!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Ta da! You did it!!! 

And you're better than I am, getting your laundry done already. One of the good things about living alone is that I can dump the laundry in a pile and wait until I have recovered from the time changes to face up to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 5:39 PM, 81Zoomie said:

We would be interested in hearing your flight experience once you get home. We will be departing AMS on Delta in July.

We left our Hilton Hotel at the airport at 8:30am (for 10:35am flight) and walked to the Delta Sky Priority desk for baggage check-in.  We were the only passengers there.   Quick and easy, and no baggage weight problems.  Checked 2 bags each for the trip home.

We then breezed through security and passport control.  No lines!  Carry-on baggage can go on the belt without taking anything out.  Shoes and belts stayed on.  My bag was flagged and had to be hand checked. Done in seconds!   Turns out it was my jewelry bag.  Too much metal in a small space.  LOL   My DH had to be checked manually because he wears a large heart defibrillator under his arm.  He usually sets the machine off.  One swipe with the wand and we were off to our gate with plenty of time for a bathroom stop. 

Turns out that we had more of wait. 😯  Our flight was delayed 1 hour because of a gate back up for a flight going to Lima, Peru.  A little bit of a mess for a while.  As Lorraine mentioned, we also had to take a bus ride out to the jet on the tarmac (and a walk up a long set of stairs), but Delta did a wonderful job of getting everyone settled in, and even made-up the time in the air!

Passport control in ATL was busy, but move pretty fast.  Next we had to pick-up our luggage and recheck for a 2nd flight (booked separately) to our home airport. We had to go back through security.  My hand bag was then flagged.  Two spiral suckers for the grandchildren was the culprit.  They did not like how the suckers were wedged (for protection) between 4 packages of Dutch souvenir paper napkins. 🙄

• Like 3

Wow, for a huge airport, your experience was very fast!!

I had to laugh at the jewelry search. I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I have a couple of chunky metal necklaces that raised suspicion. The system or the guy at the monitor flagged the case. The guy who had to check it glanced at the monitor and sighed, "It's just jewelry," but he had to check. Thank goodness I had it in a little packing cube and he could see what it was without having to open it. 

But I have never had my bag checked because of candy! 

• Like 2

We were surprised, as well.  I think our timing was very good. 

It is actually the second time that I have had my jewelry examined.  The first was several years ago when leaving out of my small hometown airport.  Both times, the packing roll was opened and examined.  It's mostly costume jewelry (good stuff stays on me), but I still don't like it examined. 

Had some Belgium chocolate that I thought the guy was going to confiscate.  His mouth was watering.  😁  As for the suckers being carefully transported.  This afternoon, I was putting gift bags together for the souvenirs that we purchased for our grandchildren, and I dropped one of the suckers!   Smashed to smithereens!    I also broke one of the troll Vikings I got my grandson.  Broke a leg off.  😪

Edited by Iamthesea

I can walk, but not from one end of a big airport to another in a rush to make a connection, so I’ve learned to ask for wheelchair assistance.  In Amsterdam, they putt the wheelchair on a loader platform, drove out to the plane and then raised the platform just like they use for loading food/ supplies.  They did let me walk from the back door to my seat.  So if the plane is likely to be out and using steps, wheelchair assistance in Amsterdam is invaluable!

Barbara M. In NH

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reviews.

What was the coffee in the Lido and  with room service?  Is there a bold coffee choice? Any flavored creamers? I’m sailing on the NS 7/2-8/2 and wondering if I should bring flavored creamers or bold coffee.  

1 minute ago, pelishek said:

Thanks for your reviews.

What was the coffee in the Lido and  with room service?  Is there a bold coffee choice? Any flavored creamers? I’m sailing on the NS 7/2-8/2 and wondering if I should bring flavored creamers or bold coffee.  

Hopefully others will answer I don’t drink coffee. Sorry 

I don't remember seeing any flavored creamers. The Lido coffee is ok but really liked my morning latte from the Grand Dutch Cafe (part of the beverage package). There, they had the flavored syrups and I'm sure you could ask for a bold brew. I've also found some powdered, flavored coffee creamers at our grocery store which is easier than the little CoffeeMate pods. Have fun!