Live solo report from the 22 day European Splendor and Voyage of the Midnight Sun on N. Statendam

Greetings from Nieuw Statendam. This is my first time on a pinnacle class ship and I’m looking forward to exploring. My room is on the 10th floor and I happen to be next-door to a little girl in quarantine with chickenpox. Her mom said they were not allowed to get off the ship and her dad and brother flew home. She will need to stay on until Amsterdam, which is their home port. Since chickenpox has a long incubation. period. I don’t need to worry about a chickenpox  outbreak on the ship. She most likely was exposed before she went on her cruise.

I dined in Club Orange tonight and had no problem getting a table. They have low tables and high tables. Most people want the low tables so there may be a problem waiting for a low table. The wait staff was incredibly attentive. I asked, and they say some of the food is prepared there such as the steak and salmon, and some comes from the main dining room, which is close by. Breakfast is made to order in club Orange. 

They had a performance on the Lincoln Center stage tonight along with BB Kings and Rolling Stone on. A spied a treat that I am sure I will be trying sooner rather than later. I just need to have a big appetite.

We had our cruise critic meet up at sail away tonight and I got to visit with a few people that I will be going on excursions with. I missed the solo meet up, but might try tomorrow.

have a great day!08A6DB11-DE8D-4252-9CCD-05007F293654.thumb.jpeg.c824dcdebbdec898de97820be8f18163.jpeg58D49C6B-FB52-45A8-BC3B-DA9CFCCC37D9.thumb.jpeg.c56748632facd8b25653b3259eeb3b61.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Greetings from Nieuw Statendam. This is my first time on a pinnacle class ship and I’m looking forward to exploring. My room is on the 10th floor and I happen to be next-door to a little girl in quarantine with chickenpox. Her mom said they were not allowed to get off the ship and her dad and brother flew home. She will need to stay on until Amsterdam, which is their home port. Since chickenpox has a long incubation. period. I don’t need to worry about a chickenpox  outbreak on the ship. She most likely was exposed before she went on her cruise.

I dined in Club Orange tonight and had no problem getting a table. They have low tables and high tables. Most people want the low tables so there may be a problem waiting for a low table. The wait staff was incredibly attentive. I asked, and they say some of the food is prepared there such as the steak and salmon, and some comes from the main dining room, which is close by. Breakfast is made to order in club Orange. 

They had a performance on the Lincoln Center stage tonight along with BB Kings and Rolling Stone on. A spied a treat that I am sure I will be trying sooner rather than later. I just need to have a big appetite.

We had our cruise critic meet up at sail away tonight and I got to visit with a few people that I will be going on excursions with. I missed the solo meet up, but might try tomorrow.

have a great day!08A6DB11-DE8D-4252-9CCD-05007F293654.thumb.jpeg.c824dcdebbdec898de97820be8f18163.jpeg58D49C6B-FB52-45A8-BC3B-DA9CFCCC37D9.thumb.jpeg.c56748632facd8b25653b3259eeb3b61.jpeg

Woo hoo!  You’re on board 👍. Have an absolutely fabulous time 🙂 

Wish I was on with you but sadly, fate played a hand in that 😔

Enjoy!  I am SO glad you got Club Orange.  I really enjoyed it and hope you do too. 🤞 

• Like 5

Interesting to hear that there was a quartet in Lincoln Center Stage. Please report if they stay onboard and play most days or they are more of a visiting performance. Thus could be encouraging!  

Enjoy the advantages of the Pinnacle class, roll along with the downsides…. Stay well and safe! 
Maureen 

• Like 1

Good afternoon to you (evening to me,)

It is the end of day 2. We visited the ancient city of Cartagena Spain built over 2200 years ago. It was the first day of a three day festival celebrating the start of spring. They had music playing and when I got off the ship the orchestra in the park was playing the Star spangled Banner. There were little kids dressed up for first communion, food and tables out and others festivities. After walking around a bit I got on a double decker bus for a tour.

All the music venues are playing tonight and there is a  movie under the stars. The Dutch Cafe is my new frenemy. I had a delicious mixed berry pannenkoken. You will have to excuse the half eaten picture but I forgot to get one before I started. There has been zero wait at club orange. They learned my name and are so attentive. I have reservations at Pinnacle Grill tomorrow. I have read mixed reviews. It is one of my free perks. I will go in with an open mind. 

There have been a few curmudgeons I have met but I listen, smile and put their face to memory to avoid them in the future. I met two fun ladies on the bus tour and we had a good time. 

I teared up once tonight when the piano player played my husband and my song. It was bitter sweet. Maybe a sign he is with me. 

BAFD3507-CC93-4B29-AB8F-1CEB875E5851.thumb.jpeg.386420b0a13e58add970b1324e5f2e2d.jpeg25C4868B-4AD2-465C-BF8F-474A013194BA.thumb.jpeg.78d9da2b8000a3185147519225f18a12.jpeg698661B0-E447-4119-BFD0-A834059B5ED8.thumb.jpeg.8e8ded7d02038427dbde5c4036b3a281.jpeg

• Like 21

So glad that you are having a positive experience, Lorraine.  Good for you!  Who needs curmudgeons!!!   

Cartagena is a very colorful city, but sounds like you hit the jackpot with the festivities.  Wish I had seen all that when there a few years ago.

I now have a new favorite term...frenemy.  Never heard that one!

Have fun!!!

• Like 3

@cruising sister  Just found this thread and will follow along now.  I am always interested in solo cruising experiences.   The Dutch Cafe is also my “frenemy”, their food is delicious but my downfall is I love their lattes.  

I believe in signs and yes, I do think your husband is with you.  There may be a few more tearing up at times but it sounds like you are doing amazing.  

Have a wonderful time! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I teared up once tonight when the piano player played my husband and my song. It was bitter sweet. Maybe a sign he is with me. 

Betting it is, too. There are signs all around us. We just have to pay attention and see them for what they are. Take comfort in the positives. 

• Like 12

How wonderful to luck into local festivities! You're forgiven for the pic of partially consumed food. I might have licked the plate before I thought to take a photo. 

Yes, those bittersweet moments come out of nowhere. Focus on the sweet and think of it as him wishing you a good trip.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cruising sister said:

There have been a few curmudgeons I have met but I listen, smile and put their face to memory to avoid them in the future. I met two fun ladies on the bus tour and we had a good time. 

That is a good way to handle those type of situations. People who just want to complain are very tiring. Best to avoid them when you can!

4 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I hope you find comfort in the good memories.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon to you (evening to me,)

It is the end of day 2. We visited the ancient city of Cartagena Spain built over 2200 years ago. It was the first day of a three day festival celebrating the start of spring. They had music playing and when I got off the ship the orchestra in the park was playing the Star spangled Banner. There were little kids dressed up for first communion, food and tables out and others festivities. After walking around a bit I got on a double decker bus for a tour.

How nice that you hit their spring festivities 👍 I love Cartagena - they know how to celebrate!  DH and I lucked into being there tat Easter and they were doing those fabulous processions.  It was the first time we waited until 10 minutes before to  board.  We didn’t want to miss it LOL.

There has been zero wait at club orange. They learned my name and are so attentive. I have reservations at Pinnacle Grill tomorrow. I have read mixed reviews. It is one of my free perks. I will go in with an open mind. 

Excellent!  So glad to hear that you are being treated well in CO.  👍 

Smart on the curmudgeons.  Usually they are few and far between.  It sounds like you are doing well on your first solo cruise.  I am so glad.

Teary is going to happen.  It can’t be helped.  But this is a sign, I believe - he is with you ♥️. And I’m sure he is happy to see you travelling.

Great reports and pics - thanks so much for sharing.  I am so glad you are doing this cruise.  Wish I hadn’t had to cancel - it’s a lovely itinerary and I hope you enjoy it all 🤞 

• Like 7

It is the end of day 4. We had an itinerary change from Gibraltar to Ceuta Spanish Morocco Spain. The city sits on the northern most point of Africa, and is bordered by Morocco. It was a military port, for Spain and is still part of Spain today. Now I can say I have been on the continent of Africa. The city was very easy to walk around and had interesting architecture. The remnants of the old walled city were there to tour on your own. The fogged rolled I just as we were getting off the ship. 

I ate at Pinnacle Grill tonight and it was ok. I was seated between two couples one that did not speak English and one made it very clear they weren’t interested in talking. The weight staff was attentive and I was served promptly. I was tired, so it was OK that people weren’t interested in chatting. I had a seaweed wrap and a massage this afternoon, and was feeling the fatigue.

We are in Lisbon Portugal tomorrow and I have a walking tour that was organized by someone on our roll call.

A06CC3BC-C79C-4E46-9DE1-75B3BC159EC2.thumb.jpeg.9a3c8e595691171fe96ad6737191f2b4.jpeg066B2A39-8495-41A3-9430-6DCCA79676D2.thumb.jpeg.76b6758936451fad9a57c8fd4758abad.jpegE90773DB-7125-4DA9-886D-2FA9E69D43B8.thumb.jpeg.2c4047b9fdfb0405e76fa92b89a4578f.jpeg84CC0D02-87E1-442E-AAF5-71FD523ABE15.thumb.jpeg.b974882124f68522aa66e7b190101ac1.jpeg

• Like 21

We docked in Lisbon around noon. We are now staying until 10PM due to the cancellation of Brest France. Good news is we dock in our second French port of Le Havre earlier. There are long excursions there and people can now leave earlier. 

I took a bus tour with members of the toll call and I walked around old town by myself. I bought a stuff rooster ( that makes noise) for the little girl who is quarantined with chicken pox in the cabin next to me. The rooster is a symbol of good luck and well being in Portugal.  Her mom will be cursing me later!

I did not get my giant chocolate ball today. I will try for tomorrow when we have 2 days at sea. The sea days  will be nice as my broken toe needs a break. 

DCDD590C-2C28-45FB-B6DE-09335970A9A2.thumb.jpeg.9243be47655100bc05c2ada7178ecaa4.jpeg2D468B71-387F-4D7B-88BA-4F9B612F9FDD.thumb.jpeg.480f31a91f9f1794a53cdf883e4e90c8.jpegDCBBC3A8-748F-4C55-849C-D1E675B68D2F.thumb.jpeg.f23b0a7c44da17534806737dfc5a1a3b.jpeg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, cruising sister said:

I did not get my giant chocolate ball today. I will try for tomorrow when we have 2 days at sea. The sea days  will be nice as my broken toe needs a break. 

If you do a lap or two around the promenade you can justify the giant chocolate ball.  It is kind of like an oversized cream puff.  And, it is actually pretty light even though it doesn't look like it. I used to do six laps, but since you have an injured toe, 1-2 would make the chocolate ball a good reward.

• Like 5

So very happy for you that this special cruise is taking you to beautiful places!  Thanks for the excellent pics, some good memories for me and new places too. Hope resting your toe helps. 
And how great to hear your special song. Tears of love!  Always in your heart!  And you are not alone, we’re all right there with you, waiting for a taste of the chocolate bollen !  Enjoy!  
Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 2

Lorraine @cruising sister hope you're not having too much pain from that toe!  I would be happy to have gone to Cueta, Spanish Morocco rather than Gibraltar again. Must have been there 8 times already!  Anyway, for accuracy on the Daily, you are NOT going to Brest tomorrow, and are going to Le Havre May 12 correct?  Do you know the docking time on the 12th?  And are you going to have sea days tomorrow and Thursday?  Thanks for any help with this fact finding mission!

• Like 3