Must lock balcony door for AC to work

cantgetin

OK, so maybe I am an idiot....we used the tablet to report that the AC wasn't working, and when we got no response to that, called Sailor Services.  When the engineer came up, we learned that we must LOCK the balcony door in order for the AC to turn on.  We knew the door had to be closed, but didn't realize it needed to be locked.  Sorry that no one mentioned that to us; it could have saved the engineer a trip.

Hmmm...we have a sticker that says no smoking on balcony on the door.  Nothing about the AC on the door or on the AC controls.  Might be hiding in the Red Book.  We figured it had to be closed as that's common on other lines.  But as I said, it might count as my one "idiot move" on this cruise.  

There was a sticker advising it must be in lock position on our cabin on Valiant. Pro-tip - it's a small magnet that makes contact with the white door sensor on the top area of the frame that will trigger the AC back on. *😉

• Like 3

I mean, it is kind of clear why. If you are in a hot location, and open the door hot air rushes in and will beat any air con you have running. So make the system cut out and save power. Then when the hot air is stopped from coming in again, turn the cooling back on. 

10 minutes ago, Lustate said:

I mean, it is kind of clear why. If you are in a hot location, and open the door hot air rushes in and will beat any air con you have running. So make the system cut out and save power. Then when the hot air is stopped from coming in again, turn the cooling back on. 

Thank you for your input.  The issue was that the door had to be locked, not closed.  I was well aware of the need for the balcony door needing to be closed from on other cruise lines. as well as the concept of keeping the curtains closed while we were out of the room.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Thank you for your input.  The issue was that the door had to be locked, not closed.  I was well aware of the need for the balcony door needing to be closed from on other cruise lines. as well as the concept of keeping the curtains closed while we were out of the room.

I'll admit that I've never heard of having to lock the door to get the AC to switch on, but I understand it.  It beats the "hack" of placing a magnet over the door switch when the system is just having to keep the door closed to get the AC on.  Here there is a switch inside the door jamb that activates when the latch goes into the locked position.  Good improvement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, ivanidea said:

So, if my wife wants to enjoy the sun on the balcony, but I want to take a nap in the air conditioned cabin, I have to lock her outside?  Doesn't sound very safe to me.

Yes, if you want the AC, you must lock the door.  I was well aware that the door needed to be closed, but didn't realize initially that it needed to be locked.

7 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Yes, if you want the AC, you must lock the door.  I was well aware that the door needed to be closed, but didn't realize initially that it needed to be locked.

Sorry but this seems crazy! Hubby or I will often wake up early and just sit out on the balcony watching the sun rise or enjoying the waves... that's not gonna work this cruise if it means that the person left in the cabin is sweating instead of sleeping!

12 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Sorry but this seems crazy! Hubby or I will often wake up early and just sit out on the balcony watching the sun rise or enjoying the waves... that's not gonna work this cruise if it means that the person left in the cabin is sweating instead of sleeping!

I didn't say it wasn't crazy, and I agree.  On the other hand, you can go out and enjoy the balcony.  It will take some time for the room to heat up to an uncomfortable level.  I honestly don't remember needing to LOCK the door on other lines, just to close it completely.  However, it has been a while since we've done other lines, so my memory may be failing me.