Question About Buying Soft Drinks Onboard NCL Ships

My husband and I are booked on the NCL Sky for June 18th - 9 days. Even though we’ve been on 15+ NCL cruises we’ve never purchased the soft drink package. Mainly because my husband drinks soda and I don’t. Thanks to Covid we haven’t sailed in more than 3 years (our 2022 cruise was cancelled by NCL). I know that in 2020 it cost about $4 to buy a can of Coke/Pepsi at the bar. With our soaring inflation, does anyone know what it costs now? 

15 minutes ago, GamblingHabit said:

My husband and I are booked on the NCL Sky for June 18th - 9 days. Even though we’ve been on 15+ NCL cruises we’ve never purchased the soft drink package. Mainly because my husband drinks soda and I don’t. Thanks to Covid we haven’t sailed in more than 3 years (our 2022 cruise was cancelled by NCL). I know that in 2020 it cost about $4 to buy a can of Coke/Pepsi at the bar. With our soaring inflation, does anyone know what it costs now? 

It's still the same--about $4. you can request a can at some locations. I'd also recommend asking for no ice if they don't have cans. They put a lot of ice in those cups!

1 hour ago, GamblingHabit said:

We have a lot of OBC to use.  After boarding, I use the non-refundable OBC to purchase the soda package for myself as my husband doesn't drink much soda.    After purchasing, you need to go to guest services to have the room card reprinted with 'SODA'.   

When you go by any bar after that you can order one or two sodas at a time.  They just glance at the card....no need to swipe.

4 hours ago, GamblingHabit said:

The fact that he drinsk soda and you don't is irrelevant as long as he would drink enough to make the package cost efficient for him.  Just because he buys it does not mean you have to as well.

5 hours ago, GamblingHabit said:

Prices for a cup, not can of soda. Add 20% gratuity. 
IMG_4085.thumb.jpeg.2b8656f3729a736c8f5081e3ab51d6ee.jpeg

47 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The fact that he drinsk soda and you don't is irrelevant as long as he would drink enough to make the package cost efficient for him.  Just because he buys it does not mean you have to as well.

It is still relevant--as the cost of a soda package for 2 people for a 9-day cruise would be $9.95/pp/pd, which would be $180 plus 20% gratuity. The person who drinks soda would have to drink over 45 sodas (worth $4 each) over the course of 9 days (5 sodas per day) to make it "worth it". If @GamblingHabit drinks that much soda, then it would make financial sense.

We did the soda package on our last Caribbean cruise, and we drank a LOT of diet Coke to get our money's worth. I don't think I'll drink Diet Coke again. Honestly, I won't purchase it again as I can spend money elsewhere and just have an occasional soda.

55 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

I’m brand new to NCL, but based on the above thread, is it possible for one guest to buy the soda package, or do both people on the reservation have to get a package? TIA.

Yes-  That was what I was trying to explain above.

I cruise with NCL about 4 times a year.  I always purchase the Soda package for one after we board.  My spouse shares my cabin, but is not required to purchase the package.

• Like 2

Just now, Sand and Seas said:

Yes-  That was what I was trying to explain above.

I cruise with NCL about 4 times a year.  I always purchase the Soda package for one after we board.  My spouse shares my cabin, but is not required to purchase the package.

When I purchased the soda package ahead of time, I had to purchase it for my husband and I. Are the rules different once you get on board?

Just now, sherrihall128 said:

When I purchased the soda package ahead of time, I had to purchase it for my husband and I. Are the rules different once you get on board?

Yes

After boarding, you can purchase the Soda package individually.  After purchasing, you then go to Guest Services and have them print you a new card with 'SODA' on it.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GamblingHabit said:

Who do we see about buying the soda package, just for my husband, once we are on board? Doing the math it makes more sense to buy a soda package for one person vs buying 3 to 4 cans of soda per day.

After boarding,  look for the venue where they are selling carton water packages and beverage package  upgrades.  On the larger ships this has usually been the comedy club close to where they are helping you with dining reservations. 

I've also been told that any bar can sign you up for it.  I recall once signing up for it at the bar in the atrium.  After signing up, take the receipt they give you and go to the guest services desk to get your new card printed.