50 cabins unsold with a week to go

The April 14 Athens to Istanbul cruise has many available categories.  I think that's the one to which Pack Leader is referring.  I don't know what the deal is.  At the time most people were booking this cruise Greece was still requiring cruise passengers to test negative for COVID before boarding.  That might have  discourages some prospective guests.

The return cruise from Istanbul back to Athens is waitlisted in every category.  Go figure.

Fifty empty suites is not good for Regent but to me it means easier access to the specialty restaurants and hopefully less-crowded excursions.  I'm OK with that.

The ship holds -750 and 50 suites sounds like a lot but that is really only -100 passengers. The ship is sailing at 80-90 % full. We have done some segments on the Mariner and the Navigator that were less full than that.

Sure makes for more times in the speciality restaurants! And this was precovid. 

7 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

The April 14 Athens to Istanbul cruise has many available categories.  I think that's the one to which Pack Leader is referring.  I don't know what the deal is.  At the time most people were booking this cruise Greece was still requiring cruise passengers to test negative for COVID before boarding.  That might have  discourages some prospective guests.

The return cruise from Istanbul back to Athens is waitlisted in every category.  Go figure.

Fifty empty suites is not good for Regent but to me it means easier access to the specialty restaurants and hopefully less-crowded excursions.  I'm OK with that.

Agree, I am hopeful it stays undersold. Regarding discounts I was surprised there were no last minute promotions to sell the remaining cabins.

7 hours ago, cwn said:

The ship holds -750 and 50 suites sounds like a lot but that is really only -100 passengers. The ship is sailing at 80-90 % full. We have done some segments on the Mariner and the Navigator that were less full than that.

Sure makes for more times in the speciality restaurants! And this was precovid. 

Exactly I am hoping that is the case  We may just be lucky with the cruise we booked. At the time our agent said that it may be too cold for those passengers from the US who might choose that itinerary later in the summer, whereas for us Brits  the temperatures will be perfect. First Regent cruise. Can't wait!

We have friends currently on Celebrity on a Trans Atlantic.  The ship sailed last Friday with only 45% passenger load.  There are lots if reasons people choose not to cruise, especially post Covid.  It simply is what it is.  

My understanding is Regent, as a policy,  doesn't "dump" fares to fill their ships.  So they may offer some specials to help sales, but generally they tend to just sail with a reduced load.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished Regent Navigator, Miami to Miami, which wasn't full a few months ago, but was extremely full when it sailed.I think there were a lot of guaranteed bookings that all were resolved the week before we sailed (without additional cost for some). Restaurant and bars were very full onboard, and we saw numerous cots being removed from cabins yesterday morning as we disembarked.

I wouldn't expect many cruises to be less than full by sailing time on Regent. Possibly Trans Atlantic crossings since that attracts a different set of passengers that don't mind not having ports to explore, and don't get seasick.

On 5/4/2023 at 1:19 PM, Pack Leader said:

Is that unusual? Sounds like a lot of unsold cabins to me. Figures provided by Regent. No signs of any discounting. Just wondering if ships are sailing below capacity at the moment.

How does one obtain the number of unsold cabins from Regent?  The less crowded the ship is, the happier I am.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lasereyedoc said:

How does one obtain the number of unsold cabins from Regent?  The less crowded the ship is, the happier I am.

I look on  Travel Agent website that I belong to.  When I use their cruise booking engine I can select the cruise and go cabin category by cabin category and its shows which cabins in each category are available to book.  

Edited by papaflamingo

14 hours ago, Lasereyedoc said:

We rang them, to ask about a wait listed tour and asked them then