Small ship Norwegian fjord cruise

43 minutes ago, SandyT99 said:

Bergen, Nordfjordeid, Stavanger, and Oslo.

Lots of them in formation around Bergen, Stavanger and Oslo. You need to explore possibilities in Nordfjordeid more closely. It is a small town with few options nearby. 

43 minutes ago, SandyT99 said:

We visit Denmark

Which port - Skagen?

36 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Lots of them in formation around Bergen, Stavanger and Oslo. You need to explore possibilities in Nordfjordeid more closely. It is a small town with few options nearby. 

Which port - Skagen?

37 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Which port - Skagen?

I was looking at the wrong, longer cruise. We hit the same ports in Norway, then Gothenburg in Sweden, then Aalborg and Copenhagen in Denmark. We embark from Southampton and head straight to Bergen. No other UK ports which is fine with me. For now. We’ll hit those some other time! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SandyT99 said:

We just booked a cruise this morning! We chose it because it goes to Geiranger and Flam. There weren’t many room choices available - I think others are scrambling to see those fjords too.

Congratulations! We're going on the 7 day, leaving in about 10 days, but only to Geiranger. We had to choose, as we could only go for the 7 day cruise. For this month, which we booked a long time ago, we could go to both only with a 14 day cruise. We'll let you know how it was!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We'll let you know how it was!

Please do! I’m excited about this trip already and it’s over a year away. We have a trans Atlantic cruise in 6 months starting in Barcelona so I’m brushing up on my high school Spanish. Then I have to delve into Norwegian, improve my Swedish (learned from grandma), and try to pick up a few phrases in Danish. I’m anxious to hear about your entire trip so please don’t hold back thinking you’re boring me. Safe travels!

edit: just found your YT channel. I’ll be exploring it today.

Edited by SandyT99
Add a comment

5 hours ago, SandyT99 said:

We have a trans Atlantic cruise in 6 months starting in Barcelona so I’m brushing up on my high school Spanish.

You might do better learning some Catalan for Barcelona. :classic_biggrin: When I was there locals weren't anxious to speak Spanish. By the way, I tried to learn some Catalan, and gave up. It is a VERY difficult language.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:54 AM, StollyBolly said:

We did Norway out of London on Silversea.  The added bonus is departing from Tower  Bridge.  A fabulous experience.   

We are doing Windstar out of London in August. 

StollyBolly - we were told that we will tender from Tower Millenium Pier over to the ship. Is that what you had to do? We board one day, but do not depart until the next afternoon, so we may have to tender several times to go out into London.

Anadi,   Yes.  We had a tender to the ship that was anchored next to the Belfast that we accessed the ship from.  I’m unsure how it would work if you overnight at port for going off ship.  Enjoy the Thames experience.  The bridge raising and the entire trip down the Thames is memorable.  

9 minutes ago, anadi said:

We are doing Windstar out of London in August. 

StollyBolly - we were told that we will tender from Tower Millenium Pier over to the ship. Is that what you had to do? We board one day, but do not depart until the next afternoon, so we may have to tender several times to go out into London.

Anadi,   Yes.  We had a tender to the ship that was anchored next to the Belfast that we accessed the ship from.  I’m unsure how it would work if you overnight at port for going off ship.  Enjoy the Thames experience.  The bridge raising and the entire trip down the Thames is memorable.  

sorry if this duplicated.  I’m learning doing threads on this site 

Just now, StollyBolly said:

sorry if this duplicated.  I’m learning doing threads on this site 

I am excited to be right there by Tower Bridge - it should be interesting!

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

You might do better learning some Catalan for Barcelona. :classic_biggrin: When I was there locals weren't anxious to speak Spanish. By the way, I tried to learn some Catalan, and gave up. It is a VERY difficult language.

I looked for Catalan on my Duolingo app without success. Maybe I’ll give up the remedial Spanish and start learning Norwegian for the next cruise!

47 minutes ago, SandyT99 said:

I looked for Catalan on my Duolingo app without success. Maybe I’ll give up the remedial Spanish and start learning Norwegian for the next cruise!

I wouldn’t bother with more than a few greeting words in Norwegian. I think you will find the locals speak very good English. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SandyT99 said:

Please do! I’m excited about this trip already and it’s over a year away. We have a trans Atlantic cruise in 6 months starting in Barcelona so I’m brushing up on my high school Spanish. Then I have to delve into Norwegian, improve my Swedish (learned from grandma), and try to pick up a few phrases in Danish. I’m anxious to hear about your entire trip so please don’t hold back thinking you’re boring me. Safe travels!

edit: just found your YT channel. I’ll be exploring it today.

Thanks for checking out the channel! I'll have a video about the Norway cruise posted long before you go! It might take me a couple of months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I wouldn’t bother with more than a few greeting words in Norwegian. I think you will find the locals speak very good English. 

From what I understand, that’s all I’ll be able to easily learn!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Thanks for checking out the channel! I'll have a video about the Norway cruise posted long before you go! It might take me a couple of months.

I look forward to seeing it!

14 minutes ago, SandyT99 said:

From what I understand, that’s all I’ll be able to easily learn!

I have a little over a year to come up with some Norwegian myself. My cruise is in June 2024. 

25 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I'm going next week, but I agree with your earlier post: I'll rely on their goodwill and English!

I've travelled many places in Western Europe and have never had an issue as long as I know the 'basics' of greetings, questions, menus, etc.  I have never been able to learn another language no matter what I try.  It does seem that 'everybody' speaks enough English to communicate, but I like to use the local language a bit to prove I'm not a Philistine!

12 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I have a little over a year to come up with some Norwegian myself. My cruise is in June 2024. 

For some reason I thought it was a difficult language to learn. Doing some googling, I’m learning it’s not as hard as I thought. There is hope for me!

• Like 1

Before my first trip to the Netherlands I tried to learn some Dutch. I found most of it very difficult, but I managed good morning, good afternoon, and a few more phrases. And, since I can pronounce the guttural sound of their “g” , I sound good. However, people would frequently start speaking to me in rapid Dutch, and I had to say in English that the greeting had been the extent of my Dutch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Before my first trip to the Netherlands I tried to learn some Dutch. I found most of it very difficult, but I managed good morning, good afternoon, and a few more phrases. And, since I can pronounce the guttural sound of their “g” , I sound good. However, people would frequently start speaking to me in rapid Dutch, and I had to say in English that the greeting had been the extent of my Dutch!

That's exactly what happens to me in France!  I've learned to be a little more awkward when I talk to a French person so as not to embarrass them.