Pants in specialty restaurants

BTW my wife also likes to dress down all of the time, and she usually refrains from commenting on what other people wear. But one time in the MDR on the Gem, a lady and her companion were wearing tank tops and torn jean shorts and my wife just shook her head and said "what is WRONG with people?" 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't have a photo of my "cruise" pants on my phone, so had to go seek them out at LL Bean's website. @ChiefMateJRK and @complawyer, here's my addition to the pants worn in NCL restaurants. I know you'll both appreciate them. 🤠

But really y'all, if I'm in pants on the cruise, this is what I'm in and yes that includes dinner in the Haven Restaurant. I should try wearing these to Le Bistro sometimes, except I don't want goose liver and snails. 

image.thumb.png.f5c9f3018ce7e1f094f1bf699fa5fc66.png

Okay, seriously..you're joking right?  You don't really wear pajamas to the MDR's? 

52 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Okay, seriously..you're joking right?  You don't really wear pajamas to the MDR's? 

Not joking here. To be honest, I don't believe I've worn these in the main dining room. These are my go to if I don't have shorts on. Definitely in the Haven Restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And, I am almost positive these are what I had on one evening in La Cucina (inside dining). 

I also wear these when my husband go to restaurants on land and I don't mean Applebee's, Red Lobster type restaurants. More upscale than that. 

Unless at work, I truly do not dress up. Like, ever. If I'm being paid to dress up, I do. Which is a drastic change from my teen and early twenties. My minimum wear then were a pair of Docker's-style pants (usually Ralph Lauren) and a yup...pony polo shirt. No more. It's all about comfort now and not what others think. I'm so glad I learned that in my thirties instead of sixties. 

@DCGuy64, I don't like tank tops. They're just....yuck, I wouldn't ever wear them. Never have, don't think I ever will. Definitely no denim shorts here! And, I do believe in my pants/shorts not having holes unless I'm working on the farm. Then if my shirt has a hole or my jeans do, it's because something at home ripped them while I was working. But yea, definitely no holy anything away from the house! 

21 hours ago, js said:

My husband only packs golf shorts for dinner.  
We eat in Haven and all specialty restaurants including LeBistro. We have been sat inside and sometimes thry ask us to sit outside, which is fine for us too. 

Enjoy!

My husband and son also only pack nice dress shorts for dinner.   When we were on the Epic in March, the men in our group were not allowed to wear their shorts in the Manhattan Room.   My husband and son then changed to the jeans they wore on the plane and my nephew threw on a pair of sweats.    All three looked better dressed before they changed.    Drives me crazy.     Meanwhile when we were on the Joy last September, my husband was able to wear shorts.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RB9643 said:

You're a lucky man with complete control. Good for you -- sorry for your partner

Whoa there partner!  Complete control, 🤣.  Control of which pants I wear, sure.😎

That said, if the biggest complaint anybody has about their partner is the pants they wear, then congratulations are in order, not sympathy.

59 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I sense significant jealousy.😀

Your senses are off there, pardner. 😉 I've seen a steady decline in the tastefulness of attire over the years, especially in the travel sector. It's particularly bad on airplanes. At the same time, I've seen a decline in the ability of some people to behave properly in public, again, especially on airplanes. I might be old-fashioned, but I happen to believe that a lowering of standards in what one wears leads to a commensurate decline in good behavior. Furthermore, I have seen how the rise of social media has led people increasingly to focus on shocking others in order to get "likes," leading to a "look at me, look at me" mentality. Occasionally, there are even people on Cruise Critic who seem to be more concerned with offending others by what they're allowed to get away with, rather than simply being comfortable. Of course, since vacation is supposed to be relaxing and fun, it shouldn't be about trying to outdo others in terms of how expensive or fancy our clothes are. But it also shouldn't be about seeing how "low" you can go before the cruise line cracks down on its already generous dress code.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Your senses are off there, pardner. 😉 I've seen a steady decline in the tastefulness of attire over the years, especially in the travel sector. It's particularly bad on airplanes. At the same time, I've seen a decline in the ability of some people to behave properly in public, again, especially on airplanes. I might be old-fashioned, but I happen to believe that a lowering of standards in what one wears leads to a commensurate decline in good behavior. Furthermore, I have seen how the rise of social media has led people increasingly to focus on shocking others in order to get "likes," leading to a "look at me, look at me" mentality. Occasionally, there are even people on Cruise Critic who seem to be more concerned with offending others by what they're allowed to get away with, rather than simply being comfortable. Of course, since vacation is supposed to be relaxing and fun, it shouldn't be about trying to outdo others in terms of how expensive or fancy our clothes are. But it also shouldn't be about seeing how "low" you can go before the cruise line cracks down on its already generous dress code.

I know you're not exactly responding to me...but, I just choose to be comfy. I don't really give a you know what about what anyone else wears. Wear a tux. That's awesome! I'm so glad you feel nice dressing up. Me? Well, I don't exactly wear tuxes to work, but I am in a button up and trousers. No tie, thankfully...NYS banned employers from requiring those so I am grateful! 

Anyway, I want to enjoy myself and be comfy while on vacation. My clothes are clean, don't have holes, don't show body parts that should be hidden, and are in line with the dress code. You'll notice (if you ever search for it) that I have said many times I will only go in restaurants where my attire is appropriate for the establishment. 

If others are aghast at my clothing, well perhaps they shouldn't be quite so judgmental. My clothes don't impact them. Now, if I went in smelling like sweat, poo, gasoline, car oil (I probably smelled like all of these on Sunday, btw) I would understand the looks of condemnation in a fine restaurant. I'll still argue NCL doesn't actually have "fine dining" til the cows come home (that means for a very long time, city people).

Oh, and airplanes! You're dang right I'm wearing my pj's. I'm in a cattle car of the sky. Why on earth would I not choose to be comfy? Unless, again, I'm being paid to travel for work. Then I'll put my fancy shoes and jacket on. It's all about knowing time and place. Don't be "get off my lawn, kids" to me about not dressing up on a NCL cruise. 

Alas....the topic...pants in restaurants. Le Bistro, I'll never see you! Because you require pants. And I know the dress code doesn't mean my lounge pants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Le Bistro, I'll never see you! Because you require pants. And I know the dress code doesn't mean my lounge pants. 

I've worn my nice black cotton sweats in LeBistro several times, and nobody noticed.  From a few feet away I look just as "proper" as anybody else.  I'm not "trying to get away with" anything or "seeing how low I can go."  🤣  I'm just keeping to myself, being comfortable and enjoying my cruise.  Wouldn't cruises be more fun if everybody just focused on that?😎

I was sitting at the Atrium bar on the Sky in January and spotted something out of the corner of my eye.  About 15 feet away sat a trio of old guys (like me) wearing matching Hawaiian shirts.  Brightest things I've ever seen, plastered with flamingos, flowers and who knows what else.  That made my cruise more fun.  I couldn't help but step between two of them and declare something to the effect of "I just have to say, you gentlemen are wearing the finest attire I've seen on this ship."  We all had a good laugh and, when I proclaimed that "I want in", one of them started to unbutton his shirt and quoted me a reasonable price.  I'm guessing since those shirts had collars that they may have eaten in LeBistro later! 🤣

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I know you're not exactly responding to me...but, I just choose to be comfy. I don't really give a you know what about what anyone else wears.

No, I wasn't thinking of you at all, you've made it clear that you just dress to be comfy. (Me, too, although my idea of comfy might be different than yours, but that's A-OK!) And you also don't begrudge a restaurant for having a dress code. As for smelling like gasoline and sweat, I can relate to that-at least the sweat part, I was working in the yard Saturday afternoon (no gasoline because I have an electric mower). 😊 PS Did NY really BAN employers from requiring ties? Wow... I would say what I think about that, but *I* might get banned on here for saying so, 😂.

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

No, I wasn't thinking of you at all, you've made it clear that you just dress to be comfy. (Me, too, although my idea of comfy might be different than yours, but that's A-OK!) And you also don't begrudge a restaurant for having a dress code. As for smelling like gasoline and sweat, I can relate to that-at least the sweat part, I was working in the yard Saturday afternoon (no gasoline because I have an electric mower). 😊 PS Did NY really BAN employers from requiring ties? Wow... I would say what I think about that, but *I* might get banned on here for saying so, 😂.

Well....if the employer mandates that ladies wear ties as well, then men can be forced to wear a tie. It's a gender identity/discrimination thing.

I'll save my comments on electric mowers (we won't agree and so totally not cruise-related haha).

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've worn my nice black cotton sweats in LeBistro several times, and nobody noticed.  From a few feet away I look just as "proper" as anybody else.  I'm not "trying to get away with" anything or "seeing how low I can go."  🤣  I'm just keeping to myself, being comfortable and enjoying my cruise.  Wouldn't cruises be more fun if everybody just focused on that?😎

Very true! But my lounge pants that I posted here aren't as Le Bistro appropriate as your black cotton pants. I should add, perhaps Le Bistro is "fine" dining. I've never experienced it, so my previous comment that NCL doesn't have fine dining could be incorrect. 

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wouldn't cruises be more fun if everybody just focused on that?

Or they could just be considerate and follow the rules. 😉 The problem is that that line of thinking can get SO out of hand. It used to be on airplanes that you couldn't have pets, at least not right in your seat. Then over the years, people started demanding they be allowed to have emotional support animals, that is until people began bringing squirrels and rodents who used the aisle as a toilet and bit people. I've seen people say they'll try and skirt rules about not sharing the drink package (what's the harm?) and then drink prices go up, you're limited in how many you can order at one time, everybody in the same cabin has to get it, etc. Or people who smuggle liquor on board against the rules so you have to go through a metal detector every time you get back on the ship. The list goes on. If you get to wear sweats at Le Bistro, then why can't someone else wear a thong or hot pants? Where do you draw the line? Nope, I'm pretty much 100% in favor of having dress codes...

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Well....if the employer mandates that ladies wear ties as well, then men can be forced to wear a tie. It's a gender identity/discrimination thing.

Understood. My only comment is "no comment." 😉

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Or people who smuggle liquor on board against the rules so you have to go through a metal detector every time you get back on the ship.

Are you suggesting that if people quit trying to smuggle booze that we would no longer have a security checkpoint?  That doesn't sound right.

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They require pants.  I wore pants.  Nobody got hurt.

THIS TIME. 🤣😆 (only joking, of course) Wear what you like, but I'm just sayin... be careful what you wish for. And BTW, I really like your posts on here and I appreciate your wry sense of humor. I really do. 😀 I just think you and I have a different understanding of why it's important to be reasonable. Plenty of people have complained about the cruise lines getting stingy with portions and allowing people to get more than one appetizer, entree, etc. Yet how many times have I seen people post things like "it's MY vacation, I can have AS MUCH AS I WANT, I paid for it!" Do people who say that really think there will be never be any consequences? (And just to be clear, I'm not accusing you of that, but I have read that type of thing on here)

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you suggesting that if people quit trying to smuggle booze that we would no longer have a security checkpoint?  That doesn't sound right.

No, I'm saying that requiring people to empty their bags or put them through a scanner is one way to catch the lawbreakers. If someone is of the opinion of "I don't care what the rules are, I'm bringing my Bacardi back onboard," I say "good luck."

On 5/7/2023 at 10:43 AM, MoCruiseFan said:

Yes you must wear pants, no one wants to see anyone else's naked butt, especially while dining.  🙂

Does this include a baby?

On the Encore last year, in the MDR (Savor or Taste)  a family of six brought a baby with them.  The baby was completely naked.  Not even a diaper.  That baby was placed on the booth seat multiple times before one family member decided to put a shirt on the baby (but no diaper).  The maitre d noticed, he said nothing.  Lysol spray maybe in the overhead sprinklers, for just this.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 11:51 AM, DCGuy64 said:

. . . .  I've seen a steady decline in the tastefulness of attire over the years, especially in the travel sector. It's particularly bad on airplanes. At the same time, I've seen a decline in the ability of some people to behave properly in public, again, especially on airplanes. I might be old-fashioned, but I happen to believe that a lowering of standards in what one wears leads to a commensurate decline in good behavior. But it also shouldn't be about seeing how "low" you can go before the cruise line cracks down on its already generous dress code.

+1

IMHO, it's about self respect, or lack thereof.  I'm reminded of the poster on one of my past cruises whining about the guest wearing a tank top and shorts to the Officer's dinner.  Huh?  Well, it's about being "comfortable", isn't it?  Bunny slippers and pajamas instead of that tank top and shorts!    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Goldenknight said:

Does this include a baby?

On the Encore last year, in the MDR (Savor or Taste)  a family of six brought a baby with them.  The baby was completely naked.  Not even a diaper.  That baby was placed on the booth seat multiple times before one family member decided to put a shirt on the baby (but no diaper).  The maitre d noticed, he said nothing.  Lysol spray maybe in the overhead sprinklers, for just this.

That is just plain nasty and they should not have even been allowed in and seated let alone served.  That is one that I would have absolutely said something about to our server and proceeded up teh chain to teh captain until it was resolved.  Major health issue there among other things.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 9:11 PM, complawyer said:

i live in jeans and t--shirts for the entire cruise, i jus tbring along a collared shirt to be safe if i plan on eating at le bistro.

and contrary to a prior post, most people do not dress up for dinner. the ones that do, imho look extremely out of  place.

i'm with chief mate jrk ( as i usually agree with him) on this one

Depends on your definition of "dress up". In my experience with Le Bistro and other specialty dining venues on several NCL cruises, everyone wore long pants, a collared shirt and closed-toe shoes. On a couple of cruises I remember folks being turned away for sandals or shorts, even shorts I'd consider "nice". I don't consider the above outfit dressing up, but some might. Now what I have not seen very often are suits or tuxedos........😉

Doug

3 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Depends on your definition of "dress up". In my experience with Le Bistro and other specialty dining venues on several NCL cruises, everyone wore long pants, a collared shirt and closed-toe shoes. On a couple of cruises I remember folks being turned away for sandals or shorts, even shorts I'd consider "nice". I don't consider the above outfit dressing up, but some might. Now what I have not seen very often are suits or tuxedos........😉

Doug

actually, i consider dress up for a man, jacket and tie, that's why i love ncl freestyle. my days of jacket and tie are long gone and definitely forgotten.On our 1st cruise over 40 years ago (when i didnt know any better) i brought a different suit, shirt and tie for each dinner night, as well as a tux for formal night.