Transportation from Cruise port

beau1377

Can anyone give us advice on the best way to travel from the cruise port into Venice. We will be traveling in July and need to get to our hotel for our post stay. Are there car taxis at the port? We are not interested in a water taxi.

Holland America now ports in Trieste

this is about a hour from Venice. There are lots of shuttles.  You could also use the Holland America Transfers. Did you book your post stay thru Holland America?  

If the port is Trieste, it's a 2hr journey to Venice. Which hotel are you going to?

Check with HAL about their shuttle.  It might only go to the Venice Airport or it may drop off in Tronchetto (at the edge of  Venice) as well. About $60 pp.

Otherwise you could take the train from Trieste Centrale to Venezia S.Lucia. The train station in Trieste is about a 15-20 minute walk from the pier. About 15e pp.

Or FlixBus  is an option. It has drop offs  at the airport or at Tronchetto.

About 15e pp. The bus depot is on the same block as the train stn.

22 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

If the port is Trieste, it's a 2hr journey to Venice. Which hotel are you going to?

Check with HAL about their shuttle.  It might only go to the Venice Airport or it may drop off in Tronchetto (at the edge of  Venice) as well. About $60 pp.

Otherwise you could take the train from Trieste Centrale to Venezia S.Lucia. The train station in Trieste is about a 15-20 minute walk from the pier. About 15e pp.

Or FlixBus  is an option. It has drop offs  at the airport or at Tronchetto.

About 15e pp. The bus depot is on the same block as the train stn.

Thanks for your response---

I was trying to avoid carting the luggage that's why I wanted to know about a taxi.

In the past Hollands shuttle only went to the airport, but I will ask. We are staying at Albergo Marin Hotel

Sam

4 hours ago, TGCRUISEO said:

Holland America now ports in Trieste

this is about a hour from Venice. There are lots of shuttles.  You could also use the Holland America Transfers. Did you book your post stay thru Holland America?  

Thanks for the quick answer. No, we booked our stay on our own.

Regards,

Sam

10 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

It would be helpful if you specified which port as I think there are two or three near Venice.  You could also try the Port of Call forum for Europe.

So sorry--- the port is Trieste which I now understand is 1-2 hours from Venice.

Regards,

Sam

16 minutes ago, beau1377 said:

Thanks for your response---

I was trying to avoid carting the luggage that's why I wanted to know about a taxi.

In the past Hollands shuttle only went to the airport, but I will ask. We are staying at Albergo Marin Hotel

Sam

A 2hr taxi ride would be very costly!! 

Getting dropped off at the airport isn't THAT bad. You could transfer to an ATVO airport express bus and be at Piazzale Roma 20 minutes later,, then a short walk to the hotel. 

35 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Getting dropped off at the airport isn't THAT bad. You could transfer to an ATVO airport express bus and be at Piazzale Roma 20 minutes later,, then a short walk to the hotel. 

Ok thank you for your advice.

Sam

On 5/7/2023 at 5:04 PM, mapleleaves said:

Actually there are private transfers that are quite reasonable.  If you can get a few people on the roll call, it works out as cheap as HAL and much faster.

I was going to be in Trieste after my cruise on the Oosterdam which sadly, my elbow (broken) put an end to but, I had arranged a private transfer and there are at least 3 different vehicles leaving from Trieste to either Venice proper or Marco Polo on my roll call.

I would not rule them out - especially if you are on a roll call.  You are bound to find a couple of like minded people happy to share the cost.

We asked a taxi driver in Trieste how much it would cost to get to Marco Polo airport (VCE).  He said around 230 euro.  

I have detailed how we got there and back last week in another post.    I hope that the details have not made the whole story too complicated.