Behind The Scenes Tour can now be booked online

shof515

4 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

I never have taken the paid tour, but have gone on the free tour for Latitudes members on several different ships.  We were specifically told that photos were not allowed anywhere along the "I-95" corridor.  We have never had problems taking photos in the galley, laundry, backstage, or anywhere on the bridge.  The bridge is no usually a part of the Latitudes BTS tour, but we have been invited there on a few occasions.

Only once since COVID did the free tour have the provisions area in the kitchen gallery tour. Included walk thru of one of the gigantic freezers.

Never included  the bridge tour for me pre or post COVID

Edited by fstuff1

1. When the four of us were on the Joy on August 20, we tried to book the free latitudes Behind the Scenes Tour.  We were told that it was all booked up, but that they might run another one, and they would leave a message in our cabins.  Sadly, that message never came, but they were advertising the paid one for $120.00.  That's a ridiculously high price.  No way.

Another thing that was taken away from the returning guests is the Latitudes Party.  It used to be fun, with music, and drawings for prizes.  There are no more prizes and the party is a big NOTHING.  

5 minutes ago, durberville said:

I apparently can book it for $129 each - so $258! (Oh wait, minus the $50 excursion credit - so only $208) Are you flippin’ kidding me?! That is ridiculous. 😐 

We don’t have Latitude status. 

YouTube and Mighty Cruise Ships are both a much better, way more affordable option to see the intricate bowels of these ships in my very humble opinion. 

• Thanks 1

They charge a high price to limit demand. If it was $10 the number of complaints they would get about how it was all booked would be massive.  People would be pissed, because they want to be on the tour and can't be. 

But for $129- no thanks, I'll pass.

People complain on message boards and in their groups that it is too expensive, but they aren't necessarily going to guest services to do that.  If it continually books up at this price, expect it to go higher. They are going to charge whatever they can still sell the spots for. 

It only gets better with the paid tour, and apparently maritime security b.s. is just that, an excuse to shorten the complimentary "free" tour.  Most recently priced (hold, sit tight for the next 30 seconds) at a still-affordable price of $149 USD p/p and available on 6 different days @ 09:00 ... nothing about photography not permitted.  It is now considered part of the ship's onboard entertainment ... maybe, we should see if we get a 15% discount based on our tier level (probably not, since that's for "most" shore excursions & this is likely excluded) 

Edit: interesting, price for the paid tour is priced at only $89 USD p/p - that's on the older, mid-sized but smaller ship vis-a-vis the *Away/Plus & Prima/Viva series ... dynamic market priced accordingly

But, for your convenience, of course, use of non-refundable OBC should be, cheerfully, accepted. Kindly check with your concierge, Latitudes rep or CruiseNext team onboard.  

Ever wonder what it’s like to be the Captain of a cruise ship or how those amazing theater shows we put on every night are orchestrated? If you’re somewhat curious of how a cruise line works, we’ll take you on an exciting behind-the-scenes tour of our crew working areas that you won’t soon forget. Start the journey with a presentation on the history, industry firsts and future of Norwegian Cruise Line and what it means to Cruise Like a Norwegian™. Visit the Main Galley, provisions and preparation areas and see what we’re cooking up for the day. Inside the Engine Control Room, you’ll learn about the technology and engineering that drives our vessels. In our (always busy) main laundry you’ll learn how countless amount of linen, towels and clothing are laundered and folded on every day. Go backstage in the theater and dressing rooms and for the grand finale up to the bridge to see where the ship is steered and controlled from.

Need To Know

Guests must be at least 8 years of age to participate in tour.
Edited by mking8288

I just booked the Behind the Scenes tour for our December Escape sailing.  It seemed like a nice diversion for our final sea day.  I happily paid the $129/pp.  My hubby has always wanted to see the bridge on a cruise liner since he is a 500-ton Captain.  He has only run private yachts - I think the largest was 80 ft.

On the Sky now. Paid BTS tour is $89.  It is an activity, so no latitudes or FAS discount. 

I'm not taking the paid tour but NO photography is allowed on the latitudes tour. The wording on the notice is odd, I was told it's what corporate sent them, so very possibly subject to interpretation which could explain the discrepancy by different ships. Photos have been allowed during tours, with some limitations, on other ships.

2 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:
  1. When the four of us were on the Joy on August 20, we tried to book the free latitudes Behind the Scenes Tour.  We were told that it was all booked up, but that they might run another one, and they would leave a message in our cabins.  Sadly, that message never came, but they were advertising the paid one for $120.00.  That's a ridiculously high price.  No way.

Another thing that was taken away from the returning guests is the Latitudes Party.  It used to be fun, with music, and drawings for prizes.  There are no more prizes and the party is a big NOTHING.  

I agree that $120 for a BTS tour seems awfully high, but as a Latitude member you are entitled to a free BTS tour.  The Cruise Next staff members know in advance exactly how many Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, etc. members are booked for that cruise.  They have, or should have, records of how many Latitude members have signed up for BTS tours, Dinner with an Officer, Wine Tasting, etc. on previous cruises, so they ought to have an excellent estimate of how many will want to partake of each benefit on every cruise.  This nonsense that they are fully booked and have to turn you away is just that, nonsense.  Put your foot down.  Show them the website page which promises you, as a Latitude member, certain benefits.  You have paid for them by your loyalty.  You have paid NCL thousands of dollars for the cruises you have taken to achieve your level in the Latitudes program.  NCL owes you. 

I certainly understand that sometimes safety issues, such as COVID precautions, might require NCL to suspend certain activities such as the BTS tour, just as rough seas sometimes require that a port of call must be skipped.  Poor planning on the part of the Cruise Next staff, however, is not a valid excuse for denying you a benefit to which you are entitled.  OK, now I'll come down off my soap box.

I also agree that the Latitudes Party is not as much fun as it used to be.  It now seems more like an opportunity for the Cruise Next staff to make a sales pitch to a captive audience.  Not only have they discontinued the door prizes, they also used to serve some wonderful hors d'oeuvres.  Now you're lucky to be offered some cheese cubes on toothpicks.  In the before time, when few if any passengers had a drink package and each beverage came with a charge to your account, the free cocktails at the Latitudes Party had some real value.  Today almost everyone has a drink package, so once again there isn't much value there.

6 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Sorry to hear about being shut out of the free tour.

they usually create new tours on subsequent sea days to accommodate more people.

I was on the Joy twice this summer.

1st time they added the provisions area to the free tour, which was a nice surprise.

2nd time they didnt have it. I guess it depends on the hotel mgr?

Didnt go to either Latitudes party since i already get free booze.

I'm assuming since cruisenext is hosting the party, they gave a sales pitch for cruisenext certs.

What else did they do?

22 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Didnt go to either Latitudes party since i already get free booze.

I'm assuming since cruisenext is hosting the party, they gave a sales pitch for cruisenext certs.

What else did they do?

They usually have the house band on hand for a half-hour or so playing dance music, although I don't recall anyone ever getting up to dance.  They sometimes offer hors d'oeuvres, but lately that has meant cheese cubes on toothpicks and not much else.  They introduce some of the senior officers.  In the past many of the officers would hang around and schmooze with the guests, but recently they seem to make a dash for the door soon after the introductions.  Frequently the CN Director will introduce any Ambassador Latitudes members on board.  On the Pr1ma last September in Norway there were about a half-dozen Ambassadors who were recognized.  My wife and I are a bit short of Ambassador, but apparently we were the most senior Diamond members on board.  We had sailed with the CN Director on a couple of previous cruises and she remembered us from those sailings, so she also introduced us.  I was quite surprised she did that, but it was a very thoughtful gesture.