Any experience receiving calls from the ship's main phone?

TN-Mountains

Does anyone have experience getting phone calls made to the ship from family back home?  Hubby & I are leaving for our cruise (Southampton--Norway--Iceland) in about 3 weeks.  The kids will be staying w/ grandparents.  Our cell phones should work while in port.  I don't want to pay for expensive internet especially seeing all the reports regarding how slow it is.  I plan on leaving the phone number for the ship with my mom & dad in case of an emergency.  Does anyone know how reliable it is?  Is it safe to say, if a call to that number doesn't go through neither would a call to my cell if it were running on the ship's internet?  

I have no experience in regards to the main gist of your question,  but if you are going to be on the Sky for that itinerary then note that people on the current sailing are saying that Starlink has been installed. While using this would of course require an internet package the service *should* be much improved.  We will be on the Sky next week for that same itinerary.  If you use iPhone you can reliably use texting and *maybe* FaceTime. If you use Android (as I do) you should look into WhatsApp. It is free and works very well for texting and voice calls.  This would allow you to receive calls via ship internet. 

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have no experience in regards to the main gist of your question,  but if you are going to be on the Sky for that itinerary then note that people on the current sailing are saying that Starlink has been installed. While using this would of course require an internet package the service *should* be much improved.  We will be on the Sky next week for that same itinerary.  If you use iPhone you can reliably use texting and *maybe* FaceTime. If you use Android (as I do) you should look into WhatsApp. It is free and works very well for texting and voice calls.  This would allow you to receive calls via ship internet. 

I did see where someone posted a speed test showing Starlink, but the speeds displayed were still pretty slow.  Of course, living in rural TN I know the numbers don't always represent an accurate picture.  Up until last year, my ISP only provided 25Mbps to my house.  It would function fine for surfing the web at 15Mbps or streaming Hulu.  With my new fiber service, if it drops to 50Mbps, I can't do anything!  I'm looking forward to hearing what folks on your cruise say about the internet.  Even if it is working fine, the thought of spending $210 for one device (or unlimited devices!) makes me cringe!  

29 minutes ago, antsp said:

This sounds like a extremely expensive way to keep in contact, approx $18 a mininute. Pay got Internet and you can call through WhatsApp 

Wasn't planning to use it as a way to keep in contact.  It would be for emergencies, in which case $18/ minute will be the last thing on my mind.  I'll have cell service in ports to keep in contact.  

• Like 1

We left all our cruise info with someone for emergency use and got a call one night just before dinner.  We were near the southern tip of South America.

This was Jan just before covid issues started

I did not discuss if they had any issues getting through to our cabin

• Thanks 1

Giving the ship number for emergencies is a good back up plan, if nothing else it gives peace of mind.  FaceTime, WhatsApp and WiFi calling are all good options when the internet signal strength is good.  Texting is also a good option for communication.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Giving the ship number for emergencies is a good back up plan, if nothing else it gives peace of mind.  FaceTime, WhatsApp and WiFi calling are all good options when the internet signal strength is good.  Texting is also a good option for communication.

Thanks.  I'm trying to avoid purchasing the internet plan. It is a long cruise and the price adds up quickly.  I won't be platinum until after this cruise, so I don't get half off the price.  I find it hard to justify considering I'll have cell service in port.  I've never used WhatsApp, but I've read a lot about it on these boards.  I'll likely download it in case they offer per day or end-of-cruise internet packages for the last few days since they are sea days.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Waynetor said:

We left all our cruise info with someone for emergency use and got a call one night just before dinner.  We were near the southern tip of South America.

This was Jan just before covid issues started

I did not discuss if they had any issues getting through to our cabin

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I feel better leaving a phone number knowing it should work.  

1 hour ago, TN-Mountains said:

I've never used WhatsApp, but I've read a lot about it on these boards.  I'll likely download it in case they offer per day or end-of-cruise internet packages for the last few days since they are sea days.  

WhatsApp is crazy easy to use.  The only "downside" (if there is one) is that both parties must be using it.  At a minimum, download it and get it set up.  (Free!) Have your most likely communication contact do the same just as a Plan B.  Test it out with your contact to ensure that all is well BEFORE you sail.  Depending on shore cell service is not a bad idea...but since you are going to have *several* sea days on your itinerary (we are doing the same itinerary next week) you need to plan for the "worst case".  Keep in mind that you *should* be able to buy internet on a daily basis for those sea days.  Given your budget...and the requirement to have "emergency communication" available...that's probably the best you can plan for.

While sailing around New Zealand in 2019 my DW received notice of an emergency phone call from home by way of a message on our cabin phone from Passenger Services. The message stated we had an emergency call and to contact PS for details. During a quick call to PS we were told her dad had called and requested we call home asap. It was obvious something was wrong. Using WiFi calling we called him and found her mother had suddenly passed. 
The crew of the Majestic was very helpful and offered free phone and WiFi usage to make arrangements to get home while they worked with NZ authorities to allow us to disembark at our next port (Wellington) and begin our long trip home. 
Depending on how long you’re onboard I’d consider getting the WiFi package in order to give you peace of mind and stay in touch if you aren’t used to being out of touch that long. If you use an apple device you can then send free “I-message” (think text messages) back and forth to stay in touch. 

You keep saying you will have cell service in port.  That is highly dependent on provider and what type of international plan you might have (and phone capability as well).  Last trip to Caribbean our phones would not even connect through local Wifi for voice and texting.  Worked fine for email and would probably have worked for WhatsApp.

I would still use your personal device as the main form of contact.  The message (iMessage, WhatsApp) or call (wifi, Factime), if it were go through, would go directly to you.  Having your family call the ship would mean, routing it through Guest Services, which would mean they would have to track you down to deliver the message--not impossible with the Medallion, but still, it would take longer and what if you were outside and not in your room?  Once you get the message on your device (hopefully not because that would mean something is wrong at home), you could then go to Guest Services and call home from the ships phone.

Not sure who your cell phone provider is but had no problems receiving signal with Verizon's International Plan in Scandinavia, even in the most northern parts on my Princess cruise in 2018.

22 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

WhatsApp is crazy easy to use.  The only "downside" (if there is one) is that both parties must be using it.  At a minimum, download it and get it set up.  (Free!) Have your most likely communication contact do the same just as a Plan B.  Test it out with your contact to ensure that all is well BEFORE you sail.  Depending on shore cell service is not a bad idea...but since you are going to have *several* sea days on your itinerary (we are doing the same itinerary next week) you need to plan for the "worst case".  Keep in mind that you *should* be able to buy internet on a daily basis for those sea days.  Given your budget...and the requirement to have "emergency communication" available...that's probably the best you can plan for.

I plan on downloading & testing WhatsApp this weekend.  I hope they have single-day internet passes! (I've seen mixed responses to that question on these boards.)  One of the sea days at the end of the cruise is my son's birthday so I really want to be able to call home that day.  Will you be posting live from your cruise?  If so, can you let me know how the internet/cell coverage is working?  

22 hours ago, gottagocit said:

While sailing around New Zealand in 2019 my DW received notice of an emergency phone call from home by way of a message on our cabin phone from Passenger Services. The message stated we had an emergency call and to contact PS for details. During a quick call to PS we were told her dad had called and requested we call home asap. It was obvious something was wrong. Using WiFi calling we called him and found her mother had suddenly passed. 
The crew of the Majestic was very helpful and offered free phone and WiFi usage to make arrangements to get home while they worked with NZ authorities to allow us to disembark at our next port (Wellington) and begin our long trip home. 
Depending on how long you’re onboard I’d consider getting the WiFi package in order to give you peace of mind and stay in touch if you aren’t used to being out of touch that long. If you use an apple device you can then send free “I-message” (think text messages) back and forth to stay in touch. 

Thank you for sharing.  I'm so sorry you & your wife have experience w/ the phone due to such an emergency! 

I will try to pick up some internet days toward the end of the cruise if they're available.  My kids are too quick to send a request for more 'screen time'.  I could use a break from that 🙂, so I'm okay not being in touch 24/7 as long as there is a way to reach me if needed. Plus, I'm leaving them in good hands with my parents and my sister, so I know they'll be well taken care of while I'm gone.  I'm more worried about the true emergencies/urgent situations that could arise.   

19 hours ago, LeeW said:

You keep saying you will have cell service in port.  That is highly dependent on provider and what type of international plan you might have (and phone capability as well).  Last trip to Caribbean our phones would not even connect through local Wifi for voice and texting.  Worked fine for email and would probably have worked for WhatsApp.

You're right. There could be issues with cell coverage in ports.  My husband travels extensively to Europe...he is there now & has probably spent at least half of 2023 there.  Both his work & personal phones have service there.  One is Verizon and the other AT&T, so we have some options.  And, if we don't have coverage at a port, we will survive.  We are used to not having cell coverage everywhere.  We don't have it at our house unless we connect to the wifi.   

16 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I would still use your personal device as the main form of contact.  The message (iMessage, WhatsApp) or call (wifi, Factime), if it were go through, would go directly to you.  Having your family call the ship would mean, routing it through Guest Services, which would mean they would have to track you down to deliver the message--not impossible with the Medallion, but still, it would take longer and what if you were outside and not in your room?  Once you get the message on your device (hopefully not because that would mean something is wrong at home), you could then go to Guest Services and call home from the ships phone.

Not sure who your cell phone provider is but had no problems receiving signal with Verizon's International Plan in Scandinavia, even in the most northern parts on my Princess cruise in 2018.

This is good to know.  We have Verizon and I have lots of international day passes saved in my account.  I've also been looking into GigSky.  It looks like they have relatively inexpensive data plans that are supposed to work at sea.  I'm still researching to see how well it works and how quickly the data is used.  

Edited by TN-Mountains