QM2 first timer - impressions

Nemanoxer

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

Nemanoxer was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

So, I did the 2 nights only sample cruise from SOU to HAM the last two nights. Time to confront my prejudices:

1. Only mummys will be on board.    

HELL NO, all age groups were there.

2. The entertainment will be silent in order to not wake up those with walkers.  

HELL NO, the new show "Be Our Guest" might not cause heart attacks, but it is lively, energetic, stylish, somewhat funky, the cast is on par with or near the best - I liked it. Not mentioning The Revolvers here - I guess 60s music just can´t get someone from the 80s, they let me fall asleep.

3. The food will be somewhat suffering from the things going on in the industry. 

HELL NO, the buffet restaurant is by far enough to survive the cruise. It is the same food that you get in the MDR, so no need to go there unless you love MDRs. Food is not up to Celebrity inaugural cruises (and only those... sadly...) standards, but absolutely fine and I would say still somewhat over average.

4. Extra surcharge restaurants are not worth it.

HELL NO, the Steakhouse at The Verandah was the only extra surcharge restaurant I ever found to be worth it. YUMMY.

So, was this the perfect cruise?

Naaaaahhhh, I did Celebrity too often back when they were still going full throttle. That is hard to match.

But even though I found I might go try another somewhat less traditional cruise line in the future (which is my personal taste only), this cruise was surprisingly good and the ship in surprisingly good condition for an almost 20 years old hard beaten ocean liner.

If you are not getting bored easily - go go go QM2  😊

Edited by Nemanoxer
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

That makes the second positive QM2 review today. What is happening?

I hardly dare to type this, but eventually some cruise line decided to go back to taking efforts..

• Like 2

The QM2 was the first cruise ship that I ever took and I didn't have anything to compare it with (nor did I realise that it was actually an ocean liner). Then I started to read reviews from experienced cruisers and realised how 'quirky' it was. They would point out how narrow it was compared to other ships and that it lacked things like water slides which seem to be everywhere else. And you couldn't walk from one end to the other but had to go up and down and through the art gallery to get to the Queens room, etc.  Then last year I took a cruise on QE. It was during the covid restrictions and passengers were asked to go to the Queens room for some procedure (I've forgotten the details - perhaps I have repressed it). But I can clearly recall a Cunard staff member quipping that "at least you aren't on QM2 so you'll be able to find your way there easily." But though I enjoyed the QE - and some of the spaces liked the Commodore Club and the Golden Lion seemed more capacious - I still prefer the quirkiness of QM2 and am looking forward to another  TA crossing in December. And the Iberian spirits bar in the Corinthia Lounge!

• Like 6