Taste of Royal Lunch

I'm thinking of doing the Taste of Royal lunch on my up coming cruise on the Explorer.  The first course is tuna tartar.  I do not eat raw fish, would I get something else?  Also, is the wine pairing full glasses of wine or half glasses since it is a pairing?

Judy

Unless you have free vouchers the wine pairing is extra. I've got it booked. I saw it's a fixed menu. I love fresh raw fish, but previously frozen so so but I'm looking forward to it. I dont plan on paying for the pairing just maybe asking to buy some of the paired wine with vouchers. I've never seen glasses very full. 

Idk if they will give you extra of something or substitute. Interesting question. 

Following just to see comments. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

Taste of Royal was very nice. Drinks were not included. I think your waiter and the chef will work with you to bring you a substitution. But I doubt the tartar is totally raw. I've done Chef's Table (drinks ARE included) and the Chef explained the first course - scallops carpaccio are cooked lightly, frozen so they can be cut as thin as needed for the dish. She explained nothing is served totally raw (not sure if this applies to Izumi).

Chef's Table is quite a bit more expensive (about $100 including tip) but includes a welcome drink (I think it was Prosecco with mint), a different (full) glass of wine with each course (my last one was 5 courses - so 5 wines - plus dessert, but other ships may have 4 courses plus dessert). To top it off, you get a salted caramel martini at the end. Totally decadent and I never thought it would be worth it for me, but actually the drinks alone are worth the sale price - usually $89.99 plus 18% tip. And the bonus was I met so many really nice people. You may want to think about upgrading 😉 

• Like 1

Stop by whichever restaurant is hosting the Taste of Royal beforehand and let them know you're looking for a substitute for the tuna tartar.  My friends and I did this on Harmony and they were able to get something different (I stuck with the tartar).  Everything was good, its an experience I'm glad I did, but wouldn't do again - I don't believe the menu varies for this particular meal.  I haven't tried the Chef's Table but that's on my list🙂

We did the Taste of Royal on Navigator.  We were greeted with an included delicious Aperol Spritz.  We tried the tuna tartare but..... 😏 We hadn't known you could let them know you couldn't have or didn't want that-the table next to us had a yummy substitution although right now I can't remember what it was...so yes just make your request a day or 2 ahead of your reservation.

We booked the Taste of Royal lunch but it's not until January 2024 on Harmony. DH was especially leery of the tuna tartare; however, I'm thinking just take a bite or two and if you really don't like it, eat a roll and hold on for the little steak and shrimp that are coming up. 😁 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kellie in Texas said:

We booked the Taste of Royal lunch but it's not until January 2024 on Harmony. DH was especially leery of the tuna tartare; however, I'm thinking just take a bite or two and if you really don't like it, eat a roll and hold on for the little steak and shrimp that are coming up. 😁 

That's my plan. Try it and if I dont like it fill up and the steak and shrimp entree. I'm not that big of a eater. 

Done right tuna tartare is delicious.  Or so thinks this sushi lover!  But it's not just a chunk of raw " "Charlie Tuna" slapped on a plate.  There's seasonings and oil  mixed in.

Taste of Royal on the Odyssey was in Wonderland.  Wine pairing was a good selection of wines in proper wine glasses so don't expect a big wide mouth red wine glass to be filled to the brim.  But the our is typical of the pour a land restaurant sommelier would pour in your glass.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, F19810 said:

I'm thinking of doing the Taste of Royal lunch on my up coming cruise on the Explorer.  The first course is tuna tartar.  I do not eat raw fish, would I get something else?  Also, is the wine pairing full glasses of wine or half glasses since it is a pairing?

Judy

The wine pairing is extra as some have said and they are not generous pours but depending on the ship and the wine sommelier, you can certainly ask for more and will be accommodated. The same goes with the food substitutions -- I've witnessed many requests for variations of the menu which have all been granted. 

Thanks for the replies.  I knew that the wine pairing was extra and I may do it.  I don't usually drink wine but having wine that is specifically paired with the course might get me to enjoy wine more.  I'll ask about getting something besides the tuna tartar but if I can't, no big deal, there is enough food.

Judy