No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

On 5/11/2023 at 6:23 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Perhaps some clever person onboard the ship could ask someone in charge what the relevant rule/regulation/restriction is, because the reality is, all of us on Cruise Critic can conjecture until the cows come home, but none of us (including me) can know 100% what the reason is, because we're not there.

I asked for this information (currently on The Star) and was told they didn’t have this information. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 9:59 PM, twoznuff2 said:

Well something is not being comunicated correctly. This was my chat with NCL just now ( we have a Med cruise coming up so I am interested in this topic)

Megan (5/11/2023, 1:46:16 PM): Hello laurie. Thank you for chatting with Norwegian Cruise Line. My name is Megan. I would be happy to assist you today. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:46:23 PM): How may I assist you today, Laurie? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:47:23 PM): Hello, I have been reading some information on a cruise board that says NCL is not serving or selling alcohol in the UK ports and some Italy ports. Is this correct? 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:48:28 PM): One moment while I find out for sure. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:14 PM): That is incorrect we serve alcohol in all ports of call. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:30 PM): I just wanted to double check that nothing had changed, and I did confirm this. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:50:37 PM): Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:52:07 PM): huh.. someone posted a picture of a sign that said due to southhampton laws they could not serve or sell alcohol. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:52:25 PM): I completely understand but I did confirm that there are currently no port limitations on where we can serve alcohol. 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:52:40 PM): Thank you. 
Megan (5/11/2023, 1:52:46 PM): You're welcome.  Is there anything else I can assist you with today? 
laurie (5/11/2023, 1:53:01 PM): all is good thanks 

Attached my conversation with NCL when asking who I can escalate to? No one apparently. I’m on this sailing so have experience this mess 

IMG_7361.jpeg

IMG_7360.jpeg

On 5/12/2023 at 3:02 PM, ziggyuk said:

So, I hosted the M&M today, the official line on board is that there is a fee to pay to the port authority and Southampton only gave them 2 days notice which was not enough time to make payment.

We were further informed it only affects Southampton and Dover (not on our itinerary).

Make of that what you will but that is the official line onboard ship.

With the above in mind, there "should" be no issue on the next, May 21st cruise as 12 days should be more than enough time to make payment for the next cruise.

We are not anticipating issues in Belfast dispute yesterday being told it was a UK wide issue.

NCL knew on 4th May when The Dawn left Southampton, so if it’s paperwork, they had more than enough time. Plus we were denied drinks until after midnight when we were in Belfast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Myfanwy60 said:

Attached my conversation with NCL when asking who I can escalate to? No one apparently. I’m on this sailing so have experience this mess 

IMG_7361.jpeg

IMG_7360.jpeg

Dont bother with an email. NCL have their statement and they are not willing to discuss it any further. I asked questions about the statement I had emailed to me and was told they can't comment further. When I asked for the department who could deal with my query I was told they couldn't pass me to anyone who cold answer my questions and they were closing my case.

Talk about stonewalling!! NCL'S customer service really needs to be stepped up.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2023 at 9:07 AM, Krydstosser said:

I wrote to the Vice President yesterday but got no answer!

I am still shocked by this self-inflicted Non-alcohol policy in many ports, they are advertising in mails (today) with "Free at Sea" but they do not deliver! This is very close to be fraudulently behavior.

We must tell EVERYONE about this so they not will get Scammed by the NCL offer "Free at Sea" 

I wrote to Emma, she answered me but I don't think she will bring the issue on her youtube film.  I wrote to Don Terris (YouTuber) He is away I think due to medical issues so I don't think he can bring it to Youtube. La Lida Loca has no e-mail on his site. 

I loved NCL but my love for them is close to be dead! 

#alcoholfreeatsea

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Myfanwy60 said:

NCL knew on 4th May when The Dawn left Southampton, so if it’s paperwork, they had more than enough time. Plus we were denied drinks until after midnight when we were in Belfast.

Agreed, I was unaware when I started this thread the Dawn also had this issue, this blows NCLs 2 day excuse out of the water.

I have tried to keep things factual from the ship without being bated by a certain poster, this is the reason I have not posted much but I have read every post.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I really would not waste time asking low-level customer service agents about this issue. Anyone following this thread now knows more than 99% of the people at NCL. And the other 1% are not talking. 

It’s already surprising enough that someone at the dinner with officers admitted that NCL “bungled” (then again we only have a second-hand account, we don’t know what words were actually used) but don’t expect them to put that in writing for you in an e-mail. 

You may have better luck writing to customer relations after your cruise is over. During the cruise, I think the best you can do is try to squeeze value from the package when you can. 

Edited by hawkeyetlse
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Myfanwy60 said:

I asked for this information (currently on The Star) and was told they didn’t have this information. 

Gosh. If only they had a Head Office somewhere, that might be able to give them that information...🤔

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

I really would not waste time asking low-level customer service agents about this issue. Anyone following this thread now knows more than 99% of the people at NCL. And the other 1% are not talking. 

It’s already surprising enough that someone at the dinner with officers admitted that NCL “bungled” (then again we only have a second account) but don’t expect them to put that in writing for you in an e-mail. 

You may have better luck writing to customer relations after your cruise is over. During the cruise, I think the best you can do is try to squeeze value from the package when you can. 

Pretty convinced the reason this is taking time is it is not just an admin error it was a policy that has backfired.

People on the ship are getting fobbed off every way they turn on ship and shore side.

There were 2 dinner with officers the one we went to there was no open(full table) discussion.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

Dont bother with an email. NCL have their statement and they are not willing to discuss it any further. I asked questions about the statement I had emailed to me and was told they can't comment further. When I asked for the department who could deal with my query I was told they couldn't pass me to anyone who cold answer my questions and they were closing my case.

Talk about stonewalling!! NCL'S customer service really needs to be stepped up.

I wouldn't blame standard customer service agents at this stage - they have clearly been told from "on high" not to say another word.  The big question is whether NCL are desperately trying to fix the issue behind the scenes, or whether they are just hoping this will blow over.  I don't think it will, and they'll have to address it, or the issue will likely become more viral in terms of Youtube blogs etc. giving them a bad name.  

14 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Gosh. If only they had a Head Office somewhere, that might be able to give them that information...🤔

Like the UK head office maybe, in Southampton, just over a mile from the port. Perhaps they could send someone down from UK "customer services" based there to meet the passenger disembarking. Wouldn't hold my breath.

• Like 2

I wonder if they are teaching different lessons on PR Management courses these days.

It used to be the case that, if your company generated bad PR, you could limit damage and try to turn it into a plus by holding your hands up, explaining and putting things right... then using your prompt, customer-focused action to prove what a great company you were! Is treating your customers like idiots really in the textbook?!

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.84be80d33630978bb94edba946721b13.pngcurrently on Epic out of Spain - back to a previous discussion on here about mischarging the tax when on a package. NCL really don’t seem to be doing themselves any favours with all these dodgy rules in different ports 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greener123 said:

image.thumb.png.84be80d33630978bb94edba946721b13.pngcurrently on Epic out of Spain - back to a previous discussion on here about mischarging the tax when on a package. NCL really don’t seem to be doing themselves any favours with all these dodgy rules in different ports 

They automatically assume you are kindly understanding !

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

I was on Norwegian Star last year. In three Spanish ports (and all the sailing time in between) NCL charged VAT on every transaction. I was well aware that Spanish VAT is charged in Spanish waters but I did query this this at Guest Services because I couldn't understand why it was being charged on a pre-paid Free at Sea fare addition and I still believe they were wrong. The lady at the desk said: "Well it's not going to be a lot of extra money, unless you are a very heavy drinker." 🤑

I had sailed just a few weeks earlier to Spanish ports with Celebrity and yes, Spanish VAT was charged on the ship, but not on any drinks at all, as everyone had the 'Always Included' fare that Celebrity used at that time, so every passenger had a drinks package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I go back to my original statement. Deduct from DSC and tell them why. If getting charged for a service your not getting,all included, then get your money back another way. Let crew take it up with bar staff . It may not be so nice but neither is NCL taking my money and not providing for paid services. I am paying for a vacation not a charity for corporate 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Oohh. Ooh. I can offer my opinion. Let's assume this was an administrative bungle as you describe. Totally honest mistake. I would have added a sentence or two at the bottom of their signs that said something like....We deeply regret that this happened and are taking steps to correct this. Since you paid  service charges for bar service that is not being provided, we have already refunded the service charges in the amount of $21.80 that we collected for today. ( Or maybe 50%, we can all input the number). This will reflect as a REFUNDABLE onboard credit on your shipboard account. To our premium plus passengers, we are refunding the daily upgrade fee ( or portion of) plus your service charge. 

What I would not have done is responded to inquiries with confusing language and half truths about how port regulations are preventing them from opening the bars. That response makes it sounds like no one could ever serve alcohol in a UK port. And we all know that simply isn't true. They still haven't said if they are working to fix this. Instead, the article above says no comment from NCL. So, is it really and administrative bungle or could it be intentional? Who knows?

So, again I would ask, if this was an administrative bungle, why do you think they've acted the way they have to date? And I will put the question back to you because I am curious, if you were NCL and made an administrative bungle, how would you have handled it? 

I can't answer your last question honestly because you've predicated the question on things you haven't demonstrated to be true, so, respectfully, I refuse to answer. Saying something like "...and we all know that simply isn't true" for instance. You don't know that, you only assume it. You also assert that they've responded with half truths. Where's your proof of that? I haven't seen it. My only general comments would be this: 1. NCL seems to be handling this the best it can based on what I know (i.e. that they were given insufficient time to make a required payment to the relevant authorities, which caused the temporary suspension of some alcohol offerings). 2. They are thus far refusing to admit blame because they know that doing that opens them up to legal action (first rule: never admit fault). 3. They aren't making a full statement on this yet, possibly because they're hoping the problem remains contained and doesn't escalate.

Of course, since I neither work for NCL nor do I care what ultimately happens (since I'm not cruising with them for another 6 months and not even to the UK), I have no "skin in the game." I'm just a curious bystander. Only time will tell whether this gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just to be clear, the story regarding being given insufficient time to make a required payment is something that was told to

a passenger and, in the opinion of many, doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

If someone chooses to believe it then that is their choice, but it is very much pushing it to say that it is something that we know.

Especially when you consider the fact that others have repeatedly had their opinions questioned for lack of evidence.

Apologies to the moderators of my previous way of responding fell foul of forum rules.

• Like 2

The only factual pieces of information we have are the signs posted on the ship blaming “port regulations”, the statement from NCL saying they don’t know what port regulations will or won’t be applied at any given port until they arrive (yeh right). The statement from NCLs Southampton port agent. 

Anything else has either come from independent research or hearsay from an officer - can’t be taken as an official statement.

so 2 weeks on from the first issues being reported in the Dawn, we’re no closer to figuring out what the situation is going forward, or what the reasons for the issues experienced so far 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

So my NCL cruise consultant got back to me after he chased the issue as NCL were being rather vague, this is the reply he has gotten after a few days. Seems like it should all be sorted now.

Screenshot_20230518_144810.jpg

Well that certainly seems like good news!

40 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I can't answer your last question honestly because you've predicated the question on things you haven't demonstrated to be true, so, respectfully, I refuse to answer. Saying something like "...and we all know that simply isn't true" for instance. You don't know that, you only assume it. You also assert that they've responded with half truths. Where's your proof of that? I haven't seen it. My only general comments would be this: 1. NCL seems to be handling this the best it can based on what I know (i.e. that they were given insufficient time to make a required payment to the relevant authorities, which caused the temporary suspension of some alcohol offerings). 2. They are thus far refusing to admit blame because they know that doing that opens them up to legal action (first rule: never admit fault). 3. They aren't making a full statement on this yet, possibly because they're hoping the problem remains contained and doesn't escalate.

Of course, since I neither work for NCL nor do I care what ultimately happens (since I'm not cruising with them for another 6 months and not even to the UK), I have no "skin in the game." I'm just a curious bystander. Only time will tell whether this gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction or not.

Thanks for sharing. Now at least we know where you stand. You think port authorities in multiple countries gave NCL insufficient time to pay to open the bar. OK. Fair. I don't believe that, but hey, I could be wrong.

I find irony in the notion that you mentioned I had no proof of anything in my post and proceed to make an unsubstantiated claim of insufficient time when there is no information I have seen to support this. However, I don't expect proof or support. This isn't a court of law. It's a cruise message board. I present information based on what I read and how my brain processes it, so I am not going to ask you for any proof of this.

Your theory may be true, and I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer admittedly. However, I would think NCL would have been given as much notice as any other cruise line and no other lines seem to have been impacted. Maybe there is a multiple country conspiracy against NCL.

P&O bars are and have been wide open. I shared a post over on the P&O Boards with you and asked if you read it and if you believe that to be true, but you didn't respond. Maybe the P&O Board members have a conspiracy against NCL too.

Lastly, as a cruise operator, providing cruises worldwide NCL knew or should have known about the rules and requirements to fully operate their cruises in the destinations to which they sail.

My prediction is that this will continue to draw criticism and undue attention to NCL. If past behavior is any predictor of future results, NCL will eventually get the bars open in the UK and other ports.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well that certainly seems like good news!

Hopefully this is the most up to date information as even today people are still being told different things🙄.

He also rang me to confirm that this statement had come through and when asked if this would continue to be the case at future uk ports he said yes.

• Like 1