Lower Sodium Diet

Asking for a friend, but I'm interested in this for myself as well because I really don't like the amount of sodium in cruise food, or eating out in general. She filled out the special needs form and the reply said to check in with the dining room captain after boarding. This addresses the MDR, but is there anything to be done at Windjammer? I know they have a gluten free section, but I don't think I've noticed any dishes labeled lower sodium. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? It's a medical need. Is it possible to special order something there to be cooked without added salt? Do you let them know the day before and say you will be there at a certain time?

19 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Asking for a friend, but I'm interested in this for myself as well because I really don't like the amount of sodium in cruise food, or eating out in general. She filled out the special needs form and the reply said to check in with the dining room captain after boarding. This addresses the MDR, but is there anything to be done at Windjammer? I know they have a gluten free section, but I don't think I've noticed any dishes labeled lower sodium. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? It's a medical need. Is it possible to special order something there to be cooked without added salt? Do you let them know the day before and say you will be there at a certain time?

She completed the first step by filling out the RCCL special needs form. Next steps are talking to the managers of the MDR and the WJ as to your special needs; I have heard that they can and will offer to cook low-sodium food for you if it's not readily available in the buffet. If dining in any specialty restaurants, your food will be prepared and cooked how you like it. If you are a Diamond or above member with RCCL, and/or you are in a "suite" for your cruise, your Diamond and/or Suite concierge can certainly take care of all of this for you! Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Happy cruising!

• Like 2

FWIW, WJ does make food to order when they can meet your request. My young niece has severe tree nut and sesame allergies. She doesn't eat many things (due to being a picky little kid, lol) but loves hot dogs. The WJ has made her hot dogs in the back to avoid any possible cross-contamination from the ones out in the buffet.

Now can they cook something without added I salt? No idea. Perhaps one option would be the cook to order station many windjammers have. There is often a pasta or wok station were you select your ingredients (noodles, protein, veggies, sauce, etc.) The veggies are clearly raw but perhaps avoiding certain sauces would meet your friend's needs?

Just throwing something out there. I'm neither a chef nor a nutritionist so maybe this isn't helpful at all.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I am supposed to be on a low sodium diet .Eating out is nearly impossible for me.Eating on a cruise presents problems.I was told on my last cruise to speak to a Head Waiter and have her or him go with me to speak to the head Chef which I did. I had to do the latest dinner seating and after finishing I ordered my food for the following day..

• Like 1