New to RCL - Alaska with 5 year old

Grandma traveling with a 5 year old who will only drink milk. Is it widely available on-board? Do all cabins have mini-fridges? We’ll be in a basic balcony or perhaps an extended balcony cabin.  I have no plans to even attempt eating in the MDR. Any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, techteach said:

Grandma traveling with a 5 year old who will only drink milk. Is it widely available on-board? Do all cabins have mini-fridges? We’ll be in a basic balcony or perhaps an extended balcony cabin.  I have no plans to even attempt eating in the MDR. Any suggestions?

Just stock up your fridge each morning from the buffet with milk cartons, not a problem.

• Like 2

We stock up on the milk cartons and put them in our fridge.. They aren't very cold though so we ask for an ice bucket from the room steward and always keep one on ice 😀.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, techteach said:

I realize I said I wouldn’t think about going to the MDR with him, but I’m wondering if they have a children’s menu? Remember, french fries, milk, ice cream, chocolate…

Yes they have a children's menu, my wife orders the Hot Fudge Sunday for herself in MDR for desert.  A five year old would have no problem in the MDR, don't stress. Plus cold milk available 24 hours in the Cafe.

• Like 2

On Mariner now. For lunch and dinner a “kid” friendly section is available in the windjammer. Chicken tenders, French fries, Mac and cheese, hot dogs.

Many adults are also enjoying those items. You’ll have plenty of options.

• Like 1

When our son was young, he would only drink milk on a ship along with other dairy like yogurt. Wouldn't eat anything else (as hard as we tried, and as hard as the crew tried).

But we still ate in the MDR and it wasn't a big deal. I wouldn't let your son's penchant for milk stop you from at least trying the MDR.

Edited by smokeybandit

RC used to have a kids dinner program where the kids would eat one course, and then be taken directly to the kids club by the kids club staff while the parents could enjoy another course.  Hopefully at some point it will be restored because that sounds like heaven.  Another alternative is either bringing electronics or walking around with your child in between courses.  You can also ask that they bring the kids food first.  RC was amazing about bringing all the food quickly, and they also boxed up food for my husband to bring to me when my kids got restless and I took them back to the room or kids club.  

Alaska is amazing for kids.  Private tours are ideal, especially since it saves a bit of money.  Your child is too young for the Bering sea crab tour, but would love to visit a dogsled camp.  

• Like 1

Our paperwork says we have 7:30 dining. Yikes! I hope I can get it changed. I will take his ipad, but I have to get him to wear headphones. @kitkat343 thanks for your reminder to have his food brought first. Last year on Celebrity with the 10 year old GS they brought a small plate of carrots, etc as soon as we sat down. This will be my 4th time in Alaska, so I’ve got the tour planning all in hand. Thanks again for your post.

• Like 1

Early dining usually fills first, so get one the waitlist.  Also I don’t know about now, but last august my time dining on the adventure was a mess with long lines, so go to the maitre d as soon as you board and switch dining just in case it’s still a mess and anytime people all try to switch to fixed ( the problems with anytime might be fixed - I haven’t been monitoring the rc boards and sailed nearly a year ago now ).  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

OP, I see you are in Seattle, I am in Alaska, by the bristol bay and Aleutian islands. Please report back on your experiences as I would love to take my 6 year old on an Alaskan cruise.  Living here, I just don't see it worth while for those under 10, so I would love your feedback.  Please and thanks.