Gathering of Veterans

Eaglecw

It’s been sometime since we last cruised on HAL. Does HAL have a “Gathering of Veterans” at some time during the cruise like they do on Princess? It’s a nice gesture for the cruise line to honor the veterans and for veterans to swap a few stories etc.  

I saw a gathering of veterans on the schedule during my Koningsdam Alaska cruise last week. I'm a veteran, but I'll be honest. The last thing I wanted to do was hang out with a bunch of cranky, crusty, military veterans. So yeah. I didn't go.   😀 

Edited by Colorado Klutch
  • Haha 1

The Westerdam had a veteran's gathering a few times at 4:30.  I would enjoy meeting people who may have similar experiences to mine.  However, we had fixed dining at 5:15 and 4:30 is the time we take a shower and get ready for dinner.  I had hoped it might be scheduled at a different time, but it was always 4:30.  I did meet some veterans on board and they were very pleasant to talk with.

Ray

I thought about checking it out on the NS at Thanksgiving but I didn't go.  It was in the Ocean Bar.  Anyway, we decided to have a drink there about an hour after the meetup and you can tell some of them were still there because of all the disability ratings stories and the embellished accomplishments of their contribution to the world from those whose best days are in the past.  No disrespect, but the military is a microcosm of our society, and almost all of them were Gen X (my age group) and Millennials, and I don't really talk about my service at home and don't really want to talk about it on vacation.  Now, have a ceremony for Vietnam and Korean War vets (are there any WWII vets that still sail?), I'll be the first one there to honor them.  

• Like 1

My husband is a Vietnam veteran (helicopter pilot for over 20 years, then on to Boeing Apache program for another 13) 

His perspective is somewhat like @PACD_JG He will enjoy a friendly chat if someone we are sitting near talks about service related things. But generally he does not engage in the military get togethers on board. 

We were on Rotterdam for 45 days Dec/Jan and Koningsdam for 35 days Feb/Mar and several invites per week for the get togethers. 

We have seen the veteran get togethers listed on Navigator  app or in the program.  My husband is Viet Nam vet, but never attends.  Like others have said, he doesn't really talk about his time over there.  He does, however, thank any helicopter pilots he meets because of his experience he had getting home.  The pilot was told not to fly, but he told the guys "I am getting you guys home,"  disobeying orders.  So he truly appreciates the fact that he got to come home when he did.

I usually attend the veteran get-togethers when I can. Some have been rather boring but some have been loads of fun. I enjoy hearing the stories from the older vets but it seems like the younger ones don’t talk much about their service. My time in service spanned a couple of generations since I had a long break in service at one point. I joined a few years after the Vietnam War ended and retired in 2014. 

My experience is the gatherings tend to attract around 20-25 people including some spouses too (who are always welcome).  The ages range from 90s down to 20s but it seems just about everyone gets something good out of the meet-up...even if it's just a free drink.  The ones I have attended were predominantly comprised of Vietnam vets and newer but that was fine with me.

I really enjoy the multi-generation chatter comparing experiences from the 40s all the way up to current day military.  I think it really helps people understand what experiences the other generations went through or are going through right now.  Sometimes, people don't want to talk about their military experiences when at home but are willing to open up to other military members that they've never met before.  That may not be the intent of these meet-ups but it certainly can be a benefit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFNavigator said:

My experience is the gatherings tend to attract around 20-25 people including some spouses too (who are always welcome).  The ages range from 90s down to 20s but it seems just about everyone gets something good out of the meet-up...even if it's just a free drink.  The ones I have attended were predominantly comprised of Vietnam vets and newer but that was fine with me.

I really enjoy the multi-generation chatter comparing experiences from the 40s all the way up to current day military.  I think it really helps people understand what experiences the other generations went through or are going through right now.  Sometimes, people don't want to talk about their military experiences when at home but are willing to open up to other military members that they've never met before.  That may not be the intent of these meet-ups but it certainly can be a benefit.

I agree that the meets are useful and I regret that I couldn't fit them into my schedule on our recent cruise.  I once met a retired Marine Corps officer there who showed me how to request a copy of my military service records from the National Personnel Records Center in St Louis, MO.  A few years later, when I was diagnosed with leukemia, they were helpful showing when and where I was on the ground in Vietnam so I could prove my exposure to Agent Orange.  Although it has never happened, I hope to someday meet an old shipmate on one of these get togethers.

Ray

• Thanks 1