When have you booked air for upcoming cruise

PSahoy

On 5/18/2023 at 9:16 AM, PSahoy said:

For flights next March/early April I'm now thinking of grabbing this lower fare based on your replies: the itinerary is LAX-HND(Tokyo) return HKG(Hong Kong)-LAX. ANA biz fare is $3773 vs United, Delta, American/JAL in the $4500-$7K level. ANA has a good rep but never flown them. On return I can take either a flight that has 1.5 hr layover at HND or 4 hour. Is 1.5 hour enough for luggage to be transferred (intra-airline flights)? My original dilemma of purchasing now vs waiting for better fare is I think answered given the discrepancy in fares.

ANA will be superior to either UA or DL.

Take the 4 hour connect and enjoy the lounge in Tokyo.  Do not be rushing "just to get home" - enjoy the process that business class gives you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

ANA will be superior to either UA or DL.

Take the 4 hour connect and enjoy the lounge in Tokyo.  Do not be rushing "just to get home" - enjoy the process that business class gives you.

Of course, those folks chasing “1 million miler” status on United need to remember that only miles on UA hardware count. So, even UA code share flights on ANA hardware come with a slight concern for those folks “oh so close” to completing their “million miler” quest.

And I’m glad you recommended that 4 hour layover (with bizclass lounge access). We’ve been finding that, with so many intercontinental flight delays lately, even 3 hour layovers can be “nail biters.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Of course, those folks chasing “1 million miler” status on United need to remember that only miles on UA hardware count. So, even UA code share flights on ANA hardware come with a slight concern for those folks “oh so close” to completing their “million miler” quest.

+1

My husband just achieved million mile status on United and we made sure to fly United whenever possible. Flying on the partner airlines gets you nothing toward status. 

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And I’m glad you recommended that 4 hour layover (with bizclass lounge access). We’ve been finding that, with so many intercontinental flight delays lately, even 3 hour layovers can be “nail biters.”

I'll take this opportunity to thank you for recommending itamatrix. Even with it, I had a heck of a time finding flights with decent layovers (a little over an hour in FRA or LHR, really?!?). Recently I was able to get flights with 3.5 hours in both connecting cities even though it cost a little extra. I like that time to brush my teeth and clean up, maybe change clothes, and have a bite to eat or get an espresso drink.

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I'll take this opportunity to thank you for recommending itamatrix. Even with it, I had a heck of a time finding flights with decent layovers (a little over an hour in FRA or LHR, really?!?). Recently I was able to get flights with 3.5 hours in both connecting cities even though it cost a little extra. I like that time to brush my teeth and clean up, maybe change clothes, and have a bite to eat or get an espresso drink.

FRA in the summer?

Good news- great bizclass fares on UA for connections there going from US West Coast to elsewhere in Europe.

Bad news- unending huge crowds with 3 hour layover being the absolute minimum one should do (we do 4 hrs minimum there).

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FRA in the summer?

Good news- great bizclass fares on UA for connections there going from US West Coast to elsewhere in Europe.

Bad news- unending huge crowds with 3 hour layover being the absolute minimum one should do (we do 4 hrs minimum there).

No, Poland and Berlin in Oct/Nov for fun then business. This is planning way farther in advance than usual. Immediately after I bought my tix, the same route was 4 or 500 more...guess I cleared out that class (we're still at Premium Econ for business trips...for fun we'll take the QM2 eastbound and skip jet lag, just wish they still had 5-day crossings). Again, thanks for the itamatrix ref...very helpful for routes I don't normally book.

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Um, this is a bit worrisome. Where were these 3-hour "nail biters?"  We have a 3 hour layover in Amsterdam. But we're transferring from KLM trans-Atlantic to KLM City Hopper, which I HOPE will not involve a huge trek through the airport.

19 minutes ago, avalong said:

Um, this is a bit worrisome. Where were these 3-hour "nail biters?"  We have a 3 hour layover in Amsterdam. But we're transferring from KLM trans-Atlantic to KLM City Hopper, which I HOPE will not involve a huge trek through the airport.

you will have plenty of time  to grab a bite to eat  & shop if you choose 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, avalong said:

See Post 31 (3 posts ago): FRA can be brutal in summer. Two trips ago (connecting from UA to Lufthansa on the way to BCN), just the line to get to the line for passport clearance (on another floor) was over a 1 hour wait. Add to that a late start from SFO (an hour delay) and we barely had time to hit the head and grab a drink at the Star Alliance bizclass lounge. We got to the Lufthansa gate just as loading began. That was the end of 3 hrs minimum for intercontinental connections for us. It is now 4 hrs for anything transoceanic in either direction from SFO. 

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

See Post 31 (3 posts ago): FRA can be brutal in summer. Two trips ago (connecting from UA to Lufthansa on the way to BCN), just the line to get to the line for passport clearance (on another floor) was over a 1 hour wait. Add to that a late start from SFO (an hour delay) and we barely had time to hit the head and grab a drink at the Star Alliance bizclass lounge. We got to the Lufthansa gate just as loading began. That was the end of 3 hrs minimum for intercontinental connections for us. It is now 4 hrs for anything transoceanic in either direction from SFO. 

Thanks. I was hoping that you were referring mostly to FRA. Sounds like you were. Duly noted tho.

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

you will have plenty of time  to grab a bite to eat  & shop if you choose 😉

Gee, flown intercontinentally much in the last three years?

Sorry but, you can’t make a wholesale statement like that- given the continuing uncertainty of air travel- particularly as regards high traffic locations like Amsterdam. There’s a reason why short layover flights are considerable less expensive. 
Hopefully, your “wink” emoji was stating the humor associated with your “plenty of time” statement. 
Maybe Flyer Talker will weigh in here. I know that, when I’ve mentioned the minimum three hour layover on other threads regarding intercontinental/transoceanic flights, he’s often hit the “like” button.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avalong said:

You can check the AMS connections 

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/transfers/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, avalong said:

We went through the Amsterdam airport about a month ago. Very stressful experience. Had a 3 hour layover. Very large and very confusing airport, at least for us. Much walking involved. The "passport control" lines were long but moved quickly. Make sure you get in the correct line, which was not obvious to us. Had to ask fellow passengers as no assistance available.

We were told our luggage was checked to our final destination by KLM in Venice. By chance we found out in Amsterdam that we had to retrieve our luggage from the merry go round and walk it about 100 feet and place it on another conveyor belt. Otherwise it would not leave the airport and arrive in Houston on a KLM flight. Not sure if this would apply to you......but.

I would highly recommend doing as much research as possible on this airport before arrival. Would be greatly beneficial. Ended up we had enough time but at first we were wondering if we would make it or not. Was stressful. 

The KLM lounge in the International terminal was nice with better than average food and wine, at least when we were there. Did not have much time to enjoy it but worth stopping by.

27 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

We went through the Amsterdam airport about a month ago. Very stressful experience. Had a 3 hour layover. Very large and very confusing airport, at least for us. Much walking involved. The "passport control" lines were long but moved quickly. Make sure you get in the correct line, which was not obvious to us. Had to ask fellow passengers as no assistance available.

We were told our luggage was checked to our final destination by KLM in Venice. By chance we found out in Amsterdam that we had to retrieve our luggage from the merry go round and walk it about 100 feet and place it on another conveyor belt. Otherwise it would not leave the airport and arrive in Houston on a KLM flight. Not sure if this would apply to you......but.

I would highly recommend doing as much research as possible on this airport before arrival. Would be greatly beneficial. Ended up we had enough time but at first we were wondering if we would make it or not. Was stressful. 

The KLM lounge in the International terminal was nice with better than average food and wine, at least when we were there. Did not have much time to enjoy it but worth stopping by.

Thanks so much. You've all prompted me to do further research. There's a good video by KLM on YouTube explaining the layout of the airport, and the link given by LHT28 allows you to get info specific to your flights. I can't really change anything at this point, but at least I'll know what to expect. I've been through this airport in the before-times and I remember walking a LOT. Fingers crossed for this trip.

15 hours ago, avalong said:

Thanks. I was hoping that you were referring mostly to FRA. Sounds like you were. Duly noted tho.

FRA is only one example. LHR is notorious for “issues” as are many other large connection hubs. And, of course, potential delays at any originating airport remains a major factor in determining reasonable layover times.

• Like 1

Just today bought tickets to Tokyo for next March/April cruise on UA. I was able to get Saver BC miles. AA still wants 950K miles for the BC trip. Was able to get one stop connections each way with reasonable connection times. Now we’ll wait and watch for the multiple schedule changes! 🙄

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Now we’ll wait and watch for the multiple schedule changes! 🙄

Made me laugh...it only took about a week and a half after a recent booking for my outgoing route to Europe to be demolished (as in it doesn't exist anymore...not just time changes) and replaced with a new route. The new route was my second choice, so it's OK...for now... 🫠

9 hours ago, PSahoy said:

We might be on same cruise Pinot. I don’t have UA miles but after good advice on this thread booked ANA to Tokyo home from Hong Kong on comparative good deal thru Amex

A word of advice, we flew ANA last year AMS FRA TYO SYD and SYD TYO FRA AMS so we do have some experience with them, perfect flights. Outward journey we both booked the middle seat and on our plane you had the table in the middle (for one) and on your right of left towards the aisle.

Having the table between you and the aisle makes getting in or out difficult and harder to get a nice sleeping position between the two tables.

We changed the seats for our return to an aisle with the table in the middle (still giving privacy to neighbor) and a window seat with a table next to the window. Made a lot of difference and really glad we did this. In retrospect we realized why so many aisle plus windows had been booked instead of two in the middle.

I obviously don’t know your plane type but if you look at your seatplan and you have the same you will know what I mean. Have a great journey it is a fantastic country and will be a great cruise, we are going Tokyo-Singapore in October.

Rosalyn