Name Change On 3rd Party Specialty Cruise - Holland America

jcannon3

My brother has booked and fully paid for a Specialty Cruise (in a Suite) through a 3rd party promoter for a Holland America cruise. 

Two things I have questions about.  He has advanced Parkinson's Disease and is unable to take the cruise which is in 170 days.  Can he change his name on the cruise to someone else?  If not, what is required to claim reimbursement from the travel insurance co?  Since he is unable to go on the cruise, he would like to gift the cruise to a family member. 

Second, when he booked/paid for the trip for two people, he didn't give provide a name for the second passenger.  Now they are telling him he will have to pay a name change fee for adding a name to the second passenger.  They didn't "require" a name for the second passenger at the time of the original booking but now call it a "name change".  Any thoughts on this?

Any help based on your knowledge or experience would be greatly appreciated.

You are outside of final payment, so he should be to cancel without penalty. Unless the booking agent is causing problems. I don't think the insurance company would be involved, unless there is something here we don't know about. On this front, is it cancel for any reason insurance?

As to changing names, I believe the rule is the primary on the booking can't be changed. Curious why the second person wasn't named at time of booking?

Bruce, he's recently widowed (1 1/2yrs) and he wanted to take someone but didn't know who.  Just a quirk my younger brother has.  FYI, it was a $9K cost.  Curious, what do you think happens if he pays for a name change for the vacant second passenger, they show and he doesn't?

Wonder what the logic is that the primary can't be changed (still 170+ days out)?  Seems like one of many cruise industry "money grabs".  We can cancel/change for anything (and issue you a credit, no refund) but you can't cancel/change for any reason and we get to keep your money!!

Wonder what the cruise industry would be like if they had to disclose the total cost of the cruise experience, including all fees, taxes, gratuities, etc in their advertising and at the time of booking, prior to committing.  That would be interesting.

You would need to deal with the 3rd party booking  agency & their terms for cancellation

If he had Parkinson's before he booked  the insurance may not cover  any cancellation penalties

Read the  Terms & conditions   of the company he booked the cruise through

also the  insurance  policy

JMO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcannon3 said:

Bruce, he's recently widowed (1 1/2yrs) and he wanted to take someone but didn't know who.  Just a quirk my younger brother has.  FYI, it was a $9K cost.  Curious, what do you think happens if he pays for a name change for the vacant second passenger, they show and he doesn't?

Wonder what the logic is that the primary can't be changed (still 170+ days out)?  Seems like one of many cruise industry "money grabs".  We can cancel/change for anything (and issue you a credit, no refund) but you can't cancel/change for any reason and we get to keep your money!!

Wonder what the cruise industry would be like if they had to disclose the total cost of the cruise experience, including all fees, taxes, gratuities, etc in their advertising and at the time of booking, prior to committing.  That would be interesting.

I've never booked a cruise without knowing all the details of the total cost.  Who would do that?  And he's already made the final payment?  Your brother may be getting jived by the 'promoter'. 

If he contracted the Parkinson's before he booked the cruise, he will probably be out of luck filing an insurance claim.  Someone needs to read that policy, I hope he didn't buy it from the promoter.  It makes logical sense to add that 2nd person now, then your brother just doesn't show up for the cruise because he's too ill to travel.  But logic is often not what governs cruiselines.  He must deal through the promoter to make whatever changes he wishes.  I have absolutely no faith in third-party booking services, regardless of what they call themselves.  This is a real shame.

Edited by jsn55
clarity

15 hours ago, jcannon3 said:

The contracts say that one of the original people on the booking must sail.  As long as one of those is still on the booking, the second person may be changed out.  If all of those booked are changed, that is essentially selling the cruise to someone else, which is not allowed.  EM

17 hours ago, jcannon3 said:

My brother has booked and fully paid for a Specialty Cruise (in a Suite) through a 3rd party promoter for a Holland America cruise. 

Two things I have questions about.  He has advanced Parkinson's Disease and is unable to take the cruise which is in 170 days.  Can he change his name on the cruise to someone else?  If not, what is required to claim reimbursement from the travel insurance co?  Since he is unable to go on the cruise, he would like to gift the cruise to a family member. 

Second, when he booked/paid for the trip for two people, he didn't give provide a name for the second passenger.  Now they are telling him he will have to pay a name change fee for adding a name to the second passenger.  They didn't "require" a name for the second passenger at the time of the original booking but now call it a "name change".  Any thoughts on this?

Any help based on your knowledge or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Having dealt with a few different full charters, their chartering companies, and their terms and conditions, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to deal with the 3rd party promoter to get the changes you want and need.  The charter companies have different conditions, but they tend to be stricter than the cruise lines.  I encourage you to read their Web site (if they have one) and see if you can find your answers there.  Then give them a call or e-mail - I'm assuming they have one or the other.

Good luck to you, and best wishes to your brother. 🙏

• Like 2