Nightmare traffic jam !!!! Ventura trip to Amsterdam

Tan210

Hey did anyone get caught up in the jam due to closure of m3 on Tuesday? 
they kept check in open a bit longer so we just made it , 2.5 hour journey took 8!!!!

I would imagine a lot of people didn’t make it 😞 

Yes we got caught up in the M3 problems on Tuesday. 1 hour journey took 4 hours. My 1st ever cruise too!

The captain delayed Ventura's departure until 1800 because of it, but I heard that around 100 people still didn't make it in time.

Aww I’m glad you had a good time yes we enjoyed it but having driven from Glasgow  the traffic jam was a pain!! Lovely weather yesterday ☀️. I would say it wouldn’t cover it but I really hope for the people who missed out  it does 💜 

That’s really interesting thank you. I really don’t want it to put me off again. We stayed a night in the Hilton park 6 travel lodge  the day before , so thought we had it all planned perfectly! I regularly drive from Glasgow to Cornwall and that’s a much easier and more straightforward journey 

• Like 2

A tip to anyone.  Any decent travel insurance SHOULD cover missed departure.  You do however have to prove it was beyond your control.  This can include print outs of AA, RAC or traffic management websites etc.  If your car has an electronic mileage or journey recorder this too can be photographed or downloaded as proof. Any newspaper reports mentioning the problems can also help.

It is also important to obtain something from the cruise line stating you missed the sailing due to late arrival and the fact the vessel was held but couldn't wait any longer needs noting by them.

You will need proof that under normal traffic conditions your journey time would be "X" - a journey planner print out from a reputable agency like the AA should suffice.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Tan210 said:

Aww I’m glad you had a good time yes we enjoyed it but having driven from Glasgow  the traffic jam was a pain!! Lovely weather yesterday ☀️. I would say it wouldn’t cover it but I really hope for the people who missed out  it does 💜 

We drive from Perthshire but I wouldn't try to do it on the day of the cruise.  Usually stay the night at Premier Inn in Didcot and have an hour to drive in the morning.  Close enough to take an alternative route in the event of traffic jams.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

A tip to anyone.  Any decent travel insurance SHOULD cover missed departure.  You do however have to prove it was beyond your control.  This can include print outs of AA, RAC or traffic management websites etc.  If your car has an electronic mileage or journey recorder this too can be photographed or downloaded as proof. Any newspaper reports mentioning the problems can also help.

It is also important to obtain something from the cruise line stating you missed the sailing due to late arrival and the fact the vessel was held but couldn't wait any longer needs noting by them.

You will need proof that under normal traffic conditions your journey time would be "X" - a journey planner print out from a reputable agency like the AA should suffice.  

Great advice thank you 😊 

1 hour ago, cruise saint said:

We drive from Perthshire but I wouldn't try to do it on the day of the cruise.  Usually stay the night at Premier Inn in Didcot and have an hour to drive in the morning.  Close enough to take an alternative route in the event of traffic jams.

Yeh we stayed in Birmingham the night before so thought we had planned it quite well, have you ever done a cruise that leaves from Scotland? 

48 minutes ago, Tan210 said:

Yeh we stayed in Birmingham the night before so thought we had planned it quite well, have you ever done a cruise that leaves from Scotland? 

No, we've only ever sailed P&O.  Driving to Didcot usually takes me about eight hours including a couple of 30-45 minute breaks. We usually leave at 6am the day before the cruise to get past Glasgow before the rush hour.  Stop at Gretna services for breakfast. This allows Manchester area rush hour to pass before we get there.  Second break at Stafford services and then take the toll road to avoid Birmingham. Usually get to Premier Inn about 1.30-2pm.

No, we've only ever sailed P&O.  Driving to Didcot usually takes me about eight hours including a couple of 30-45 minute breaks. We usually leave at 6am the day before the cruise to get past Glasgow before the rush hour.  Stop at Gretna services for breakfast. This allows Manchester area rush hour to pass before we get there.  Second break at Stafford services and then take the toll road to avoid Birmingham. Usually get to Premier Inn about 1.30-2pm.

Thank you that is really helpful. I enjoyed the cruise but long way to drive for four days. I regularly drive from Glasgow to Cornwall but that’s a much more straightforward journey with straight road all the way 🙂 

We do a similar drive from Fife except the last time there was an accident on the M6 and we were stuck there for 4 hours before they turned us round  and of course it was nose to tail for another couple of hours we eventually made it to the Premier Inn at 9.30 pm. When driving down in October have planned a 2 day non motorway drive after Manchester see how that works out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scots Couple said:

We do a similar drive from Fife except the last time there was an accident on the M6 and we were stuck there for 4 hours before they turned us round  and of course it was nose to tail for another couple of hours we eventually made it to the Premier Inn at 9.30 pm. When driving down in October have planned a 2 day non motorway drive after Manchester see how that works out.

That's the main reason for us travelling down the day before, unforeseen circumstances like accidents. Even on the morning of the cruise we tend to leave the Premier Inn at 7.30ish to avoid traffic. It means we're in Southampton very early,  but I'd rather that than get stuck in traffic around lunchtime. 

• Like 3

When I was younger I travelled by train and stayed in the Premier Inn West Quay the night before. As the railways are not reliable any more and I am getting older I have been using a private hire car direct to the terminal. However for my next few cruises I am reverting to travelling the day before and the hotel stay. Not by train though. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Well, I have just booked to stay in a hotel in Southampton before our October cruise.  Never bothered before, but hey, why have stress!

Good to hear have a wonderful

cruise 🚢 💜 

4 hours ago, cruise saint said:

That's the main reason for us travelling down the day before, unforeseen circumstances like accidents. Even on the morning of the cruise we tend to leave the Premier Inn at 7.30ish to avoid traffic. It means we're in Southampton very early,  but I'd rather that than get stuck in traffic around lunchtime. 

The accident happened a few minutes before we got to the scene we got through before the emergency services arrived. Those on the M3 behind us would have had to sit it out until the police put a diversion in place.

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We had such a bad journey in March due to roadworks and accidents on the motorways that we have decided to go by coach in the future to avoid the stress.

Unfortunately coaches would be stuck as well.

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The accident happened a few minutes before we got to the scene we got through before the emergency services arrived. Those on the M3 behind us would have had to sit it out until the police put a diversion in place.

I think we were in two jams , one on a34 then another one cos of the closure of the m3 

7 minutes ago, Tan210 said:

I think we were in two jams , one on a34 then another one cos of the closure of the m3 

We are fortunate that we have an alternative to the M3/M27. That's our plan for this summer for our trips to Dorset, or the New forest.

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are fortunate that we have an alternative to the M3/M27. That's our plan for this summer for our trips to Dorset, or the New forest.

Have a wonderful holiday ☀️ 

• Thanks 1