MDR options as room service?

Alifay

Yes. Be sure to check the procedure. I kinda think you need to order early in dinner service. IIRC, your whole meal will come at once. Neptune Suites will vary. The PS can have course by course service. It's lovely, but you are paying a premium.

Just now, POA1 said:

Yes. Be sure to check the procedure. I kinda think you need to order early in dinner service. IIRC, your whole meal will come at once. Neptune Suites will vary. The PS can have course by course service. It's lovely, but you are paying a premium.

Thank you!  Is there an extra cost to order MDR room service?  Or is it included (non-suite stateroom)?

5 minutes ago, Alifay said:

Thank you!  Is there an extra cost to order MDR room service?  Or is it included (non-suite stateroom)?

No cost, unless you order one of the extra cost items. Also, tipping is very appropriate.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You must order during the first hour that the MDR is open, but you can specify what time you want the dinner to be delivered (within reason).

Great to know, thank you!

Plan ahead, where and how you will eat a full dinner in your cabin. Using a knife and fork - what steady, spread-out space do you have at a comfortable table height for more formal dining?  

We like in room dining more for sandwiches and snack items.

Love to hear our others manage full meals. Perched over the low coffee table? Clear the desk for one person to sit at table height? Even  Neptunes and Signature suites have little full dining spaces left - no more adjustable height tables.

In a Neptune suite there is plenty of room to eat.  There is that big, long counter space that faces the window and balcony.  There is also a table on the balcony.  It’s not adjustable but neither is my table at home.  A balcony room is more of a challenge.  I don’t dress formally in my room 😛.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have to order a full meal that way. I often use it to order a salad or dessert for late-night snack, especially since there often isn't anything open between buffet closing and the late buffet meal. It's also a way to try a second main course or dessert, either early or late, and still go to the MDR, so you have two lighter meals. Ordering early means it's easier for your steward to pick up plates during evening service, although they also ask you to call to have someone pick up your plates, but then you have to wait around your room. People on other lines seem to just leave plates in the hallway, even on Celebrity and Princess, but that's always seemed wrong on HAL. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 8:54 PM, quack2 said:

I used to do this on formal night when lobster was on the menu.  Lobster was pretty disappointing by the time it got to my room.

Imagine how the lobster felt! 😉

• Haha 5

On 5/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, richwmn said:

You must order during the first hour that the MDR is open, but you can specify what time you want the dinner to be delivered (within reason).

One thing to remember - they will not deliver at a time just after MDR opens, you have to wait a bit like 30-45 minutes as I recall.  I THINK this is because of how meals are prepared, with the main entrees not being ready for at least 30 minutes (or so) after the normal orders are taken in the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, rj59 said:

......... People on other lines seem to just leave plates in the hallway, even on Celebrity and Princess, but that's always seemed wrong on HAL. 

Yes, you are right. Leaving trays in the hallways on HAL ships is wrong.

And an extreme hazard to those using mobility devices, as well as general disgusting clutter - if you don't want it in your cabin, we don't want to pick around it in the hallways either.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Yes, you are right. Leaving trays in the hallways on HAL ships is wrong.

And an extreme hazard to those using mobility devices, as well as general disgusting clutter - if you don't want it in your cabin, we don't want to pick around it in the hallways either.

And easily remedied - just call to have it picked up. No need to wait, they'll go in and take it from your cabin. 😊

Used to be something in the cabin advising not to set outside but to call for pickup; haven't seen that in a while.

• Like 1