Current Alaska Sailings

islandchick

3 minutes ago, zzookiemookiw said:

I'm ready to book our excursions today. I hope there is still something left. 🙂 

Also, if an excursion you want is sold out, there is a fairly good chance you can find it through another vendor.  I was able to do that with the Taku Lodge & Seaplane excursion.  Same vendor as the ship and I saved about $100 pp.

• Like 2

Definitely.  You don't want to connect to the ship's cell service.  I understand that depending on the phone/cell plan you can just turn off roaming, but I turn on airplane mode, turn on wifi, and turn on wifi calling.  (actually I just leave wifi calling on all the time).  I receive calls and texts just fine.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

@CILCIANRQTS I was happy to read on another post that you currently on the Orion 🙂 How has it been so far?  It looks as though today (July 12th) was a sea day.  Did they do anything special?  Beverage tastings? Unique dinners?   

Today was supposedly glacier watching day, but we did not get within a mile of the Hubbard glacier.

Some heard that there were large ice chunks, called growlers, that made it too dangerous to get closer, although ships from Celebrity and HAL seemed to get close.

Trip has been good, although Viking seems to be gravitating to “on your own” excursions, meaning no guide, just some admission tickets to local attractions.

Not sure that qualifies as an excursion…

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Today was supposedly glacier watching day, but we did not get within a mile of the Hubbard glacier.

Some heard that there were large ice chunks, called growlers, that made it too dangerous to get closer, although ships from Celebrity and HAL seemed to get close.

Trip has been good, although Viking seems to be gravitating to “on your own” excursions, meaning no guide, just some admission tickets to local attractions.

Same thing happened to us a year ago on our day at Hubbard…we thought the day was totally underwhelming…our closest view of glaciers occurred in Seward on the Kenai Fjords tour which was excellent!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Another question for you....Are there 2 different times for the entertainment in the theater each evening?  I'm guessing and early (6ish) and late (8-9ish) show?

3 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Another question for you....Are there 2 different times for the entertainment in the theater each evening?  I'm guessing and early (6ish) and late (8-9ish) show?

Just one show at 9.

Earlier in the evening there are guest lecturers, that have been pretty good!

10 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Yes, but will not be accurate when ship underway.

Yes, it can be accurate.  But you lose a few on the unroll but don't worry you gain it all back on the downroll and a few extra....Just do an average of the highest and the lowest.  Easy.

• Thanks 1

Today we are in Skagway, a community of 400.

There will be 9,000 cruise ship passengers joining us.

And the locals are providing a shuttle bus to town for $5 round trip.

This may not be our best day of cruising on this trip…

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Today we are in Skagway, a community of 400.

There will be 9,000 cruise ship passengers joining us.

And the locals are providing a shuttle bus to town for $5 round trip.

This may not be our best day of cruising on this trip…

Are you allowed to walk from the ship into town?

Edited by PeabodyMa

On 6/4/2023 at 11:17 AM, Jim Avery said:

Skagway is great.  One of the best ever excursions was from there.  No not the train.  Helicopter to a glacier with a dog sled camp on it.  Got to meet the dogs and go sledding.  Of all the ones who rode on the back of the sled just guess who was the ONLY one to fall off????

Sorry you fell off. That was my favorite excursion ever!

5 hours ago, PeabodyMa said:

Are you allowed to walk from the ship into town?

Yes, but you first must take the free shuttle from the ship to the shore.

They’re still working on the rock slide damage and it is unsafe to walk the pier with the walkway lane closed.

Once you get on shore, it’s a flat 5-10 minute walk to town, or you can take the local SMART shuttle for $3 each way.

By the time we returned to town from our excursion around 1PM, the crowds had thinned as most returned to their ship for a “free” lunch.

We had a great lunch and excellent beer at Skagway Brewing Company on 4th. Also got a funky t-shirt there, instead of the ones that scream ALASKA on the front and have a bear or moose.

• Like 1