Live Updates Radiance SB Alaska May 26, 2023

Have had a lot of questions I didn't see answered elsewhere, so I'm going to give a go at live updates from our upcoming voyage.

I'll try to upload daily compass and menus as they come, but what other questions do you have that I can report back on?

MDR menus not shared yet, but assuming they will mirror WJ offerings:

Day 1:  All American Classics

Day 2:  Savor La France (Formal Night)

Day 3:  A Taste of Tex Mex

Day 4:  Mangia, Mangia! (Italian)

Day 5:  Your Flavor Passport to China  (Formal Night - should be Royal Night in MDR?)

Day 6:  Flavors of India (Boy Voyage in MDR?)

Day 7:  Meal in the Med (Greek)

We normally don't do specialty dining, but I'll report on those if we do, along with discounts offered on boarding day.

We fly out in two days!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LandlockedInKY said:

Have had a lot of questions I didn't see answered elsewhere, so I'm going to give a go at live updates from our upcoming voyage.

I'll try to upload daily compass and menus as they come, but what other questions do you have that I can report back on?

MDR menus not shared yet, but assuming they will mirror WJ offerings:

Day 1:  All American Classics

Day 2:  Savor La France (Formal Night)

Day 3:  A Taste of Tex Mex

Day 4:  Mangia, Mangia! (Italian)

Day 5:  Your Flavor Passport to China  (Formal Night - should be Royal Night in MDR?)

Day 6:  Flavors of India (Boy Voyage in MDR?)

Day 7:  Meal in the Med (Greek)

We normally don't do specialty dining, but I'll report on those if we do, along with discounts offered on boarding day.

We fly out in two days!

Internet reliability is always interesting to know

• Like 1

Are you staying in Anchorage overnight?  The Ships Creek Hotel is no longer a Choice Hotel, and they are NOT guaranteeing current reservations.  In fact, I was told by the hotel directly they have no knowledge of any reservations made through the Choice Hotel website.   Posted on the Alaska forum already to try and get the word out.   

I just cancelled and booked a different hotel but could be a painful way to start a trip. 

Carolyn 

5 hours ago, SeaStar102 said:

Are you staying in Anchorage overnight?  The Ships Creek Hotel is no longer a Choice Hotel, and they are NOT guaranteeing current reservations. 

I am, but not in that particular boarding house.  Glad you got it sorted out timely!

23 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Internet reliability is always interesting to know

Yes to internet report please!  I’m sure it won’t be great but at least serviceable would be nice.  I’ve heard reports it is worse in Alaska due to the landscape

We are doing Radiance SB also in the 6/9 sailing.  

Are you taking the train to Seward from Anchorage?  If so, how do you get from the Seward train station to the port?  I know it’s pretty close, but how close?  Not walking distance with bags? 

When is your boarding and did they honor your time?

Names/place of any outstanding bartenders?

Thank you!!

3 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Just saw this & duplicated question.  🤪

Sorry.

No problem.  As far as the train station in Seward goes, there are two. 

If you book the train through Royal, the whole train is chartered by Royal, it stops right at the cruise terminal, maybe 300 yards away.

If you book the train direct with the Alaskan Railroad, the public train station is a 20 minute walk to the cruise terminal or they offer a motorcoach ride for free.  

Either way, when you check your luggage in Anchorage it goes directly to the ship.  You not see your luggage again until it's delivered to your cabin.  Do not pack passports, wallets, paperwork, etc in your checked luggage.  Take all that stuff as carry on for the train. 

• Thanks 1

After a very short night at our hotel, we’re checking in for the (non cruise chartered) train. Wayfinding signage isn’t great, but you line up to check your baggage before going in the depot to retrieve your boarding pass.  Have your hotel information handy if overnighting in Seward - some hotels will pick up from the depot.  

Very crowded, but there is a coffee stand and gift shop inside. 

244D919D-EEAE-4CDA-AE05-7FAD120BF368.jpeg

• Like 1

Transportation options weren’t plentiful off the train, so we walked to our hotel 0.7 miles away. Wasn’t terrible, but lots of gravel on the sidewalks, so I wouldn’t recommend it, either. 

Grabbed a quick bite at Firebrand BBQ. It was good, and I’m not one to quickly give praise to barbecue joints. 

Shuttle arrived and off we went to Exit Glacier. Driver said 2-2.5 hours. We thought we took our time and enjoyed the scenery and were done in 1:17. Nice hike that would’ve been better without the snow in the bottoms, but not a huge hike, either. There is a much longer trail up to the ice field, but it wasn’t open yet. Neither was the visitors center, but they were there training staff, so any day now. 

It rained all day, but after dinner and drinks, the rain stopped, there were some breaks in the clouds, and Seward gave us quite a late night performance. 

Today’s plan includes Alaska Sea Life Center, lunch, and boarding. 

42A9BC10-5FC6-444D-9D27-B03B0827B856.jpeg

EC32E224-482B-4626-8D10-C88623972384.jpeg

527FC882-DD40-4177-9CD8-C0BC73302BD8.jpeg

7E0AF4FA-3359-44E1-9D2B-242A1B008080.jpeg

9C12A1E3-439E-4758-9FCB-1A97C7E0DE65.jpeg

• Like 8

18 hours ago, luv2cruise668 said:

curious as to who the captain is.  I am hoping it is Capt Marek and he will still be there when we go in August. He is the best.  

Marek came back from vacation on May 6.   Given a normal rotation I'm not sure he will be on in August.

Captain Rumen has been given Radiance as a permanent assignment alternating with Marek.  I enjoyed Captain Rumen.  He is very social and engaged.  He has spent time with Captain Johnny over the years and gleaned some of those social skills from Captain Johnny. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Marek came back from vacation on May 6.   Given a normal rotation I'm not sure he will be on in August.

Captain Rumen has been given Radiance as a permanent assignment alternating with Marek.  I enjoyed Captain Rumen.  He is very social and engaged.  He has spent time with Captain Johnny over the years and gleaned some of those social skills from Captain Johnny. 

One of the things we enjoyed with Capt Marek is how social he was when we were on Radiance last year.  I am glad to hear that Capt Rumen is also social.  But does he sing and rock out like Capt. Marek?  LOL

On 5/26/2023 at 9:03 AM, LandlockedInKY said:

Transportation options weren’t plentiful off the train, so we walked to our hotel 0.7 miles away. Wasn’t terrible, but lots of gravel on the sidewalks, so I wouldn’t recommend it, either. 

Grabbed a quick bite at Firebrand BBQ. It was good, and I’m not one to quickly give praise to barbecue joints. 

Shuttle arrived and off we went to Exit Glacier. Driver said 2-2.5 hours. We thought we took our time and enjoyed the scenery and were done in 1:17. Nice hike that would’ve been better without the snow in the bottoms, but not a huge hike, either. There is a much longer trail up to the ice field, but it wasn’t open yet. Neither was the visitors center, but they were there training staff, so any day now. 

It rained all day, but after dinner and drinks, the rain stopped, there were some breaks in the clouds, and Seward gave us quite a late night performance. 

Today’s plan includes Alaska Sea Life Center, lunch, and boarding. 

42A9BC10-5FC6-444D-9D27-B03B0827B856.jpeg

EC32E224-482B-4626-8D10-C88623972384.jpeg

527FC882-DD40-4177-9CD8-C0BC73302BD8.jpeg

7E0AF4FA-3359-44E1-9D2B-242A1B008080.jpeg

9C12A1E3-439E-4758-9FCB-1A97C7E0DE65.jpeg

We are planning on trying to get to the end of the Harding icefield trail on our B2B turnaround day in July. Hopefully everything is passable/not to snow covered in early July.