To pack or not to pack a puffer jacket for the glaciers

madre2

Just starting to put things in the suitcase for next week’s departure.  We will be doing Hubbard, and Glacier Bay, and I keep going back and forth between taking the warmer puffer jacket or leaving it at home.  Any advice on this?

I have seen warm sunny weather and cloudy cold windy weather in those places.  Layers are the way to go so you are ready for either and everything in between.  If your puffer jacket is the packable kind, which can act as a layer, I would take it. If it is a heavier jacket, I would instead take a fleece, wool layer (like a sweater), and rain/wind shell.  It can be really cold when you are standing outside viewing the glaciers.

• Like 3

I’m definitely taking mine.  The last time we went in May/June we were freezing out on deck at the glaciers.  They really do squish down to nothing in the suitcase so I think it is worth taking.

• Like 1

Depends on how long do you plan to be outside and how well can you tolerate the cold winds.

If you are watching the glaciers in the Lido or the MDR, you won't need to pack those heavy clothes.

Edited by xlxo

Just got back from Alaska. I had a puffer jacket, a vest, a heavy rain jacket. Two sweaters in my suitcase. I wore none of them.

Our weather was pretty warm. People were swimming at Hubbard Glacier. I wore a t-shirt out that day. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Coral said:

Just got back from Alaska. I had a puffer jacket, a vest, a heavy rain jacket. Two sweaters in my suitcase. I wore none of them.

Our weather was pretty warm. People were swimming at Hubbard Glacier. I wore a t-shirt out that day. 

In Alaska and the Baltics you never know what you are going to get at any point in the season 

I pack both cold and warm gear to be safe.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 6:57 AM, Coral said:

So did I, but that was very unusual weather. Warm and no rain.

Plan for cold rainy weather at the glacier so you can enjoy it. Take the puffer jacket. 

3 minutes ago, Kat915 said:

So did I, but that was very unusual weather. Warm and no rain.

Plan for cold rainy weather at the glacier so you can enjoy it. Take the puffer jacket. 

I have gone probably a dozen times in May. I only brought a winter jacket this time because snow was predicted for my stay in Whistler, Canada. Most of the time, I just bring a rain jacket that is sort of rubbery (so not a light rain jacket). 

Historically - May is the driest month of the summer months.

I have been to the Baltics several times also (May, June and July) and never needed a puffer jacket.

Edited by Coral

33 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

Yes, they weigh almost nothing and take up no room.  When we went it was 80 something in Juneau and 50 something on the glacier.

We wear shorts at 50 degrees where I live......

• Like 1

We are just back from Alaska on Celebrity.  We took a warm/heavy fleece jacket, and waterproof jacket.  If your puffer jacket is waterproof, it would work but to me being dry is as important as being warm - we were both with the layers.  Also took a hat and light gloves and wore them.   We were able to enjoy Hubbard Glacier and Mendenhall Glacier; both in the rain as we were perfectly dry, with the fleece for warmth and the waterproof over top to keep dry. 

We also had waterproof shoes (Keen) which served us really well.  Fortunately, as avid all-weather dog walkers at home, we had all the needed gear and didn't have to purchase anything for the trip. 

Just got back from two weeks, Vancouver to Seward and then back.  On the way up it rained in every port and was very cold.  We wore our down jackets every day and I had to buy a toque because I was so cold.  On the way back it didn’t rain at any of the ports other than for a short bout, but we needed the down jackets still in every port.  Only on the last sea day before getting back to Vancouver could people comfortably sit outside and enjoy the pool deck.  The weather is unpredictable.

• Like 1

Even when the weather is nice, it gets cold on the ship if you like to be outside while moving.  I would pack it, along with a lighter jacket and a stocking cap.  But that's me.  I don't want the wrong clothes to keep me inside.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:46 AM, dd57 said:

I have seen warm sunny weather and cloudy cold windy weather in those places.  Layers are the way to go so you are ready for either and everything in between.  If your puffer jacket is the packable kind, which can act as a layer, I would take it. If it is a heavier jacket, I would instead take a fleece, wool layer (like a sweater), and rain/wind shell.  It can be really cold when you are standing outside viewing the glaciers.

We have been to Alaska twice and I agree with you 100%!!  

Hat and gloves as well for Glacier Bay day.

• Like 1