Upgrading cabins

TheShag

Looking for some guidance on captioned subject and don't seem to be able to find this topic [strange?!] on CC boards. Although we are about 180 days away from cruise date, there appear to be a number of rooms still unsold for the cruise. While I have read that RSSC generally do not 'dump' unsold cabins, I would also imagine that they would like to sell them or get additional revenue from 'upselling' people to higher categories. We also imagine that they may bump-up some loyal passengers to available suites at some point. We have booked a penthouse category and have noticed that there are a number of higher suite categories available. We are thus looking for advice/timing on how/who to approach on upgrade. Thanks kindly for your guidance and assistance!

I can't really say I know for sure, but my understanding is that Regent won't give free or discounted upgrades as it degrades their product.  They often run "2 category upgrade" specials but if you booked way out it isn't a savings, and they generally don't include above penthouse.  So you can upgrade from a Concierge to Penthouse, but that's as high as you can go.  

Again, that's only my understanding.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My advice is to contact your travel agent and ask them to contact RSSC with your specific request- to be put on an upsell list, or to ask if the would consider selling the upgrade at a reduced price.  You could make an offer if you have a dollar amount that you are willing to spend per person.

we have taken advantage of upsell offers on a few occasions, but don’t often receive them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I can't really say I know for sure, but my understanding is that Regent won't give free or discounted upgrades as it degrades their product.  They often run "2 category upgrade" specials but if you booked way out it isn't a savings, and they generally don't include above penthouse.  So you can upgrade from a Concierge to Penthouse, but that's as high as you can go.  

Again, that's only my understanding.  

Many years ago, we were offered an upgrade -- for a fee -- to a penthouse suite from a G-level suite about a week before sailing. We had a choice of two or three. If such a thing does happen, I suspect it's because they need to make room at lower levels for GTY bookings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And speaking of GTYs, has anyone actually gotten a better cabin, up from the guarantee?

We're in a bottom bottom of a seriously waitlisted cruise. Any hope for something a little better?

Certainly not expecting a suite, but maybe a little something?

On our Japan cruise last month, we were offered to upgrade from a F1 to a PH four days before we arrived in Tokyo. The price was very reasonable. We were surprised it was offered in that most categories were wait listed. Even though we really don't use the butler, it was a treat for my wife's birthday to have the extra room.

We had a GTY in September on the Voyager and received the level of cabin that we booked. We didn't receive the cabin number until a few days before departing. We were a bit anxious, but ended up pleased with the location of the cabin.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mudhen said:

And speaking of GTYs, has anyone actually gotten a better cabin, up from the guarantee?

We're in a bottom bottom of a seriously waitlisted cruise. Any hope for something a little better?

Certainly not expecting a suite, but maybe a little something?

We got an upgrade recently on the April Voyager transatlantic cruise.  Booked the lowest cat, received a concierge cabin mid ship, 8th floor.  Obviously didn't receive the many pre-cruise benefits of the concierge class.  Our friends who booked the same class, same situation,  also ended up on 8 but in the stern.  

Reportedly the ship had 50 unsold cabins.   Our Seven Seas society status changed from silver to gold early in the cruise, so that might have had something to do with it.  As you likely know, the concierge cabins are the same size as the GTY class, so it was a nice surprise but not a wow! 

As I said, we're in the bottom bottom...haha! G2...it's small but totally functional as we've been in one before. Even if we don't move, we'll make do as we're on the cruise with friends. However a little something would be welcome! We'll see what happens! Fingers crossed!!!