The Commodore has a full set of cufflinks

bluemarble

At some point since we embarked QM2 on May 7th, at least two missing Commodore's Cufflinks have been replaced. There are now three new blades with bronze/brass colored coatings mounted near QM2's bow. I don't know for sure when the new blade on the starboard side first appeared, but the two on the port side have appeared since May 7th.

The new blades have the following markings.

Port side (leftmost two)

QM2

BLADE № 1236•0950 LH

TEMP:-17.8°

QM2

BLADE № 1235•0949 LH

TEMP:-17.9°

PSX_20230524_153209.thumb.jpg.a9859256902d0cf8bc8e27bdb328fb6e.jpg

Starboard side (leftmost)

QM2

BLADE № 564 RH

TEMP:-17.8°

PSX_20230524_153807.thumb.jpg.8d1c620e818230b1a3db4d90508bc465.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 9

Bluemarble,   I thought about these cufflinks when we were on the Victoria cruise which visited the drydock in Cadiz. If this had been on the QM2 I'm assuming that they would have used one of these blades?

Can you explain what the temperature means please?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

Can you explain what the temperature means please?

Sorry, I don't know what the TEMP markings mean on the new blades. I asked Dr. Stephen Payne about them after his lecture this morning and he didn't know, so I'm afraid it may remain a mystery for a while longer. By the way, Dr. Payne told me the new blades aren't actually newly-manufactured blades, but have been refurbished.

Here is a photo showing the markings on one of the new blades in case it helps any.

PSX_20230525_111116.thumb.jpg.ca0f7960d4f6df5eeed0a52eac05b5c9.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, techteach said:

@bluemarble You got to hear Stephen Payne?! I am so jealous, but very happy for you.

Yes, Stephen Payne presented four outstanding lectures during our just-completed westbound crossing. The first was on Titanic, the second on Mauretania and Lusitania, the third a personal story on the design of Queen Mary 2, and the fourth on ships of the air (blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins). He received a standing ovation at the end of his talk on QM2. I felt extremely fortunate to have finally been able to attend his guest lectures on board QM2.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I tried some research, and only thing I've come across so far is: Propeller Cavitation. Apparently it causes blade erosion and degradation and is affected by water temperatures.

Perhaps the TEMP marking is related.