Iceland's Majestic Landscapes - Arctic Circle Blue Nose ceremony?

WanderingBrit

I couldn't find a clear answer searching: this itinerary crosses 66N at a couple of ports of call, do they hold a "Blue Nose" ceremony (cheesy as it might sound), and if so, any experience around when? We're on the Reykjavik-Bergen sailing, and leaving Ísafjörður at 4:30 seems a likely opportunity.

Cheers

Kevin

We had a Blue Nose ceremony in 2018 on the Midnight Sun cruise but not on the Iceland Welcome Back cruise in 2021.  Strangely enough there was no shellback ceremony when crossing the Equator on our Amazon cruise last February when we were clearly at or just south of it for several days.

Witnessed the Blue Nose ceremony on the Sky in March 2019, probably a day or two after crossing the Arctic Circle. The (what was normally the) hot tub under the dome was filled with icy water. Initiates in swim wear would then jump into the pool one by one (although a father-daughter pair plunged together, hand in hand) then scramble out as quickly as possible to be greeted by attendants standing by with robes and shots of aquavit.

Fortunately for us, our own initiation in August 2016 on the Azamara Quest involved only stepping into a pan of ice water then kissing a large frozen fish, followed by a shot of aquavit.

Edited by JDincalif
  • Like 1

Whats life without a little whimsy?  It is not like the workplace where you are forced to participate in "fun and bonding" activities.  I will likely play along because all of this is built on a sense of fun and wonder.

Otherwise you will find me in the library

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

Whats life without a little whimsy?  It is not like the workplace where you are forced to participate in "fun and bonding" activities.  I will likely play along because all of this is built on a sense of fun and wonder.

Otherwise you will find me in the library

No frozen fish to kiss in the library.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

...any experience around when?

Forgot to address your question about the timing - we think the ceremony was scheduled for a sea day not long after the crossing

• Like 1

We did the Blue Nose Ceremony on our Into The Midnight Sun cruise last June.  It was fun!  It was on a sea day and there are 3 parts to the ceremony.  Viking accommodates all need levels for participation in this ceremony so if you chose to not take a dip in the Iced Spa or you don’t want to drink the “ ceremonial “ beverage, it’s your choice.  It was packed as so many people either took the plunge or watched.

The Iceland circumnavigation (2021) crosses twice but there were only certificates for us as there were no sea days on which to hold the ceremony.

Midnight Sun (2016) was a different story.  We were in the second ever initiation held on board a Viking ship.  DH and his brother went in together; the wives were not as enthusiastic. They did the dunk, had their nose dabbed with blue shaving cream and downed their shot of Aquavit. No kissing the fish at this point in the evolution of the ceremony.  A fun time was had by all!

Edited by Peregrina651

Midnight Sun in 18 we crossed going North then a few days later returned crossing going south .... ceremony held after the southern crossing on a sea day .... we'd passed very close to a marker on the circle during an 'inland' passage ....

IMG_1013.thumb.JPG.38aa54717a5305318cb4673501b59874.JPG

as mentioned the hot tub was converted to an ice bath and one could take a quick plunge and was met with a dab of blue frosting on the nose and a shot of aquavit and a special certificate for Blue Nose ... As I recall everyone got a more generic certificate for crossing into the Arctic without the 'bluenose' designation.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 4:14 AM, Capt_BJ said:

Midnight Sun in 18 we crossed going North then a few days later returned crossing going south .... ceremony held after the southern crossing on a sea day .... we'd passed very close to a marker on the circle during an 'inland' passage ....

IMG_1013.thumb.JPG.38aa54717a5305318cb4673501b59874.JPG

as mentioned the hot tub was converted to an ice bath and one could take a quick plunge and was met with a dab of blue frosting on the nose and a shot of aquavit and a special certificate for Blue Nose ... As I recall everyone got a more generic certificate for crossing into the Arctic without the 'bluenose' designation.

So that's what it looks like!

On our July Midnight Sun cruise, we only saw fog!!  Wonder if some months are better than others for viewing the North Cape.

Luck of the draw.

We had the Blue Nose ceremony on our Midnight Sun and Northern Lights cruises. I actually did it and it was a blast! On the Midnight Sun, CD Aaron and the captain jumped in, too! On Northern Lights, CD Elmer did not. No surprise there….

Where you on the very first Midnight Sun in 2016? I could imagine CD and Capt taking the plunge in honor of the first Viking ship to cross the Arctic Circle.

I was on the 2nd Midnight Sun in 2016 and, as memory has it, Aaron did not take the plunge.  

Edited by Peregrina651

So that's what it looks like!

On our July Midnight Sun cruise, we only saw fog!!  Wonder if some months are better than others for viewing the North Cape.

Luck of the draw.

funny ... this was July '18 .... record setting warm weather. Heading back in a few weeks . . . Bergen to Iceland via Honnigsvag and Svalbard And Jan Mayen

On 5/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Where you on the very first Midnight Sun in 2016? I could imagine CD and Capt taking the plunge in honor of the first Viking ship to cross the Arctic Circle.

I was on the 2nd Midnight Sun in 2016 and, as memory has it, Aaron did not take the plunge.  

No, we just went June, 2022.