What actually happens in dry dock?

Hi all, hoping someone can answer my question.  Here’s why I ask.  My DH and I have decided that for our 35th anniversary, we want to do a mediterranean cruise.  (Our 35th isn’t until 2025 but we are early planners, LOL!). Anyway, we have only been on Celebrity so far, which we love but they keep getting more and more expensive…we do have an MSC cruise planned in the YC in 2024.  Based on our research, we’d like to try HAL, but have been reading some pretty bad reviews of the Oosterdam, which seems to be the ship in that part of the world. I saw from another thread that the Oosterdam is slated for dry dock in October of this year.  So what exactly happens in dry dock?  Is it a case of refreshing the ship so it looks nice, or do they address the problems folks have been complaining about like leaks, bad plumbing, etc?  Any information will definitely be appreciated and helpful in making our decision.

It could be anything from minor maintenance/upgrades to various ships systems (annually), to as much as a full redesign of the cabins and public areas (every decade, or longer).

Given the short duration for this dry dock (12 days), that doesn't leave enough time for full redesigns. Likely maintenance of systems.

Also, take 'bad reviews' with a grain of salt.  Selection bias means that bad reviews are more likely than good ones. Prior to cruising on MSC Divina, the number of bad reviews were numerous (food, staff, etc). Turns out it is a fantastic ship, and one I very much enjoyed my time on. 

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

It could be anything from minor maintenance/upgrades to various ships systems (annually), to as much as a full redesign of the cabins and public areas (every decade, or longer).

Given the short duration for this dry dock (12 days), that doesn't leave enough time for full redesigns. Likely maintenance of systems.

Also, take 'bad reviews' with a grain of salt.  Selection bias means that bad reviews are more likely than good ones. Prior to cruising on MSC Divina, the number of bad reviews were numerous (food, staff, etc). Turns out it is a fantastic ship, and one I very much enjoyed my time on. 

Much of what is done in drydock is below the waterline or out of view of the passenger. There are required maintenance and inspections, which require the ship to be out of the water.

Yes, they can do passenger facing work as well...new carpets, beds, other work. An amazing amount can be done in a very short time, because they plan these things to the minute, have all the supplies and equipment ordered and received before the ship even  gets out of the water. Much of the crew is kept on board to help and support the work. Of course, they go 24/7 on drydock work as time out of the water is money lost to the cruise line.

I also take reviews with a huge load of salt. A lot of reviews are about food or service...which are very subjective and of course, can't be fixed in a dry dock.  Other things like too much (or not enough) A/C are also subjective, and not really flaws that need a fix. Things like plumbing frequently are fixed on board...maybe with in a day or two, and the reviewer focuses on the problem, not the solution. The list of possible complaints goes on and on...but hopefully you can tell apart things that are serious mechanical issues, those that are lesser mechanical issues, those that aren't really mechanical issues at all, and those that are totally subjective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cathy in Boston said:

Hi all, hoping someone can answer my question.  Here’s why I ask.  My DH and I have decided that for our 35th anniversary, we want to do a mediterranean cruise.  (Our 35th isn’t until 2025 but we are early planners, LOL!). Anyway, we have only been on Celebrity so far, which we love but they keep getting more and more expensive…we do have an MSC cruise planned in the YC in 2024.  Based on our research, we’d like to try HAL, but have been reading some pretty bad reviews of the Oosterdam, which seems to be the ship in that part of the world. I saw from another thread that the Oosterdam is slated for dry dock in October of this year.  So what exactly happens in dry dock?  Is it a case of refreshing the ship so it looks nice, or do they address the problems folks have been complaining about like leaks, bad plumbing, etc?  Any information will definitely be appreciated and helpful in making our decision.

Drydockings are scheduled to complete the required regulatory inspections, most of which are under water or within the tanks. The hull is also cleaned and recoated with anti-fouling.

While in drydock, they will endeavour to complete some hotel maintenance, using the crew and contracted resources. This includes all aspects of the hotel operation, such as plumbing, electrical, flooring, upholstery, painting, etc. Exterior areas will also receive maintenance with scaling/painting.

On longer drydock they may schedule some capital projects.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Cleaning of the Hull, ADA improvements ,

Much of the hull cleaning these days is completed in water with divers, between regular drydockings. It is only cleaned in drydock as part of the preparation specifications for the application of new coatings.

With respect to ADA improvements, it depends on the scope of work, as unless it involves structural changes, or other significant work, many of these can also be completed while the ship is operational.

I have no idea what the O-dam drydock is going to have done. If you want a sample of what a cruise ship drydock looks like here is a 1 hour youtube about a RCCL in Cadiz Spain by a crewmember temporally assigned to firewatch. I found it fascinating especially when he looked over the side into the drydock. He didn't know what he was filming for a lot of it. 

Unfortunately, the Youtube film provides minimal insight into what is conducted in drydock, as it mostly shows a very high level summary of some of the maintenance work on the hotel side. It doesn't include any of the primary reasons for the ship heading to drydock. Yes, the hotel crew had their visit to the bottom of the drydock, but only after all the work was complete, as noted by the condition of the hull.

Based on numerous drydockings from a ship perspective and also having managed a shipyard for a few years, this really provides minimal insight to what is included in drydocking a pax vessel.

As I've said before, I was on Oosterdam for 31 days in March/April and loved the ship.  I experienced none of the issues that have been reported in the various negative "reviews" (aka bitchfests) that have popped up recently.

Capt. Kevin Beirnaert, described Oosterdam as "HIS ship" and as a "classy older lady who's aged well".  She may have had some problems, but nothing that should put you off sailing on her, especially if there's a dry dock later this year.  I thought Capt. Kevin said it would be in 2024, but perhaps things have changed.

• Like 1