Boarding in 2 weeks

gizmodog

Leaving from Seattle round trip to Alaska in a couple weeks and my daughter and grandkids ages 18 and 16 are also going. My grandson had his drivers license but my grand daughter does not have a state ID SHE IS STILL IN DRIVERS ED. Anyway  Holland says you need a birth certificate and a state picture ID. do you think she can board with just a birth certificate? Has anyone done this before?

I don't believe she can board w/just a birth certificate. Even though she doesn't have a DL, she should be able to get a state issued ID which she could take.

You definitely should call HAL and get confirmation of what's required for a minor.

• Like 1

HAL’s site at https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.html states:

Children: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 traveling on a closed-loop cruise (a cruise in the Western Hemisphere which originates and ends in the same U.S. port) will be able to present their government issued birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card to sail. Birth certificates can be an original, photocopy or certified original.

If 16 or older, for round-trip US-based cruises, if one the documents identified in the list is not available, a “government issued photo ID, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her government issued birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization)”

may be presented.

I know that some jurisdictions may mail the photo id, issuing s non-photo ID as a temporary card. I do NOT know if a temporary card, without a picture, is sufficient. Illinois temporary cards (drivers licenses and state IDs) do include a picture and are issued prior to departing the facility. see https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/drivers/drivers_license/drlicid.html#:~:text=The temporary%2C secure paper driver's,driver's license or State ID.

It is a federal government requirement, not solely a Holland America policy. I don’t think anyone at HAL can waive the requirement

The exemption from ID requirement appears to be limited to children under 16.  A 16 years old needs ID on a closed loop cruise.

Also, bear in mind that the cruise enters Canada and every passenger must have appropriate entry documents for Canada.  Canadian Immigration law contains as similar age limitation.  Without a passport or government issued photo ID she risks being denied boarding for failure to meet Canadian immigration requirements, even if HAL policy could be overcome.

• Like 2

I went back to look and it was posted twice in error, I was having trouble posing it and must have hit post twice. Pardon the error. But I have also posted two different questions about boarding. I’m a grandma and don’t usually board with teenagers and I’m trying to be informed sorry.

Does the child have a school ID? I have heard of those being accepted sometimes. If it is issued by a school district, that is a government agency, too. 

You will want to have a permission statement, signed by both parents, allowing you to have the child with you, and to obtain medical treatment, should that need arise. 

• Like 1