Saint Greg's Venezia Transatlantic May 29, 2023

Saint Greg

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

11 knots but I think we were only going 12 yesterday 

Thanks, sounds like a leisurely crossing anyway so not much reduction in speed was needed. The service speed for Vista Class is: 24 knots (44 km/h) maximum Service speed 22 knots (41 km/h)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Never watched Andy Griffith. My dad likes it. But anything that was in black and white was unwatchable for me.

You're going to hate the beginning of The Wizard of Oz!

• Haha 5

For you Greg and others who may be interested the best history of the night in 1912 was written by Walter Lord and the 1954 movie was based on his book which Mr. Lord wrote after personally interviewing over 50 survivors of the sinking between 1949-1951. For most, their memory was still clear and the details they shared are described in the book. $1.99 on Amazon and worthwhile reading for anyone interested. I interviewed Mr. Lord in 1992 in his Park Avenue co-op for the 80th anniversary of the sinking. 

9781568656472-us.jpg

• Like 17

How did it take me 11 days to get to the carnavale for a drink? I love the view. I know karaoke has scared me away at night. And it’s not open during my morning drinks.

I found more alchemists here. These ladies are alchemists. You may remember Andrea “the linebacker” from my Glory “Sailabration” she remembers my drink requests.

IMG_7230.thumb.jpeg.fa0614838b6b21e99d9eda5e06154a4e.jpeg

IMG_7231.thumb.jpeg.7d96c2a5d6bce7b5f70a25c4d0ffd723.jpeg

IMG_7233.thumb.jpeg.ce51fdb250859d22f6b4c86c3cb3f41f.jpeg

• Like 21

24 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

One question and I'll move on, did you notice if more than a few people went to the outside decks to pause and reflect as Venezia passed the location of the sinking? 

Not many. One guy at the Carnivale bar was going to do it. Most people just going about their business. Even during the announcement i was struggling to get to a spot that was quiet enough to hear it. It worked out decent that that was an area with the map.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 14

17 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Even during the announcement i was struggling to get to a spot that was quiet enough to hear it. It worked out decent that that was an area with the map.

I'm bad at understanding heavy foreign accents. Getting to a quiet place on the ships to hear the captain's noon report on sea days doesn't do me any good. I can understand the numbers, e.g. depth of ocean and temperatures they announce but not much else.

The captain's noon report is a tradition on sea days that many Carnival captains continue today just as Carnival still offers afternoon tea. I'm thinking afternoon tea isn't in the realm of the possible in Gregland.

You can walk into tea holding a Moretti and no one will bat an eye and you can sit by yourself, skip the tea and try some of the best desserts served on Carnival that are included in your cruise fare.

1tea.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 12

9 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I'm bad at understanding heavy foreign accents. Getting to a quiet place on the ships to hear the captain's noon report on sea days doesn't do me any good. I can understand the numbers, e.g. depth of ocean and temperatures they announce but not much else.

The captain's noon report is a tradition on sea days that many Carnival captains continue today just as Carnival still offers afternoon tea. I'm thinking afternoon tea isn't in the realm of the possible in Gregland.

You can walk into tea holding a Moretti and no one will bat an eye and you can sit by yourself, skip the tea and try some of the best desserts served on Carnival that are included in your cruise fare.

1tea.jpg

If they want better attendance they shouldn’t bury it in the hungry for more section of the fun times. It’s just not something I ever think about. Maybe they should put it as an actual event instead of a footnote in the food section. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

If they want better attendance they shouldn’t bury it in the hungry for more section of the fun times. It’s just not something I ever think about. 

I agree. In 2014 we first noticed it wasn't listed in the Daily Events and guest services showed us it had been moved to Hungry for More. Fewer guests go now but the service is usually quick, but I do have to set an alarm for 2:45pm or she may give me an elbow in my ribs.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

How did it take me 11 days to get to the carnavale for a drink? I love the view. I know karaoke has scared me away at night. And it’s not open during my morning drinks.

I found more alchemists here. These ladies are alchemists. You may remember Andrea “the linebacker” from my Glory “Sailabration” she remembers my drink requests.

Zora is the best! I’ve been getting most of my drinks here, but then again its just steps from my Terrazza room.

As far as the Karaoke—TERRIBLE place to put it. DH and I like to relax at the bar or right outside in the late afternoon with a drink and BAM, the karaoke drives us away.  Plus being a Terrazza guest, it kind of makes the back “exclusive” area non-inviting—sigh. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Zora is the best! I’ve been getting most of my drinks here, but then again its just steps from my Terrazza room.

As far as the Karaoke—TERRIBLE place to put it. DH and I like to relax at the bar or right outside in the late afternoon with a drink and BAM, the karaoke drives us away.  Plus being a Terrazza guest, it kind of makes the back “exclusive” area non-inviting—sigh. 

When I’m going down the stairs for dinner I hear it coming out of there and there’s just no way I’m going in there at night.

• Like 7

A wise choice. Karaoke is only fun if one is participating, IMHO.

Later in the evening the Latino music duo in the Carnivale lounge is quite nice.

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

When I’m going down the stairs for dinner I hear it coming out of there and there’s just no way I’m going in there at night.

• Like 4