Princess formal nights dress standard

I don't fit the stereotype either, but I am really glad that cruise line safety officers don't make us wear hi-viz at sea.

Ā 

If there is a sense of occasion, I am happy to don my finest. Most cruise ship formal/cocktail/elegant nights have lost that sense of occasion, so I dress smartly but not formally. In lots of spaces, doing up your top button and adding a tie makes it formal and I will do that when the occasion warrants.

21 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I find men who don't have to dress for work, love to dress up on cruises. Ā Whilst men who have to dress for work, with long sleeves and ties (in Queensland summer), love to dress casually on cruises.

If there can be any general statement about which men will 'dress up' on cruises, I feel it is the opposite of what you suggest. Men who do (or who have) worn business attire for work are comfortable in more formal clothes on a cruise. However, I know a few tradies who wouldn't wear a suit on a cruise. They would feel very uncomfortable. A printed long sleeve shirt worn with long pants is as dressy as they go.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

The men in my circle were businessmen, who were tradies, so that might have made the difference.

They were used to dressing up for social occasions. Ā Whereas the men who had to dress for work everyĀ day, enjoyed not having to dressĀ on holidays. Ā 

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

I don't fit the stereotype either, but I am really glad that cruise line safety officers don't make us wear hi-viz at sea.

Ā 

If there is a sense of occasion, I am happy to don my finest. Most cruise ship formal/cocktail/elegant nights have lost that sense of occasion, so I dress smartly but not formally. In lots of spaces, doing up your top button and adding a tie makes it formal and I will do that when the occasion warrants.

Ā 

Ā 

he wasnt intending to wear his hi vis work uniform on our trip šŸ¤£

Ā 

and just to clarify - we are going on a river cruise, not an ocean cruise, so my understanding is that there are not formal nights as such -Ā  for the dressier occasions, DH will wear a collared shirt and chino type pants andĀ  I will wear dressy pants and fancy top. It will be SeptemberĀ  so autumn in Europe.

But it isnt the formal night attire of ocean cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

Ā 

Ā 

he wasnt intending to wear his hi vis work uniform on our trip šŸ¤£

Ā 

and just to clarify - we are going on a river cruise, not an ocean cruise, so my understanding is that there are not formal nights as such -Ā  for the dressier occasions, DH will wear a collared shirt and chino type pants andĀ  I will wear dressy pants and fancy top. It will be SeptemberĀ  so autumn in Europe.

But it isnt the formal night attire of ocean cruises.

If it makes him feel at home, hi-viz is perfectly acceptable on river cruises, or so I've heard šŸ˜‰

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

If there can be any general statement about which men will 'dress up' on cruises, I feel it is the opposite of what you suggest. Men who do (or who have) worn business attire for work are comfortable in more formal clothes on a cruise. However, I know a few tradies who wouldn't wear a suit on a cruise. They would feel very uncomfortable. A printed long sleeve shirt worn with long pants is as dressy as they go.

Which is VERY acceptable but I cringe when the board shorts and thongs appear in the dining room with a cap on formal nights and now the Maitre D does not seem to exist on the floor any more nothing is often said

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

If it makes him feel at home, hi-viz is perfectly acceptable on river cruises, or so I've heard šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Ā 

I think it would make him feel like he is at work - and that would defeat purpose of a holiday šŸ˜‰

Ā 

would make finding your partner in a crowded area easier though. šŸ˜†

Edited by Kristelle
typo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Ā 

Ā 

I think it would make him feel like he is at work - and that would defeat purpose of a holiday šŸ˜‰

Ā 

would make finding your partner in a crowded area easier though. šŸ˜†

tux.thumb.jpg.4f011c680e46c857e223bdfe280ad326.jpg

No, it isn't me.

• Haha 3