Best place to view Alaska when in an OV cabin?

bluecruisin

I sailed Spirit May 10-17 in an inside cabin. I spent a lot of time in Spice H2O (deck 11), The great outdoors and Garden Café outdoor area (deck 12).

When I wanted to be indoors for a while Spinnacker lounge was nice.

• Like 1

I agree with Asawi. We were on the Pearl but we spent a lot of time sitting in the great outdoors whale watching and we saw plenty! Spinnaker was lovely but people treated it in a similar fashion to loungers in the Caribbean.  The seating at the window always seemed 'claimed'.  I however am not opposed to delivering lost items to the bar. 🤫😉

• Haha 4

@Asawi is correct, however, the Spice H2O is on deck 10 aft, not 11.

We were on Spirit in Feb 2020 (just before the pandemic) and loved the Spice H2O and the aft terraces from deck 10 up to 12.

We’re back on the Spirit on Wed for 2 weeks Alaska (B2B) and have OV cabin. Didn’t bother to upgrade. 

• Like 1

My suggestion is to take all the suggestions you get and make sure you spend time in each of them especially when you are exploring the glaciers.  Change decks and locations for the best views as they look different from different locations.  Even if you had a balcony I'd say the same thing.  When we were in Glacier bay they even opened the bow for viewing.  

• Like 2

We just returned from Alaska after taking the second Bliss cruise of the season. During our day in Glacier bay we split our time between the sun deck on level 16 and the observation lounge on the 15th level. It was a chilly day, but the skies were clear and we enjoyed being outside on the deck. When we wanted to go inside, we didn't have a hard time finding a spot in the observation lounge. 

I spent a lot of time in buffet area, by a window, coffee in hand.  Easy access to outdoor area in back of ship. Even if the buffet was not serving, the crew was nice and never kicked me out.  Other people were doing the same thing.

• Like 1

My favorite for Glacier viewing is the Promenade Deck near the back.  It is rarely crowded, and it is easy to cut through the ship to see the other side.  Being lower down gives you the chance to "hear" the ice in the water.  

I can't say on the Spirit, but on the Jewel class ships there is a warm air vent on Deck 13 outside the Spinnaker entrance.  That is the best spot on cold glacier viewing days.

• Like 3

For the Inside Passage - the Hot Tubs are always a favorite for us...

It's been a while since we've been on the Spirit - I do not recall where the hot tubs are & if they're located in an optimum place.

Have a Fantastic Cruise & Cheers  --  Von  John

Spend the first sea day scouting spots with a deck plan and look for spots other people might miss. Any with warm air vent would get a big circle on deck plan unless it was a kitchen vent with all kinds of food smells. sightcrr.