NCL Getaway or Celebrity Infinity - Europe

Bottom line - have two weeks in October 2024, want to see some of Turkey as part of some sort of trip and see places we haven’t seen. Here are the options I’m considering -

Non-Cruise: Week in Istanbul (and explore around) plus week in Sicily (Palermo and Taormina).

Cruise 1: NCL Getaway from Athens. Ports - Jerusalem, Haifa, Alexandria Egypt, Port Said Eqypt, Limassol Cyprus, Rhodes Greece, Kusadasi Turkey, arrives Istanbul where we would spend 3 nights. This one gives us some places we would likely not go as a normal trip but do interest us (Egypt and Israel).

Cruse 2: Celebrity Infinity from Athens. Ports - Volos Greece, 2 full days in Istanbul, Kusadasi, Santorini, Rhodes, Mykonos. 2 days in Istanbul gives us a taste, we love Greece - have been to Santorini but not the others on this itinerary but it won’t be as “exotic”.

Any thoughts on the NCL experience vs Celebrity? We’ve been on RC, Carnival and NCL in the past with RC being our favorite and NCL the least, but the NCL was a New England cruise on the Gem.

Appreciate any feedback you all have and hopefully someone has done these itineraries before with some feedback! Thank you.

The NCL itinerary is superior to the Celebrity one based on what you've said you're interested in. You've sailed with NCL before although they are not your favorite -- could you deal with them for this itinerary?

Alternatively, land travel is often under-discussed here (for obvious reasons) but is often the better way to see a place that particularly interests you. A long time ago I did a land-trip to Turkey with Gate 1 that was a wonderful trip -- we spent time in Istanbul at beginning and end, visited ancient Troy, Ephesus, Kona, Pamukkale, Ankara and even spent a couple of days in Cappadocia. Our guide was fabulous. As I recall, the trip was less than two weeks meaning you could tack on extra days in Istanbul if desired. I think it was called something like "Affordable Turkey" -- but at the end of the tour I actually dubbed it the "Priceless Turkey" tour -- it was that good. Not deluxe, but just good -- well thought out, well run, and well guided.

I have been back to Turkey several times since then, spending additional time in Istanbul and also in Kusadasi visiting additional ancient sites of interest. But it would be difficult to arrange such a far-flung tour in such a short time on your own.

We are travelers first, and we are cruisers. After a "taste" of Turkey on a cruise, we then went on a land trip for 8 nights in Istanbul.

I would be with choice #1, but between the two cruises, definitely choice #2.

Edited by SPacificbound

I've been on two NCL Eastern Med cruises in recent years and had a wonderful experience. NCL's itinerary is far superior, IMHO. Each one of those ports is fabulous. Although I favor Celebrity if all else is equal, in this case, it isn't. Go with NCL. 

In general, I prefer Celebrity over NCL.  That said, NCL's newer ships (Breakaway and newer) are much better than their older ships like Gem.  For example, I couldn't wait to get off Dawn, but I loved my cruise on Escape.  If RCI was your favorite, I think you will really enjoy Getaway.

I like itinerary 1 better, so I recommend Getaway.  

Edited by Aquahound

• 2 weeks later...