Regal ship balcony rooms

beshears

I'm thinking of the getting 4 balcony rooms on the Princess Regal. If you have had a balcony room on the "end" of the ship, what were your pros/cons of this room. The reason I ask, normally my room is around the middle of the ship, but I have had a balcony room on the end (yes I know there is walking to the center of the ship, etc.), and there were steps either going up/down to the next deck, which made it convenient at times.

We have been in a forward facing cabin on the Regal. The sea was calm for us, but if the sea decides to get angry, you will feel yaw, surge and pitch more pronounced in forward or aft cabins. Heave, roll and sway would be felt about the same.

You didn't say which "end." Forward facing, they tell you not to open the balcony door when the ship is underway and balcony lights off at night. Some have posted the they've experienced soot in the aft facing cabins balconies, I don't know about that. 

We’ve sailed a few times on Regal Princess and mostly in forward cabins on deck 16 and 15 because of the large balconies.  I’m not a fan of aft cabins, but many people love them.  Most people are comfortable in mid-ship cabins.

Sorry, but I don’t know what “end” you’re asking about.  If you could provide cabin numbers or decks that you prefer then it would be easier to help you.

By end of the ship I am thinking you are referring to the aft or back of the ship. Aft cabins are mostly smooth sailing. Not much different than mid ship cabins. Thrusters are aft and can cause some vibration while docking and undocking. Starboard aft deck 8 cabins are above a smoking area on the promenade "patio" on deck 7. Deck 8 aft cabins are also above the Vista Lounge which could have entertainment and activities until later in the evening, say 11pm. Aft cabins on deck 15 are just below the Horizon Terrace on deck 16. There may be some daytime noise from above. Wake facing cabins are in high demand.

You will notice some additional motion in rough, choppy and rolling seas. I have not noticed the motion to be very different than you experience mid ship.

We just did a TA in B736 on the Regal. We enjoy aft facing cabins for the view. The balcony on this cabin was very good size and partially covered. You will have soot occasionally but the steward wipes down the furniture and mops the deck daily. The amount will depend on wind direction so no predicting how it will be.

There is a fair amount of vibration at the back of the ship. We only find it annoying during early docking. When the side thrusters kick in there is no sleeping! 

Other advantages are proximity to the laundromat, direct access via elevator to the Allegro Dining Room and the larger cabin for the premium balconies.

Thank you "everyone" for your postings to me on my question. As for which end, it really didn't make any difference, but after reading your postings, I think it "might" make a difference. 🙂

19 minutes ago, beshears said:

Thank you "everyone" for your postings to me on my question. As for which end, it really didn't make any difference, but after reading your postings, I think it "might" make a difference. 🙂

We are big fans of aft rooms.  I think it would make a big difference aft vs bow for wind conditions and other factors.  Also be aware that aft rooms are generally considered premium so they have a higher fare.  We love to sit on the balcony watching and listening to the wake.  Also that area tends to be quiet in the hallways as the only people back there are going to their cabins -- you don't have much misc traffic like mid-ship locations.  If you expect to spend a lot of time on your balcony (like we do) then location/aft may be a good choice for you.  If on the other hand you don't expect to spend much time out there, you may find the long walk to and from your room not worth the hassle.  You mentioned being on the Regal (that's our favorite ship 🙂) but not the itinerary.  If it's a warm weather Caribbean cruise then you may use the balcony a lot.  If it's a spring British Isles cruise then you may not use the balcony very much.  

Edit to add we have been long time aft cruisers and have never had a problem with soot, and we've been on both Grand class and Royal class.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan