Waiting until onboard to book excursions/rant about limits on OBC

croozen

We have about $450 in OBC for upcoming 10 day Baltic cruise in July. 

I was astounded when speaking w HAL today about what you can NOT use OBC for. 

- internet packages

- drink packages

- gratuities 

- shore excursions or specialty dining booked in advance . 

In order to get a reservation at Tamarind that isn’t 9 pm we already booked that. Cant use OBC. 

Our only option to use OBC (we aren’t spa users) is specialty shops or book shore excursions once we get onboard. Or, drink by drink consumption that isn’t part of a package. Because once it is a package, no OBC for you!!

It’s crazy to me these limits. 

anyway, my residual question is: anyone have any luck finding space on a shore excursion if you wait and just book once on board?  Nervous about being very limited in choices - if there are any at all - if we do that. 

Edited by croozen

Hi - you can book the excursion and prepay to get your spot, then once onboard immediately go to Shore Excursions and have them move it from your CC to OBC. This has to be done by Shore Excursions,  not Guest Services; while GS is open 24/7, SE is not so you'll need to check their hours.

Don't try to cancel & rebook yourself through the app & TV (especially if the excursion has sold out (as you risk losing your spot and incurring penalty charges, if applicable), just tell Shore Excursions you want to move it/them from CC to OBC. They do it quickly w/o pushback.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, croozen said:

- internet packages

- drink packages

- gratuities 

Whoever you spoke to was mistaken. You can use your OBC for shore excursions, gratuities, and internet packages. I believe you can use it for the drink packages as well but have never tried.

You can not use your OBC for anything before you get on the ship.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hi - you can book the excursion and prepay to get your spot, then once onboard immediately go to Shore Excursions and have them move it from your CC to OBC. This has to be done by Shore Excursions,  not Guest Services; while GS is open 24/7, SE is not so you'll need to check their hours.

Don't try to cancel & rebook yourself through the app & TV (especially if the excursion has sold out (as you risk losing your spot and incurring penalty charges, if applicable), just tell Shore Excursions you want to move it/them from CC to OBC. They do it quickly w/o pushback.

One thing to note here, if you do this your payment will not be refunded to your card, but rather to refundable OBC which if not used will be refunded to your card or cash at the end of your cruise.

• Like 2

You can’t use OBC until you are aboard ship. You cannot purchase things in advance of getting on the ship with OBC, regardless of when it is to be delivered.  Once aboard, you have a great deal of flexibility in how you can use it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Whoever you spoke to was mistaken. You can use your OBC for shore excursions, gratuities, and internet packages. I believe you can use it for the drink packages as well but have never tried.

You can not use your OBC for anything before you get on the ship.

The HAL person very explicitly said these items were excluded. She said anything that is a “package” which according to HAL is laundry, internet, and drink packages. This matches what the website, rather vaguely, says as well. 

Edited by croozen

2 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

You can’t use OBC until you are aboard ship. You cannot purchase things in advance of getting on the ship with OBC, regardless of when it is to be delivered.  Once aboard, you have a great deal of flexibility in how you can use it.

Perhaps the rules have changed. There was no flexibility for the items I listed and we discussed the issue for upwards of 15 minutes. “That’s our policy, sorry you don’t like it ” were her parting words. 

37 minutes ago, croozen said:

We have about $450 in OBC for upcoming 10 day Baltic cruise in July. 

- internet packages

- drink packages

- gratuities 

The truly astounding thing here is the HAL REP who doesn't have a CLUE!!!  That is just sad!

If they had a halfway decent website (that actually had solid answers to basic questions), they wouldn't need to pay as many clueless people to answer their phones.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, richwmn said:

One thing to note here, if you do this your payment will not be refunded to your card, but rather to refundable OBC which if not used will be refunded to your card or cash at the end of your cruise.

Correct. No action needed on your part, it's automatic. 

41 minutes ago, croozen said:

Perhaps the rules have changed. There was no flexibility for the items I listed and we discussed the issue for upwards of 15 minutes. “That’s our policy, sorry you don’t like it ” were her parting words. 

If the rules have changes, which I really doubt, then they have changed within the last couple of weeks. While online information has said for years that non-refundable obc could not be used for gratuities, it has always been allowed on the ships.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, croozen said:

The HAL person very explicitly said these items were excluded. She said anything that is a “package” which according to HAL is laundry, internet, and drink packages. This matches what the website, rather vaguely, says as well. 

Would you please copy and paste where the website "rather vaguely" says this "  If this is the case, it is a new rule.  We have always been allowed to use OBC's on board for crew appreciation, laundry, internet, and drink packages.  If by "packages", the intent was HIA package, which would have been purchased prior to boarding, I can see understand the website's wording.  Otherwise, I think you got some bad advice.  

• Like 4

Like others, I believe the OP was given incorrect information, unless HAL has changed its rules within the last 2 weeks. OBC (which of course means "on board credit) can only be used on board, so one can't apply it in advance. But once on board, it is a credit on one's account and will show there. As a person incurs ship charges (for crew appreciation, laundry, excursions, special meals, photos--almost anything, really) the amount is debited until it is gone. If the person doesn't use it all, it is usually lost. 

• Like 3

HAL_Rotterdam.jpg

Whether it’s $100, $200, $300 or more, Onboard Credit can make a sweet vacation even sweeter. While some credits are designated for certain activities (e.g., shore excursions), others give you the opportunity to spend it in multiple ways. From rejuvenating at the spa while enjoying ocean views to making magical memories during once-in-a-lifetime excursions, we’ve got you covered. Here’s how you can put Onboard Credit to good use:

Shore Excursions

From fishing and wildlife encounters in Alaska to hot springs in Iceland and horseback riding in Half Moon Cay, you’re sure to find the perfect excursion as you explore destinations and ports of call. Capacity is limited for many activities, so book early using your Onboard Credit. Learn more

Specialty Dining

Led by a team of world-class celebrity chefs, our cruise ship dining satisfies your cravings. From Canaletto’s authentic Italian cuisine to the Pinnacle Grill’s steak and seafood, you’ll experience an amazing culinary adventure. Learn more

Beverages

With a large selection of wine, beer, cocktails, soda, specialty coffee and more, we offer a variety of options to quench your thirst and delight your senses. Learn more

Shopping

If duty-free shopping makes your heart skip a beat, then you may love using Onboard Credit in our signature shops. From attire and handbags to sparkling jewelry, we have a variety of products to choose from. Learn more

Spa

Self-care, anyone? If you enjoy indulging in onboard massages, pedicures, and facials, then you’ll love our Greenhouse Spa & Salon.® Nurture your well-being with some well-deserved pampering at sea. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/recent-articles/cruise-planning/make-the-most-of-onboard-credit/

If what everyone is saying here is true, then we will be overjoyed. But I was matter of factly told the exact opposite repeatedly today. I will try calling back later today and see if I am told the same thing. 

Addendum: why oh why can you not SEE your OBC balance when you look at your booking or account? We must take I non faith that it’s there. 

1 hour ago, julia said:

The truly astounding thing here is the HAL REP who doesn't have a CLUE!!!  That is just sad!

If they had a halfway decent website (that actually had solid answers to basic questions), they wouldn't need to pay as many clueless people to answer their phones.

Just adding another thumbs up or two or three.  HAL needs to have a true self service website with clear rules.  I can book flights and hotels online and understand the rules.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, croozen said:

If what everyone is saying here is true, then we will be overjoyed. But I was matter of factly told the exact opposite repeatedly today. I will try calling back later today and see if I am told the same thing. 

Addendum: why oh why can you not SEE your OBC balance when you look at your booking or account? We must take I non faith that it’s there. 

OBC is on your invoice 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, croozen said:

It is true.  Why trust a person that has likely never been on a ship, or possibly seen one? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, croozen said:

No it isn’t. Believe me I have looked. We never have OBC show up on the PDF they send attached to email. Or on our online account anywhere. Believe me I have looked. 

Well you must be using some TA that doesn't give you the proper paperwork. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, croozen said:

Agree with folks saying the rep either didn't understand what you wanted or the rules have changed.

3 weeks ago we used OBC for laundry and towards gratuities.

Did you want to pre-pay anything with this OBC credit? That has always been (for the 12 years I've cruised HAL) impossible since you can only use on-board credit once you're on-board.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lavictoria said:

Agree with folks saying the rep either didn't understand what you wanted or the rules have changed.

Did you want to pre-pay anything with this OBC credit? That has always been (for the 12 years I've cruised HAL) impossible since you can only use on-board credit once you're on-board.

I specifically went through each item. Laundry, internet, gratuities, drink packages. The answer to all was NO. And it was a confident no, such as it was. She went on to confirm you can only use OBC for excursions (once on board) specialty dining (once on board) spa services, and shopping. 

as I noted in my original post I wanted to prepay for excursions before sailing date so we could secure spaces. Answer NO

Edited by croozen

8 minutes ago, lavictoria said:

Correct - which is why if you want to secure excursions, for example, just book online and prepay, then once onboard go to Shore Excursions (NOT Guest Services) and have them moved to OBC. You'll get the credit back on CC at end of cruise. To be clear - the credit will go to the CC you provide for your stateroom account, which may or may not be the one you originally used to pay for the excursions (you know what that is, so just be mindful when you're looking to confirm you received the credit).

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 2